Herman Melville: "Bartleby," Typee, Redburn, Confidence Man, Benito Cereno, more

Extollager

I've read the ones listed above except for The Confidence Man, and, yes, I've read Moby-Dick. Let's see if anyone wants to discuss the works of this American author.
melville.jpg

Entire volumes have been written about this author, so I can't offer any fresh insights.

I have read Moby Dick twice and loved it. It may be my favorite "classic" novel. (Other contenders would be Pride and Prejudice and The Great Gatsby.) I love the style and the endless digressions into everything under the sun.

"Billy Budd" is a fine, powerful story. Give The Confidence Man a try; it's almost got a touch of Mark Twain to it. I read Pierre and found it to be an interesting, odd little book. I have also read some of the shorter pieces and generally enjoyed them. "The Encantadas" is almost a collection of flash fiction. Of course, there is the enigmatic and fascinating "Bartleby, the Scriviner." (I have been known to use the phrase "I prefer not to.")

The one Melville I didn't care for was "Benito Cereno." I haven't read his pre-Moby Dick sea novels, or Israel Potter.

I read "Benito Cereno" in a grad class. His discussion indicated the professor loved the story, but the class wasn't all that impressed: Melville takes pains to tell us how intelligent the Captain is, but the obvious answer to his mystery is under his nose and he doesn't see it. I suppose that could be chalked up to cultural preconceptions about who he was dealing with, but after "BC" came about 100 years of purposely obtuse characters in mystery fiction helping expand short story concepts into novel length works, so contemporary audiences may not react well.

Anyway, I've read Moby Dick twice, too. The first time was a chore but the second time was a joy. Just great, great story-telling, exhilarating digressions and some of the most powerful imagery in American fiction. This and Faulkner's Absalom, Absalom are the novels I think of when someone asks what are great novels.

Randy M.

My own first reading of Moby-Dick was 40 years ago in a college class; "The statements was interesting, but tough." Now I am reading it for the second time (at last), in a relaxed manner; it goes well as an adventure story, more like Rider Haggard than Faulkner. Not to say I will shun the "tough" parts or try to read with a false naivete -- but it is, so far (about 1/5 of the way) a good yarn.

Of Moby Dick , I read it a few yard ago and rather liked it. It's interesting that the book didn't find much favor with critics when it came out and went out print and didn't come back into print until 1920.

In the beginning of the book , you see Captain Ahab with his missing leg and you feel sympathy for him and you wish he could get a measure of justice for losing his leg. As the book progress, his obsession gradually becomes all consuming to the point where he not only neglects his duties and responsibilities to the ship owners, and the men under his command whose welfare and safety have become largely irrelevant Everyone including family and everything around him become expendable in his quest for vengeance on Moby Dick . Ahab is not only maimed in body but soul as well, it's if the Whale took a part of his soul when he took his leg , It's no help that Ahab the mad captain was named a mad king in ancient times.

The Whale Moby Dick , alot of symbolism there. His white hue , color of a burial shroud , color of death, which he was for Ahab and the Pequod

I read "Benito Cereno" in a grad class. His discussion indicated the professor loved the story, but the class wasn't all that impressed: Melville takes pains to tell us how intelligent the Captain is, but the obvious answer to his mystery is under his nose and he doesn't see it. I suppose that could be chalked up to cultural preconceptions about who he was dealing with, but after "BC" came about 100 years of purposely obtuse characters in mystery fiction helping expand short story concepts into novel length works, so contemporary audiences may not react well.

Anyway, I've read Moby Dick twice, too. The first time was a chore but the second time was a joy. Just great, great story-telling, exhilarating digressions and some of the most powerful imagery in American fiction. This and Faulkner's Absalom, Absalom are the novels I think of when someone asks what are great novels.

Randy M.

I loved the detailed descriptions he gave of Whaling. The detail was marvelous , but I seem to recall that he served on a ship? A Whaling ship?

Moby Dick was based one real even't , the 1819 sinking of the Ship Essex by a Sperm Whale.

Of Moby Dick , I read it a few yard ago and rather liked it. It's interesting that the book didn't find much favor with critics when it came out and went out print and didn't come back into print until 1920.

The book should have been a short story. I really could have done without the whaling lessons.

The book should have been a short story. I really could have done without the whaling lessons.

Taken as whole, I found it to be well worth reading. I loved the detail and the authenticity that Melville put into his novel.(y)

To each his own. I guess; I just never wanted to be a whaler, lol. Actually, the story - less all the whaling lessons, was great!

To each his own. I guess; I just never wanted to be a whaler, lol. Actually, the story - less all the whaling lessons, was great!

The book and film In the Heart of the Sea deals with the 1819 sinking of the Essex by a Sperm Whale which Melville based his novel on.:)

I love the 1956 adaptation of Moby Dick with Gregory Peck as Ahab and Richard Basehart as Ishmael. Interesting Voyage to the Bottom of the Seas did an episode The Ghost of Moby Dick about a scientist obsessed with tracking down a giant whale, he has similar obsession to Ahab, lost his only son in the quest for the whale. . :)

I'm glad I wasn't blamed for the Essex!! (sorry... two ex-wives, ya know; am used to being blamed for Everything!)

I'm glad I wasn't blamed for the Essex!! (sorry... two ex-wives, ya know; am used to being blamed for Everything!)

The Essex and what happened afterwards is an interesting story in and off itself.:)