Discussion -- May 2015 75-word Writing Challenge

This took even longer than usual. Initially I had an embarrassingly long list of favourites, but after some sweat and tears I got it down to this. Longlist, Shortlist:

Remedy
willwallace
Luiglin*
Victoria
JoZ
Bowler1
Harebrain
Perpetual Man
Parson
Sancho
Chrispenycate
Alchemist
Bob Senior
Teresa

It was a real struggle to decide between Remedy and Luiglin, but Luiglin got the vote by a small finger's-width. I know - terrible pun....

Thank you, Sir Broon. :)
This is why I'd prefer to have three votes for the '75...but let's not open that can of worms right now :D

oh @johnnyjet I was originally going to call my story "Möbius" too, but I changed it at the last second. I am sure my psi-senses knew that you were coming along with that word!

I guess that proves the old adage "great minds think alike," @Venusian Broon!

Just starting reading the 75 worders (having just finished reading the Anonymous Challenge 100 worders). Hoping to get back with my results soon. Ah, I see I already have a few mentions and . . . is that a vote? Whoa, I wasn't expecting that! Thanks for the mentions, Cascade & willwallace, and for the unexpected vote, @Victoria Silverwolf!

Last edited:
Hello all,

I did try to come up with something for this month but found the genres too difficult; I liked the theme of departures a lot so I'm a bit disappointed in myself. Anyway, here're my favourites and my vote*

Robert Mackay
A Fare Wells
Cascade
Victoria Silverwolf
LittleStar
Alexander2
Mosaix
TDZ

*It was a fight to the bitter end between TDZ and Victoria and I loved the kicker of both of them, but Victoria just edged a cheeky nose past the finish line.

pH

It really took some doing this month, a downpour of excellent stories and it was hard to cut it down, hence such a long shortlist:

Jo
Venusian Broon
TitaniumTi
Tywin
ratsy
Sancho
Kerry
Chris
Alc.
holland
TDZ

In the end it came down to a hairs breadth between Jo and Venusian Broon, who clinched it by a minuscule miraculous margin

I went for Time Machine Time by TenaciousB. The snippet "familiar smell of freshly soldered wires" immediately gave me enough of a picture to run with that ended up with a nice last line of soft resignation in "Not another paradox". Enjoyed that one.

Edit x1 ... Plus from a new member to boot ... nice1.
Edit x2 ... Thanks for the vote Kerry ... the Dark Lord will send round Norman.

I was going to vote for What a Difference a Day Makes by Victoria Silverwolf, great job! :) But in the end I voted for another story because I just loved this opener "He brought me roses, pink as new scars." So I voted for Happily Ever After. Nice work TitaniumTI! :)

Shortlist, Runners-up and Vote(***):

Robert Mackay
Cascade
Victoria Silverwolf
Jo Zebedee***

tenaciousb
Cat's Cradle
TitaniumTi
Tywin
Parson
ratsy
Sancho
Jastius
holland
TDZ

I feel a little awkward voting for Jo's entry since she gave me her vote this month, but I love the honour and sacrifice so well displayed in STEPPING OUTSIDE. I knew it was going to need some beating to not get my vote, when I first read it.

Last edited:
My vote will go to Remedy. "From Us All" fused a departure's sense of loss with the potential for a new start in a beautifully lyrical--albeit bittersweet--tone.

My honourable mentions go to:

Cascade
Victoria Silverwolf
Venusian Broon
Tywin
Teresa Edgerton
Parson
farntfar

The quality of every piece was astounding and very humbling. I'll have to up my game for the next one. Ah, how magnificently thrilled and strangely civilized one feels when the motivation that drives your writing is crushing your oft-superior opponents; to be able to smile as you look back at the literary bloodbath left in your scheming wake...--oops, ehrm, I meant to say, when what drives you is to best your beloved peers in respectable contest. There. All fixed. Now they'll never know what hit them. Mwaaahahaha!

and my vote went to:
Wind Blown Seeds - Bowler1

Woo-hoo - to RAY GUN blasts old west style, shooting anything that moves. A big thanks to my mentions, I think I've liked all your posts but if not, my apologies - all very FB these days.

I've not had a chance to read over any yet but will do tomorrow and will vote then.

Thanks to all for a very pleasant evening of reading the entries, some great imagination out there.

Here are my favourites:

@chrispenycate - for what reads to me as an eternally poignant journal entry, full of contemplation.
@Harusame - for creating a troubled hero that I hoped comes back.
@HareBrain - for in one go transcending eras, genres, levels of silliness, generalisations and bluntness.
@Tywin - for writing what is my kind of sci fi
@Remedy - for epitomising hope and reminding me of the RPG's I love.

But my winner was:
@TheDustyZebra - with a tale of wonderful imagination to match its malevolence. Absolutely love this one.

Way too many great entries to pick from. Finally I was able to narrow it down as follows:
My Long List, Short List and **** Favorite ****

1. From Us All - Remedy
2. What a Difference a Day Makes - Victoria Silverwolf
3. STEPPING OUTSIDE - Jo Zebedee

4. Light Speed Love – Juliana
5. We Crash Soft, Ware Forever … - Cat's Cradle
6. Recursive - Venusian Broon
7. **** Happily Ever After – TitaniumTi ****
8. All the Blood That's Shed on Earth – Hex
9. Denial - Perpetual Man
10. Class: Schön - DG Jones
11. Rise of the New Age Dad – Sancho
12. A Fresh Start – Kerrybuchanan
13. Defrag – Holland
14. Like clockwork - The Judge
15. Acherontia Clotho – TheDustyZebra

Some great entries made this month difficult but after a lot of head scratching, several cups of tea and a jammy dodger, I managed to whittle it down to a Shortlist, My favourites and **My vote**:

Momento Mori - Will Wallace
We crash soft, ware forever - Cats
Forever Leaving - Little Star
Burning Purpose - Winter Light
**The Ashman - Jastius**
Like Clockwork - The Judge
What could possibly go wrong - Mosaix
Grimward - Aparture

Thank you Sancho. Had to look up jammy dodgers ('cuz we call them boring names like "shortbread cookie with raspberry jam" over here); I think I'll try that strategy next month when voting! :D

Thought I'd better get in here to vote before the last day, as crazy as things are around here this week. Many thanks for the beautiful votes and all the lovely mentions -- you know who you are! :D

*Jo -- Stepping Outside*
TitaniumTi -- Happily Ever After
Tywin -- The Interplanetary Excursion...
ratsy -- Always a Hero
Kerry -- A Fresh Start
alchemist -- The day Daddy let me drive his spaceship
Teresa- Not Everyone Gets a Happy Ending
mosaix -- What Could Possibly Go Wrong...
Ursa -- Loans U Can't Imagine Financing: Easy Rates (there, I fixed that for you)

And apologies to Perp -- it appears that I inadvertently stole your character's name. I was wondering where mine came from.

Thank you Sancho. Had to look up jammy dodgers ('cuz we call them boring names like "shortbread cookie with raspberry jam" over here); I think I'll try that strategy next month when voting! :D
You're very welcome. I loved your story, just wish I had more votes(y) But keep your hands off shortbread cookies with jam (somehow doesnt have the same ring to it as Jammy dodgers):lol:

Victoria and Springs do of course get mentions, how could they not? Kerrybauchanan, Ratsy and Littlestar caught my attention too.

I was torn between four different posts, as follows:
HB - LBW, very good.
TDZ - very effective and a nice twist.
Culwich - super hero's are always cool.
Teresa - Not quite a happy ever after.

HB by a tiny margin. I do like a funny ending.

Back