Discussion -- May 2015 75-word Writing Challenge

holland -- To a great extent it is our memories which make us who we are. If our minds begin as blank slates, ready to be written upon, it is also true that time acts as an eraser, removing much of the message. If we could only control that eraser, instead of leaving it to the whims of chance, we might be able to shape ourselves into the people we want to be.

After 23 days without even the tiniest scrap of an idea, I was growing discouraged. I hate not participating. Finally, soon after waking this morning, I had an idea. With just hours left to write something, I sprang from my bed (slight exaggeration), sprinted to my computer (large exaggeration), and began to work on it.

After 23 days without even the tiniest scrap of an idea, I was growing discouraged. I hate not participating. Finally, soon after waking this morning, I had an idea. With just hours left to write something, I sprang from my bed (slight exaggeration), sprinted to my computer (large exaggeration), and began to work on it.

Your reputation had me laughing when you said "I sprang from my bed." But when I read the story (and a fine one it is!) I saw all of the nuance that you put into your comment. My only question is "Which role are you being cast for?" :p

Grimward -- Any departure involves leaving someone behind, whether a close relative, a beloved friend, or simply those who share the same homeland. Mixed with the anticipation of our destination is nostalgia for those who wait for our return. This assumes, of course, that we will return. If this is in doubt, the pang of memory is even more poignant.

Teresa Edgerton -- Tales of mighty deeds often involve beings who scarcely seem human. With their supreme beauty, wisdom, courage, and strength, they are more like gods. It is understandable if those of us who are flawed hope that our idols turn out to have feet of clay.

Any relationship between my comments about what happened this morning and the actual story itself are coincidental.

I often get my ideas first thing in the morning, although to be honest, when leaving my bed it's a great deal more like crawling than anything so vigorous as springing.

Any relationship between my comments about what happened this morning and the actual story itself are coincidental.

I often get my ideas first thing in the morning, although to be honest, when leaving my bed it's a great deal more like crawling than anything so vigorous as springing.

Despite the name change, I still claim the ultimate spring-y-ness on the Chrons.

Enjoyed reading all of them, and will have to do so at least two more times to even think about voting.

In the meanwhile:
Nicely turned, Robert M.
Gave me shudders, Perp. Well done!
Cute, alch. Reminded me of the first time I "slept" in the car on a long trip with my new-to-driving daughter behind the wheel...
Hysterical, Teresa. Bravo!

mosaix -- The possibility of one of humanity's technological achievements having unexpected consequences is a very real one. The rise of the automobile brought air pollution, scenic blight, and violent death. Only by considering carefully all the ramifications of our inventions can we hope to minimize this problem.

mosaix -- The possibility of one of humanity's technological achievements having unexpected consequences is a very real one. The rise of the automobile brought air pollution, scenic blight, and violent death. Only by considering carefully all the ramifications of our inventions can we hope to minimize this problem.

Eurovision?

The Judge -- "The smallest worm will turn, being trodden on . . ." -- Henry VI, Part III. So the Bard of Avon reminds us of the fact that even the meekest may be pushed to the limit, and strike back. Those who oppress the weak had best take care to always keep at least one eye open.

Sheesh. I thought I was going to miss this month's. Not a bare scintilla of an idea until late morning, but unlike Teresa I couldn't sprint to the computer -- springing out of bed already long past -- since we were half-way up a castle at the time. We got back late, famished and exhausted, and it's taken me all evening to try and get the scintilla into shape. Am now about to spring into bed.

I admire your ability to spring so late in the day. By bedtime, I am no longer able to even manage a crawl. It's more like an ooze in the direction of the bedroom.

And a reminder to everyone who has not yet posted their stories (as if the fact that Cul and TJ already have stories in were not reminder enough) that time is getting short.

@TheDustyZebra

I cracked earlier.

For weeks I tried to expand on four ideas that went no where. I was always trying to think of anything else. No muse, no nothing, just emptiness.

I floated in a void of empty space, while occasionally being hit by passing meteors.

(wanders off - looking for something to do)

I had an inkling of an idea this morning, but feared it would turn out be too long (even after removing all those inconsequential bits that might explain to the reader a little of what it might be about). But even the Eurovision voting didn't inspire me -- one has to search for one's muse where one can (it wasn't there) -- so I thought I'd better write something.

Imagine my surprise when it came in under budget first time. But then, I'd already given up on making it comprehensible....

Ursa major -- There are many of us to whom the bewildering terms of financial transactions are as incomprehensible as the writings of ancient, vanished civilizations who failed to leave Rosetta stones. Unfortunately, there are many who are willing to take advantage of our ignorance.

But then, I'd already given up on making it comprehensible....

Uh-oh. I think I do understand it (and I think it is very clever), which makes me think that there must be even more there than I think I see.

_____

Well, what an excellent month this has been—the best we have had in a long time, I think. Congratulations to everyone who wrote a story! You've met the challenge and that makes you a winner however the voting turns out.

And many thanks to Culhwch for giving us such an interesting theme.

I had to look these over about four times, writing down names and making check marks and then a circle around my final selection. That must say something about the high quality of the entries.

Long List

Robert Mackay
willwallace
Karn Maeshalanadae
Tywin
farntfar
alchemist

Short List

Jo Zebedee
TitaniumTi
DG Jones
Parson