Unsuccessful epic fantasy?

Well, Maia is available in Kindle, but not technically "in print" other than used. I remember it making sense. Maybe I would have gotten more out of it had I read Shardik, but I'm not so inclined after reading Maia. I just found it gratuitous. As one reviewer on Amazon stated:

Some parts don't really ring true; I did not find it convincing, for example, that Maia could be excited to orgasm by the whipping of a fellow concubine, and then so thoroughly revulsed by all the violence (and there is plenty) that comes later.

I would think it would take a hell of a lot of Pavlovian training to accomplish this. But hey, it's fantasy...and it comes off that way...oh dear, that pun was not intended! (but I'm going to leave it anyway--the :devilish: made me do it)

Sounds like a weak erotica. Even they often have more joined up plot than that... :D

Jennifer L. C.

You mentioned Angus Wells and that his Godwars series was on your forgotten list. And of course, I'm assuming you read it. However, you didn't say whether or not you enjoyed it. I would be interested to know how you felt about it.

I have that very series in my own library, and I must admit I found it quite enjoyable. I also have his Book of the Kingdoms series. Perhaps I'm the anomaly, but I found both series very entertaining. Without an ounce of shame, I will say that I find Wells' story-lines and writing style quite suitable to my tastes. If he truly is being forgotten, then I find that a true shame, indeed.

As a huge fan of Richard Adams - especially his first three books - I also was amazed by the tone of Maia. I wonder if he had a touch of Old Man's Syndrome, such as affected Jack Vance in his later years (Lyonesse III - I'm looking at you). It's one of those books that you hope, for the sake of the author's reputation, stays perpetually OOP.

Shardik is a completely different sort of book, I was quite appalled by change of tone in Maia and wondered even was it same person! It ought to be forgotten. Now I need mind bleach in my coffee :(

I was tempted to pick up Shadrik. It sounds like I didn't miss much.

I don't know about that particular book, but it is a point worth noting that you can't just have big detours into the Other Sort of Fantasy and not be called up on it. The readers will notice, the way that they tend to notice any excessive authorial indulgence. For one thing, are readers going to be terribly interested in the author's lengthy dalliance with Mary Sue? Also, if the hero spends 30 pages in the dungeon of the Flagellant Nuns, is he actually in any danger? If not, why is this wasting 30 pages of story? If so, why is the hero (and author) enjoying it so much?

Well, Maia is available in Kindle, but not technically "in print" other than used. I remember it making sense. Maybe I would have gotten more out of it had I read Shardik, but I'm not so inclined after reading Maia. I just found it gratuitous. As one reviewer on Amazon stated:

Some parts don't really ring true; I did not find it convincing, for example, that Maia could be excited to orgasm by the whipping of a fellow concubine, and then so thoroughly revulsed by all the violence (and there is plenty) that comes later.

I would think it would take a hell of a lot of Pavlovian training to accomplish this. But hey, it's fantasy...and it comes off that way...oh dear, that pun was not intended! (but I'm going to leave it anyway--the :devilish: made me do it)

the issue with this is it does seem that an awful lot (pun intended) of 'dark fantasy'/'paranormal romance' seems to contain this (Laurel K Hamilton I'm looking at you in the first instance, but she's not alone. Most seem, IMO, to be a cross betweeb Barbara Cartland & 50 Shades).

Back on topic... forgotten:

Amtrak Wars (I know, I know it is really scifi but....)
War of Powers
The Book of Words trilogy
The Elenium/Tamuli (certainly when compared to The Belgariad)

Last edited:
Two books to really look into are The Dwarves it's a fantastic book from what I can remember (I don't know if it is categorized as epic fantasy). I think there are 3 or 4 books. The other book is The Wanderer ' Talent the entire journey takes 2 books VERY good book!

Jennifer L. C.

You mentioned Angus Wells and that his Godwars series was on your forgotten list. And of course, I'm assuming you read it. However, you didn't say whether or not you enjoyed it. I would be interested to know how you felt about it.

I have that very series in my own library, and I must admit I found it quite enjoyable. I also have his Book of the Kingdoms series. Perhaps I'm the anomaly, but I found both series very entertaining. Without an ounce of shame, I will say that I find Wells' story-lines and writing style quite suitable to my tastes. If he truly is being forgotten, then I find that a true shame, indeed.

Hey Ronald T, sorry to take so long to reply. I dropped off for a bit. I read the Wells series a LONG time ago, but I remember liking it very much. I wouldn't have read all three if I hadn't. Never looked up to see if he did anything else so I was pleased to find out he has another. Must put it on my to do list.

I also very much enjoyed Hiero's Journey. That series was a post apocalyptic fantasy, which I liked. I was a teen then so don't know what I'd say today.

Also on forgotten fantasy list: Battlefield Earth by Hubbard. I really enjoyed that, too. However, I never read past that book (it was long enough to be it's own series!). Hubby tried and said he didn't like the next couple of SF books Hubbard wrote, so I never tried them.

Hi, Jennifer L. C.,

Fear not! I'm a true believer in the idea that we all have different timetables based on the priorities of life. Because of that, I take no offense when those varying timetables require a pause or a delay. It's all part of life. But I thank you for your thoughtful response. It was well received.

And I'm happy to hear you enjoyed Angus Wells' GOD WARS series. I hope you feel the same joy and appreciation for his THE BOOKS OF THE KINGDOMS series. I found both of these series a pleasure to read. However, I will admit that I read them a LONG time ago, as well. Yet, my fondness for them still lingers in the happy corners of my mind.

Like you, I read Hubbard's BATTLEFIELD EARTH, and enjoyed it thoroughly. But I was horrified by the movie production starring John Travolta. I've seen other poorly done movie renditions of books I found enjoyable and well written, but none that left me as speechless and disgusted as this one. Of course, that's just one man's opinion. And like you, I only read one of Hubbard's books. Perhaps his philosophy on life left me less than willing to go any further. Who knows?

All the same, I thank for your reply.

As always, my best to all of you,

The hermit in the woods.

http://bestfantasybooks.com/best-fantasy-books-you've-never-read.html

This is a better list. I've read most of it. Guess I like forgotten fantasy ;)
I've read some of those ... shocked that Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser (Fritz Leiber) is considered forgotten! And Lyonesse.
And the Amber series .....!!! And Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising series (which did not deserve that terrible film).
Lyndon Hardy's series was also very good, liked the logical way the magic system worked.

I did give up on Janny Wurtz though; all that angst in massive tome after massive tome and little plot development....

Does anyone recall "The Lords of Dûs" series written by Lawrence Watt Evans in the 80's? I think that this meets the bill. I was quite fond of this author and the series many years ago but you don't hear much talk of him now. I also liked his novel "The Misenchanted Sword".