Melbourne Barrister leaves State a truly wonderful book collection.

GOLLUM

Hi there.

I thought this may be of interest to some of you.

In my hometown of Melbourne a local Barrister, Dr. John Emmerson QC, has bequeathed his magnificent collection of antiquarian books estimated at over 8 million dollars (not that items like this need necessarily have a price placed upon them) to the Sate Library of Victoria.

Following is an extract from one of the reports but I would encourage you to click on the below links.

Professor Paul Salzman, from La Trobe University, said only the British Library and the Bodleian Library in Oxford have books and documents that rival the Emmerson collection.
"It's going to take historians a long time to work their way through this material because there is so much of it," Professor Salzman said
"What you are getting is the primary materials about the civil war itself, the eventual capture, trial and execution of Charles I, right down to minute detail that was being published and distributed pretty much as the events took place."
Other notable books included the first illustrated edition of Milton's famous poem Paradise Lost published in 1688.
There was also the first collected, printed edition of John Donne's poetry and what is believed to be a rare first edition of Death's Duel, the last sermon Donne preached before his death in 1631.
Early editions of Daniel Defoe's Robinson Crusoe and Jonathan Swift's Gulliver's Travels were also part of the collection.
One of the most striking books is a copy of Richard Hooker's The Laws of Ecclesiastical Politie (1635) thought to have been owned by Queen Henrietta Maria, King Charles' wife.
The Victorian State library said it would take up to five years to properly catalogue the Emmerson collection.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-...by-king-charles-i-donated-to-victoria/6393386

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-16/the-john-emmerson-collection-five-rare-books/6395636

Best of all a number of books will be put on permanent display for the public in the library's famous domed reading room. In case you've forgotten what it looks like here's our local reading room. I'll be there this weekend...

LibraryDome.jpg

Yes I think it was a great thing that he did insisting that the collection be kept together and made available to the public and scholars alike. The collection is over 5,000 books and is the largest single bequest in the library's 160 year history.

Dr Emmerson's gift to the State Library included a fund of more than $1 million to be used for the care of his books and to fund fellowships for visiting scholars.

Emmerson did last year aged 76.

Quite a legacy.....

R.I.P.

I have walked past it lots of times, but never been in.
Lived in Armadale aged 9 for a year in 1976. Borrowed my first ever SF read, Starman Jones from Toorak library.
Then worked in Melbourne CBD for 6 months around the millennium. Have not been back since 2000, unfortunately.

I have walked past it lots of times, but never been in.
Lived in Armadale aged 9 for a year in 1976. Borrowed my first ever SF read, Starman Jones from Toorak library.
Then worked in Melbourne CBD for 6 months around the millennium. Have not been back since 2000, unfortunately.
Perhaps it's time for a revisit then eh?...:)

Anyone who wishes to visit this fair City you're all welcome.

I would love to have another extended stay in Melbourne, see old friends, and a have chance to go wild in the deepest Victorian bush. Unfortunately, 12,000 miles, children at school etc. Things to do when I retire...