Falling Numbers -- Fewer Members Entering the Challenge

I haven't noticed a dramatic drop in numbers from when I started entering in 2013.

October 2013 75word - number of entries: 47 --- (my first)
April 2015 75word - number of entries: 44 --- (most recent)

October 2013 300word - number of entries: 34 --- (my first)
April 2015 300word - number of entries: 35 --- (most recent)

I miss reading entries from the likes of Boneman, Hex, Mr Orange, Abernovo and many more (from my brief time here). But they're most likely very busy and may well return to the challenges (I know some are taking a break). And they probably took part in the challenges for much longer than I currently have.
Some newer people have stuck at it consistently also, keeping the numbers comfortably balanced, I would say.

As for the motivation to enter: I already mentioned a story that, one day, I'd like to write one as-good-as. I've never won a challenge in 1.5 years, but that's never stopped me (I think the best I've managed is a couple of 3rd places). I want to improve and I feel like I do (slowly). Also, I enter to try new ideas and have a go at something I never thought I'd try - Steampunk month was my favourite!

Those that sweep in for one challenge and don't win, so leave - probably have a few things to learn about life and themselves... I like to think we help them ;)

''Does a single picture ever tell a whole story? No. Maybe some potential new entrants to the 300 might think too literally on the picture and therefore shy away.''

But that's the whole point, it's meant to inspire us, if it told a whole story it is likely many entries would take the same route. By leaving it open ended one has a lot more room to be inventive and will generally produce more diverse entries, I don't think we are supposed to fit our story to the picture, but use the picture as a starting point. Think of it as a muse :)

Well yes, but how many new members or lurkers looking through interpret it as a simple muse?

They see a picture and the genre and might think, "I have to come up with something about THAT!?!" Might put them off their tea...

But beyond that, for every new member that does stick around and really become part of the community, I've seen many make just one post and never return.

But Karn, that has always been true. There have always been many new members who never go beyond a post or two in their introduction thread. People join on impulse, then decide they really aren't that interested in being part of an online community.

Yes, but even so, at least in my eyes, there were a lot more older members being a lot more active then. That's one of the issues I was bringing up here-the massive loss of older members. Now, I'm sure people have dropped before and all, but it really feels like that perhaps, the ratios of member loss to member gain were a little heavy at one point?

But it is almost 2 a.m. here so I probably don't know what the flibble I'm talking about, haha.

There should probably be a rule to not allow me to post after 10 p.m. PST. :D

Actually, I did my first challenge after an especially brilliant entry from alchemist too. The "Punishment" one.

I don't think there's anything very obvious we can do (except perhaps publicise more widely outside the Chrons?). It is the case that votes are sometimes focused on a few excellent entries, it's also true that sometimes they're very widely spread, and, since fewer people tend to vote than enter the challenges, many entries will not get any votes.

Also, as Juliana said (?), sometimes the entry one slaved over or particularly adores gets nothing, and another does really well. It's an excellent lesson in learning that what people appreciate is not always what you expect. There's nothing we can do to change that (and there's nothing we should do!)

not nearly so discouraging as seeing polls month after month of having no votes.

I think that might be something that is a major putoff; all the votes tend to cluster around maybe two or three entries and a good portion receive little to none, as in, maybe one or two votes at most when others could have more than three times that amount. To me, personally, there's no bigger disappointment than putting heart and soul into anything and some months not even see one's name in the running, hehe. So I can't imagine how it could be to some who've put in maybe two or three months worth and get nothing.
[my bolding] Just to say I have no doubt we all feel this. I've been lucky in that some of my stories have chimed with people on some occasions, but I've also sweated over stories in consecutive months which have each received only a bare couple of mentions. Yes, it is dispiriting. Yes, it is discouraging. And if we have other things going on in our lives dragging us down, then it's yet another spadeful of dirt landing on the coffin in which confidence is lying moribund.

However -- and just to make it clear that although this is written in response to Karn's comment, it is not directed at Karn, but is a general message -- if someone is going month after month after month with few if any mentions, let alone votes, then perhaps the answer isn't for her to give up on the Challenges, but to look critically at her stories and ask herself if there is any improvement which could be made to her story-telling technique or punctuation or grammar. We have the "Improving..." threads which are there to provide feedback. Perhaps we should be making more use of them.

Just had a thought (call an ambulance!)

Someone mentioned before, regarding the "in-jokes" and perceived "cliquey-ness" putting people off, and I can imagine that being the case sometimes. I remember wondering about it a little before dipping my toe in. Of course, I couldn't have been more wrong.

However, one of the biggest shields against that is Victoria, Starbeast, Perp Man, DG Jones and other regular reviewers. Ensuring that nobody is forgotten or side-lined. If you get a month where your story goes pretty-much unlisted, you can always know that someone read it and looked for the best in it.

I don't know if I have a point after that, except just to say that their efforts do a lot for the challenges I suspect (even inspiring a certain Remedy I know, to have a go).

I remember after my first entry, I was so excited to get a review that I nearly faux pas'ed and asked for one!!! :eek:

I have to agree with Remedy. I'm always amazed that the reviewers manage to come up with something positive to say about every single story - even those I don't understand. Somewhere I started a thread praising our original reviewer - Perp. Everything I said there still stands of course but it now seems right that I should extend the comments to all the others - thank you very much.

However, one of the biggest shields against that is Victoria, Starbeast, Perp Man, DG Jones and other regular reviewers. Ensuring that nobody is forgotten or side-lined. If you get a month where your story goes pretty-much unlisted, you can always know that someone read it and looked for the best in it.

I have to agree with Remedy. I'm always amazed that the reviewers manage to come up with something positive to say about every single story - even those I don't understand. Somewhere I started a thread praising our original reviewer - Perp. Everything I said there still stands of course but it now seems right that I should extend the comments to all the others - thank you very much.

I have nothing to add to either of these quotes - I just felt both these sentiments are so on point that they bore repeating and highlighting.

@Hex I just noticed you've only been here since 2011! It feels like you've been here forever :D

Reactions: Hex
But Karn, that has always been true. There have always been many new members who never go beyond a post or two in their introduction thread. People join on impulse, then decide they really aren't that interested in being part of an online community.

A-ha.. as someone who happened upon his site when it came back as one of the results on my search for horror writers (!) I feel rather special now, having stayed the course :)

Also, as Juliana said (?), sometimes the entry one slaved over or particularly adores gets nothing, and another does really well. It's an excellent lesson in learning that what people appreciate is not always what you expect. There's nothing we can do to change that (and there's nothing we should do!)

and

[my bolding] Just to say I have no doubt we all feel this. I've been lucky in that some of my stories have chimed with people on some occasions, but I've also sweated over stories in consecutive months which have each received only a bare couple of mentions. Yes, it is dispiriting. Yes, it is discouraging. And if we have other things going on in our lives dragging us down, then it's yet another spadeful of dirt landing on the coffin in which confidence is lying moribund.

However -- and just to make it clear that although this is written in response to Karn's comment, it is not directed at Karn, but is a general message -- if someone is going month after month after month with few if any mentions, let alone votes, then perhaps the answer isn't for her to give up on the Challenges, but to look critically at her stories and ask herself if there is any improvement which could be made to her story-telling technique or punctuation or grammar. We have the "Improving..." threads which are there to provide feedback. Perhaps we should be making more use of them.

This... but also perhaps in a survival-of-the-fittest way I'd also add (in a gruff, misanthropic kinda way reminiscent of the Punch and Judy guy from Hi-di-Hi - or Doc Cottle from BSG) if you drop out of these challenges despite all the attendant support that Chrons offers, then you're probably not going to fare very well in the world trying to get published. That probably makes me sound callous but I think it's clear from the benefits that have been pointed out above, this is one of the most empowering, resourceful and helpful corners on the internet for genre writers and if you are that needy... well...

pH

I did my first challenge because Chris P bullied me into it three days before closing date.

Ok.. I'll give the 75 word one a go. They are useful little pieces to have around.

I much agree Phyrebrat, the support and respect of competitors and onlookers alike does a lot to boost confidence, qualities lacking from other internet communities and the publishing world.

I feel that certain themes/genres can be intimidating to newer members like myself, but you have to look at it the right way. I take it as a learning experience, and now, for example, I have an idea what meta-fiction is, whereas before the challenge I was clueless.
For those who come to this site not knowing very much about writing's many facets, it can seem very daunting at times. Some members are so obviously extremely knowledgeable I can see where it could turn off a newer member, however unintentional. Someone may be hesitant to post in a challenge for fear of looking bad or stupid, although I've never seen anything but positive comments here.
As for older members not participating as much, though I haven't been around long enough to see that, it seems to me that any forum needs to turn over membership over the course of years to stay fresh. Now, that doesn't mean that everyone should leave after X amount of time, just that people come and go in the natural course of things as life dictates. Having a good core of people doesn't mean individual members can't be replaced. Yes, you may lose a certain mix of talents that someone who leaves brought to the table. But other newer members may bring something new to the forum that can benefit everyone, as well.

And I would like to add, for everyone who goes to the trouble to review the challenge entries, it is a pleasure to read your takes on the stories. Keep up the good work!!! :)

I never did an introduction thread... I saw how people dropped out, and was afraid there was a curse of the mummy's tomb thing going about. (One never knows what is lurking in the basement of a speculative fiction thread... :eek:..)
I saw that the people who stuck about were the greeters, for the main part. So I greeted others and never put up my own thread of doom. :whistle:

i found this place because of the authors forums, and devilsgrin and Ace were kind enough to flag myself and several others in to the main active parts of the forum from the mini discussion us newly hatched chronium members were having in the back threads.
perhaps some newbies are needing a map out of the stacks?

I did my first challenge because Chris P bullied me into it three days before closing date.

Ok.. I'll give the 75 word one a go. They are useful little pieces to have around.
Who, me? Are you sure it wasn't someone else? After all, I hardly bully anyone…

But I do feel a bit guilty; I used to generate a personalised introduction post for practically every newcomer who took the time to introduce him, her or itself. Recently, I have been a bit lax - mayhap I should try to make sure everyone knows the challenges exist, and are open to everyone even if it might be their first post. I've been not following critiques, too - or is that either?

Will try harder.

Back