Wild speculation & crackpot theories.

Sleepydream

According to this http://time.com/3770874/george-rr-martin-game-of-thrones-song-of-ice-and-fire/

Grrm has come up with a new plot twist:

In one intriguing new wrinkle, Martin says he just came up with a big, revealing twist on a long-time character that he never previously considered. “This is going to drive your readers crazy,” he teases, “but I love it. I’m still weighing whether to go that direction or not. It’s a great twist.

The interesting bit is this:

And it’s nothing they can do in the show, because the show has already—on this particular character—made a couple decisions that will preclude it, where in my case I have not made those decisions.”

So the question is what has been done in the show that was not done in the books that was significant enough to preclude something big?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've added a live link to your post - and welcome to chronicles. :)

Interesting to see he's also pushing for completion of The Winds of Winter by cancelling other projects.

I've added a live link to your post - and welcome to chronicles. :)

Interesting to see he's also pushing for completion of The Winds of Winter by cancelling other projects.

Ah yes thank you for the link and yes I'm very hopeful for the book next year.

I've been trying to think of differences between the book and the show that could point to significant consequences but all the differences listed in GoT wiki seem minor. Perhaps the super-sleuths here have some ideas?

Welcome, Sleepydream. Good topic.

Theon immediately comes to mind. Martin has not specifically shown Theon to be gelded, though we suspected as much, but HBO has confirmed the removal of his manly appendage.

Don't we already have this? https://www.sffchronicles.com/threads/535098/

I think it is about Willas Tyrell. Martin hinted in the past that there is more to him than it seems and in the show, the character does not exist.

@Sleepydream The differences are enormous if somewhat subtle at times. As Martin said, every difference creates a butterfly effect. It might not seem much when just listed, but when you think about it a bit more, you realize just how deep the differences have become.

Mayhaps, Benjen might not be Coldhands.... Davos might find some of his sons risen from the deeps... Stannis might be a homosexual...

Hm. It is also possible for it to be Pyp or Grenn. They are pretty much dead too. Then,... hm... I venture to say it might also be about a big character like Middlefinger, Sansa (in the show season 5, they are apparently heading to conquer Winterfell with army granted to her by The Vale), Jaime (going to Dorne), Bronn (going to Dorne), Brienne, UnCat (UnCat doesn't exist), Tyrion (Don't even get me started how they screwed that up), Daenerys (With Tyrion joining her so soon, anything is possible),... if the newest spoilers I've come across for season 5 are anything to go by.

Theon immediately comes to mind. Martin has not specifically shown Theon to be gelded, though we suspected as much, but HBO has confirmed the removal of his manly appendage.

Stannis might be a homosexual...

Perhaps Theon and Stannis become more than friends eh? LOL j/k

I think it is about Willas Tyrell. Martin hinted in the past that there is more to him than it seems and in the show, the character does not exist.

Indeed this is possible but it would seem that a lack of an appearance doesn't not preclude him from any future action. But I suppose from a practical show production stand point this makes sense.

Mayhaps, Benjen might not be Coldhands.

I've never liked Benjen for Coldhands. After the almost immediate speculation on this forum about that being the case it would seem anti-climatic.

Indeed their are too many possibilities. I found it most interesting that grrm still has new and great ideas for the characters.

@Sleepydream Willas literally does not exist in the world of TV Show as Loras is the Heir of Highgarden and he and Margaery are the only children of Mace Tyrell. It was even used as a plot point so that Tywin could blackmail Olenna into an engagement of Loras and Cersei.

@Sleepydream Willas literally does not exist in the world of TV Show as Loras is the Heir of Highgarden and he and Margaery are the only children of Mace Tyrell. It was even used as a plot point so that Tywin could blackmail Olenna into an engagement of Loras and Cersei.

Ah my mistake. That would be a point of no return then. He would certainly be a powerful lord should any thing happen to his father. Grrm isnt kind to any one who suffers from any perceived weakness(like a lame leg) so I cant imagine what horrors might be in store for him.

I don't think that is exactly true. It is just that the world isn't kind to them. I think Willas wouldn't be made to suffer too much.

there are SO many possibilities. One that springs to mind is the death of Jojen Reed in the show. That certainly stops them from being able to do anything with him. And if this is a new idea, then it could be that Martin told the showrunners he had no plans for Jojen, so they thought it was safe to kill him off, but now Martin has changed his mind.

Though that could be said of any character that they killed off in the show.