Discussion -- May 2015 75-word Writing Challenge

Chris: A lovely piece of poetry. My only problem is I'm not sure if its deep or incomprehensible. :eek::p

Elvensnob: poignantly lyrical with a hint of the kind of jade that puts the bite in bitter. (y)

I've not had much time to post anything here for months and I've missed the challenges!
I've been feeling fairly unpractised lately, so it's great to have a little time to participate again, especially amongst a veritable host of lovely ready-treats from those who have already posted!

I had to cut my narrative extra short because of my inability to count words properly :(. It is only my second challenge, and hyphenated words are already the bane of my challenge-entering existence. But I do have a "bane" in my existence, which in itself is already kinda cool. Like having an arch-enemy.

Germinad -- The difficulty of determining the exact nature of a human being becomes more than a theoretical question as technology progresses. Both biological and computational advances promise to reach the point where artificial sentience will come into being. When this happen, profound ethical problems will confront us.

fatntfar -- The relationship between parent and offspring is a special one, unlike any other. In no other situation, it seems, is an adult so likely to remain a child, or a caregiver so likely to become a dependent. The emotional bond between the generations must be a very strong one to resist such tensions.

chrispenycate -- Many of us have felt the sensation of being strangers in a strange land. How much stronger is this emotion when it is time, rather than space, which separates use from our homeland. The dilemma of future shock admits of no easy solution.

Void -- It is a sobering fact that companions must be eventually be parted, whether by circumstances or bereavement. We must learn to savor the moments we have together before they are gone forever.

Great stories, all of them.

If I'm allowed (moderators), please can I remind those who have already written their 75'ers that there are only a few hours left to get your entry in for the 100 word anonymous challenge? It closes at midnight (GMT) tonight, theme Reflection, genre SciFi/Fantasy.

A good number of entries so far this month and voting should be fun.

Bowler1 pauses, as a humming fly glides past. With a smile, he draws his RAY GUN and fires - a miss, fires again - a miss, rapid fire and bellowing smoke fills the office and the fire alarm goes off. Bowler1 smiles - that got the little git.

A buzz, more humming and a happy fly zooms past Bowler1's not so happy face. He fires. Fires again and the roof falls in. The buzzing fly escapes.

I'll have to get a broad beam weapon for the long summer months thinks Bowler1, while making off to the sound of distant sirens.

@Culhwch I had always wondered about capes. But I never thought about how dangerous they were. :eek:

Culhwch -- No matter how hard one tries to do the right thing, there will always be circumstances when one fails. It is tempting to give in to despair in these circumstances. The difficult thing to do is to remember than one's reach should exceed one's grasp.

Finally thought of something with a day or two to spare.....

No corny jokes this time, I've actually been serious, if a bit sketchy.

High Eight -- Superstition grips the human mind in an iron fist, denying freedom of thought to those who would defy it. Those who take advantage of this power to oppress their fellows may find themselves victims of it in time.

Alexander2 -- There are few more poignant moments than bidding farewell to those who go off to fight our battles. We know that many of them will never return. Of those who do, almost all will be irreversibly changed by their experiences, and may become strangers to us.

alchemist -- One of the many challenges of parenthood is trying to determine when children can be expected to take on various responsibilities. Too early, and the consequences of ignorance may be unpleasant. Too late, and the child may remain timid and immature. Finding the correct balance requires intelligence and sensitivity.

Bob Senior -- Sometimes it seems that the things we do for pleasure are at least as stressful as those we do out of necessity. Adding to this seemingly paradox is the fact that we often engage in recreational activities because we think we should enjoy them the way others do. The power of cultural norms applies even to fun.

I'm annoyed that I just couldn't get anything written that resembles a story this month.

No worries, I'll be fine (by tomorrow).​

Last edited:
Oops, forgot to say that we had to remove an entry for being over word-count. As is often the case, it seems likely to have been a mistake caused by relying on a computer to count the words. As the word-count pixie has now tattooed on his forehead, don't do this!

Last day. And:- Big J, Crystal Haven, martin321, mosaix, Mouse, Phyrebrat, Starbeast, Teresa Edgerton, The Judge, TheDustyZebra and Ursa major (recognisable, many of those names?) yet to enter (and I was going to say 'arrived at fifty submissions', but the previous post has stymied that). But, with the addition of:- Alexander2, BluePhoenix711, Germinad, geronl, Harusame, LittleStar, marmalade, TØny Hine and tenaciousb we have comfortably passed the four hundred mark for people who have submitted, even allowing for split personalities like BluePhoenix711 and springs/Jo.

Now, if we can only live up to last month and interest more voters than there were entrants…

Last edited:
You can cross me off the list :D

I managed to read just the first page so far, and I know I have 30 more stories, but I think I already have a clear winner, it's gonna be extremely difficult for something to top it.

Back