Who is the best television music composer?

REBerg

Registered Alien
Supporter
Who creates that main theme music you never fast-forward through to get to the start of a recorded program, maybe even have added to your music collection for standalone listening enjoyment?

Looks like this old web spider has spun yet another dead thread.

I admit that I could not have named a television theme composer (other than Alexander Courage, of course, may he rest in peace) before the reincarnation of Battle Star Galactica came along. I was entranced by the haunting beauty of the main theme introduced in BSG season two to the point where I actually learned who wrote it – Bear McCreary.

Much to my delight, his name has since appeared on an amazing string of shows I have watched. Among these are Caprica, The Walking Dead, Outlander, Black Sails, Da Vinci's Demons, Marvel's Agents of SHIELD, Human Target and The Cape.

Even without the often stunning graphics that accompany these themes, I enjoy listening to them. I have a work-in-progress playlist of these themes on my iPod, which, in addition to McCreary compositions, includes Ramin Djawadi's Game of Thrones opener.

A nice roundup of McCreary themes, with commentary appears on tv.com.

http://www.tv.com/news/bear-mccreary-tv-themes-142229658767/