Really quick question.

Tywin

I always pay my debts.
Supporter
I have a piece of dialogue where I have a sentence that is worded as a question, but actually isn't a question. I would use this in normal conversation as a statement of agreement.

Here's the sentence, said in agreement with another character who is talking about how violent their sector is:
“It is a kinda rough neighborhood, isn’t it.”

Thoughts?

I don't have any problem with that sort of question being put forth as a statement, without a question mark. I assume that's what you're asking. In my editing, whether I will change that to a question mark depends on the tone and the context.

In this case, because it's a statement of agreement and it sounds like the pitch would drop at the end of the sentence rather than go up, interrogatively, I would leave it as a period.

This just happens. All the time. It's no problem. Is that clear. (<This doesn't quite work unless a rabid drill instructor is shouting it) Is that clear!
Isn't it will appear at the end of the sentence and other things might too. I'd have to look. Because I noticed it and changed it. Then read it later and changed it back.

We've had this question before, and it's gone on far longer.

My take: it is a question, so should, technically, have a question-mark. BUT, whenever I see a question-mark, I automatically add an upwards inflection, which is not how these particular "questions" should sound. For me, the decision is based on which of these two is most important. For me, the lack of question-mark is the lesser problem, because it doesn't affect my ability to make sense of the words, whereas adding the upwards inflection, then realising I've "heard" it wrong, is momentarily confusing and disruptive. So I'd leave off the question-mark, personally.

(Which is just a longer version of what TDZ said. But Brian's paying us all by the word, right?)

Personally, it would grate on me to read it without a question mark.

If you simply want it to be a statement, taking "isn't it" from the end retains that without potential confusion.

I'd go for a question mark. As the artist formerly known as Springs said, rhetorical questions are still questions.

Yes, Brian, but taking the "innit" off the end, while not changing the content transmitted in the words, changes information about the speaker. I'm quite ready, in dialogue, to put a question mark after a statement, to make it clear that the sentence is not quite as convinced as the words in it might indicate, or not use one when a sergeant yells "and we don't want them creeping round behind us, do we!" which is not a question, never mind how it's phrased. People have characteristic speech patterns, and rarely stop to consider if they're entirely grammatical.

Those rhetorical closing phrases change the delivery of the statement with, or without, the interrogative.

Reactions: Hex
I'm sticking by my period for the following reasons:

1) This is not meant at all as a question, but as a statement.

2) It is the pattern of speech that I use, so I have some evidence that it is authentic. I don't want to change the wording to avoid the issue, at least in the case of actual dialogue.

Oh goody. Now we're doing this properly.

So, I agree with HareBrain: if it's not meant to be a question with a rising intonation, I punctuate with a full-stop because otherwise I get twitchy and sweaty and cross.

Ultimately, though, it's clearly a stylistic issue so choose the option that works for you.

To me, it's simply a matter of what you want the reader to understand from the sentence: if it's to be spoken as a statement, the full stop is the correct punctuation mark; if it (that last phrase, that is) is to spoken as a question, the sentence requires a question mark.

The blanket use of a question mark and the blanket use of a full stop are both wrong, in my book; the punctuation should be there to inform, not misinform, the reader.

Reactions: Hex
Try this one:

Well, isn't this a nice state of affairs?

If you emphasise the "isn't", and add a rising inflection because of the question mark, your brain explodes with how awful it sounds.

I don't think you're trying.

"Well. Isn't this a nice state of affairs?!"