Book/TV Show Divergences

Pedro Del Mar

I am content
Hi all,

Does anyone have a link, point me in the right direction or would even mind posting for me please the ways in which the books and the TV show diverge?

Thank you in advance

Crooksy

Crooksy, are you sure you want to know? Dropped plot lines... features a fairly recent discussion regarding AFFC, ADWD, and speculation from TWOW. Caveat emptor. I only looked through the most recent six pages of GRRM, but you may find more if you go back further or if you look in the AGOT TV show forum.

Major spoilers, but apparently some episodes have been leaked early, and in them
Sansa Stark is told to marry Ramsay Bolton... Yikes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Major spoilers, but apparently some episodes have been leaked early, and in them
Sansa Stark is told to marry Ramsay Bolton... Yikes.

There is more than that. Major spoilers for TV show. Nothing for the future books. Differences in Season 5 with the book events.

Ramsay was implied to be in love with Sansa. Barristan and Grey Worm die at the end of last leaked episode. Cersei vs Margaery are both openly turning Tommen against the other. Jaime and Bronn are heading to Dorne. Brienne is in the north with Pod. Melisandre offered Jon to have sex with her and then when he refused her because he still loves Yggrite, Mel told him: "You know nothing, Jon Snow". Tyrion couldn't f*ck a girl in a brothel because he still loves Shae. Mace Tyrell is a simpering fool sent to negotiate with Iron Bank. Loras, the heir of Highgarden was arrested by the faith for sodomy. Arienne doesn't exist. Only 3 Sand Snakes exist and they are all pretty much the same. Ellaria is a vengeful biatch. Mance Ryder was actually killed. Stannis was the one to bring on Greyscale to Shireen. Davos isn't going to White Harbour. Jaqen H'ghar is the Kindly Man. Oldtown plot was apparently dropped. Dany is bipolar. Maggy's prophecy does not mention valongar at all. There is no prophecy for Cersei's friend. Jaime is paranoid, impossible to reason with taking that role from Cersei. Varys is boring to say the least and apparently swears like a sailor. Stannis planned to give land of Northerners to Wildlings. Apparently, Daario used to be a slave in fighting pits where his mother sold him. Brienne met LF and Sansa and Sansa is a total biatch to her (Sansa is holding it against Brienne that Brienne kneeled to Joffrey despite Brienne saying she had no choice and Sansa answers with "Sometimes we do" despite Sansa not having a choice there either). Valyrian sword breaks other swords like toothpicks. Dorne apparently sent a threat to KL. Jon becomes lord commander because Sam holds a speech and Aemon gives his deciding vote to Jon. Alliser Thorne is named First Ranger. Slaves of Meereen turn against Dany in reenactment of KL riots. Cersei is the one to install High Sparrow in his position. Varys goes to Volantis. Dolorous Edd isn't Jon's steward. It is the kid who killed Yggrite. Actually, Dolorous Edd is nowhere to be seen. I weep for all that lost snark. LF apparently plans to have Sansa as Stannis' northern champion by leaving her with Boltons who will then be defeated by Stannis. Don't question the sense in it. Just go along with it.

i'll continue to watch, but it seems almost a different story from now onwards

There is more than that. Major spoilers for TV show. Nothing for the future books. Differences in Season 5 with the book events.

Brienne met LF and Sansa and Sansa is a total biatch to her (Sansa is holding it against Brienne that Brienne kneeled to Joffrey despite Brienne saying she had no choice and Sansa answers with "Sometimes we do" despite Sansa not having a choice there either).

Regarding Sansa's mention:

Yeah, Sansa did come across as a biatch to Brienne, but that could be due to her either just not giving two figgs for Brienne and her oath, or it could've been because LF is literally sitting right there, and accepting Brienne's service could (and very probably would) provoke LF's displeasure.

Regarding Sansa's mention:

Yeah, Sansa did come across as a biatch to Brienne, but that could be due to her either just not giving two figgs for Brienne and her oath, or it could've been because LF is literally sitting right there, and accepting Brienne's service could (and very probably would) provoke LF's displeasure.
I don't really think so. I think she meant what she said. She could have told so many other things to her.

Some of the changes made in recent episodes (season 5 episodes 3-5) have been excellent. Rather than introduce too many additional characters as in the books they incorporate some of their actions into existing characters stories. This works very well for a TV series where people will soon lose patience, and most likely would have improved ASOIAF books 4 and 5 if they had been written that way despite some lost flavour. I wonder how much influence GRRM had on what was cut out/amalgamated. Though not all the changes are for the better.

So far having Jaime and Bronn head off to Dorne seems a good idea as Jaime's book story wasn't particularly interesting at this point and the characters who went there in the book were forgettable.
Barristan dying. Well, having some other competent solider act as general wont be a big problem for the story and it served as a good reason for Daenerys to get angry and marry a Meereen family leader, while Grey Worm's character also developed. They also didn't need to include anything about a Dorne offer of marriage.
No mention of Jon Connington, Aegon and that lot. Unless he appears soon this suggests to me Aegon is not going to be of major importance in the books either. So instead of Jon getting grey scale Jorah does. Quite a good idea as fans know his character in more depth so will be more affected emotionally.
Having Bolton marry Sansa instead of a fake Arya seems to make sense. Though I don't remember what Sansa was doing at this point in the books. Still at the Eyrie?
Though of course it is a great pity there is no Strong Belwas. Some characters deserve to be kept even if they are just for support.

Last edited:
In the TV series Oberyn Martell is a slim and handsome fellow. In the books he is described as sloth like, or at least has bad gout from what I remember.

In the TV series Oberyn Martell is a slim and handsome fellow. In the books he is described as sloth like, or at least has bad gout from what I remember.
False. That's Doran who had gout. In books, Oberyn is way more sinister looking, with a widow's peak and dark longer hair.

EDIT: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/images/d/d9/Oberyn_Martell.jpg Since amok is the one with most accurate artwork, this is how Oberyn is supposed to look in books.

Last edited:
False. That's Doran who had gout. In books, Oberyn is way more sinister looking, with a widow's peak and dark longer hair.

EDIT: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/images/d/d9/Oberyn_Martell.jpg Since amok is the one with most accurate artwork, this is how Oberyn is supposed to look in books.
Ok I meant Doran of course!!!
Doran is not slothlike in the show. Other than he sits down a lot. But he is skinny.
Edit: Well, interesting. Artwork based on the books often show him slim too.

Last edited:
If you're referring to Srylanna's link, thats Oberyn, the younger brother who doesn't have gout, you know, the dead one...

If you're referring to Srylanna's link, thats Oberyn, the younger brother who doesn't have gout, you know, the dead one...
I'm referring to the character in the TV show who is still alive as of season 5. Not the one killed in the duel. Doran doesn't appear to be suffering from some crippling illness, though it could be he just is hiding it well..