Showcasing Song Lyrics In Novel

Zoolander

I've written a few songs that my characters sing throughout my novel.
But I'm having a hard time with showcasing the lyrics they sing.

How do someone show the lyrics the characters are singing? If its possible to give an example as well.
Thanks!

Have a look at Lord of the Rings, particularly in the beginning, there's a lot of songs the Hobbits sing. I've not yet read it and I've just begun. I'm not very far in and there have been frequent songs, so no doubt there will be plenty for you to refer to in the series.

Im afraid i dont have those books. Is it a way you can write it on here the way it is written in the book so i know how its done in the book

To showcase the lyrics or poems or old verses in books, most books I've read

Do something like this,
So the poem or song stands apart
From the actual paragraphs of
Speech and description etc.

Then they just slip back into the usual writing form once they are done. I can't think off the top of my head if there is an indented paragraph after the verse, or if it starts with no ident, like a fresh opening paragraph...

EDIT: those line are supposed to be indented a little :)

Here's how Littlestar's example would appear in Tolkien: indented, italicised, and with an indent for the following paragraph. Note the indent for the lyrics is larger than the paragraph indent. Other writers/publishers might do it differently.

To showcase the lyrics or poems or old verses in books, most books I've read

..........Do something like this,
..........So the poem or song stands apart
..........From the actual paragraphs of
..........Speech and description etc.

....Then they just slip back into the usual writing form once they are done. I can't think off the top of my head if there is an indented paragraph after the verse, or if it starts with no ident, like a fresh opening paragraph...

....Then they just slip back into the usual writing form once they are done. I can't think off the top of my head if there is an indented paragraph after the verse, or if it starts with no ident, like a fresh opening paragraph...

If we are taking LotR as the example then it's a paragraph with indent after the song.

If we are taking LotR as the example then it's a paragraph with indent after the song.

In case it wasn't clear, those were Littlestar's words. I was reformatting Littlestar's post in the LotR style, which is why I indented the following paragraph. (I knew it would cause confusion!)

In case it wasn't clear, those were Littlestar's words. I was reformatting Littlestar's post in the LotR style, which is why I indented the following paragraph. (I knew it would cause confusion!)

oh I see what you mean! I think o_O

(It took me about five times re-reading your sentence to get it. I have still to have my coffee this morning.)

If you have more than one verse in a row then it looks like you don't indent the next verse. (Is that what you mean? :))

If you have more than one verse in a row then it looks like you don't indent the next verse. (Is that what you mean? :))

That wasn't what I meant, but that is the case.

You quoted me originally as though I were asking whether to indent the paragraph following a verse, and you then said that one should, which is correct -- I was pointing out that I had already demonstrated that by indenting the paragraph, and that the doubt expressed in that paragraph wasn't mine, but Littlestar's, whose post I had copied and reformatted to demonstrate how it's done in LotR for the OP's benefit, since Littlestar appeared not to know the trick of using whited-out characters to indent.

Sheesh, i don't know how I could make that clearer! :whistle:

That wasn't what I meant, but that is the case.

You quoted me originally as though I were asking whether to indent the paragraph following a verse, and you then said that one should, which is correct -- I was pointing out that I had already demonstrated that by indenting the paragraph, and that the doubt expressed in that paragraph wasn't mine, but Littlestar's, whose post I had copied and reformatted to demonstrate how it's done in LotR.

Sheesh, i don't know how I could make that clearer! :whistle:

I've had my coffee now so I understand. 'Never post before coffee', that's goes in my rulebook after 'Never trust a wet towel'

I had put a song* in one of mine and worried about what it looked like on the page, so this has been very helpful. My main issue with it is the double line spacing I always use when writing. It makes the song look strange, but I guess that would be OK if and when it was published? Wishful thinking there. My writing seems to be getting worse instead of better at the moment.

*What will we do with the drunken sailor? Trust me, it fits in OK with the story....

Wishful thinking there. My writing seems to be getting worse instead of better at the moment.

<Gives Kerry a big e-hug>

Don't worry, only fictional authors and superhumans never have any self-doubt about their writing. I can't speak for everyone, just myself, but I'm sure we all feel like that at some point.

I'd try and turn that around - it actually means I'm getting better because I can recognise my errors and problems in earlier work. Persevere and you shall conquer!