Stone Men

Koopa

Old KiwiBird
I've been reading some Robin Hobb books, as some of you probably know in her books dragons and humans influence each other. People whom are in close proximity with dragons undergo changes (just as dragons undergo changes when spending much time with humans). One of these changes is scaling.

Now i never though much of it, in reference to anything in GRRM books. However after reading up about what befell the Rhoynish and their battle with Valyria. The rise of the shrouded lord and so on. Greyscale, the stone men came to exist apparantly in GRRM's world after the river Rhoyne flooded the victorious Valyrians. I wonder if greyscale is the result of water magic and fire magic clashing in proximity to the stuff of dragons. the result of the clash stonified those influenced by it, and continues on as a disease.

I just typed this, and it all seems to farfetched. Greyscale is prob. just GRRM's version of the plague, and i'm just currently influenced by Hobb for no reason in GRRM's world.

GRRM has stated that many things influence him. Why not Robin Hobb crossed with the Black Plague?

Mostly because the Liveship Traders Trilogy started in 1998, a game of thrones was released in 1996. I'm not sure at which point in grrm's series greyscale is introduced.

Clash of Kings in the prologue isn't it?

Stannis' daughter is mentioned as having it by Maester Cressan (?), just before he drinks the poison with Melissandrei and dies. ACOK came out in '98 or '99, I believe.

Back