Last King of Scotland (2006)

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Just watched this last night, after it was bought cheap from a bargain bin a couple of years ago, and then collected dust on the shelves. An engaging story about Idi Amin, starring James McAvoy before he took on the role as a young Professor X.

However, it's Forest Whittaker who absolutely steals the show - according to Wikipedia, he:

gained 50 pounds, learned to play the accordion ... read books about Amin, watched news and documentary footage featuring Amin, and spent time in Uganda meeting with Amin's friends, relatives, generals, and victims; he also learned Swahili and mastered Amin's East African accent

Though this is a well produced and engaging film, it's worth watching alone for Whittaker's intense - and award-winning - portrayal of the Ugandan dictator:

It's been a few years since I saw this, and my memories of it are still vague. Which probably suggests the movie didn't have that much bearing with me.

That said, you're 100% spot on when you praise Forest Whittaker's magnificent performance as Amin.

I first saw in Platoon, but made a lasting impact in the TV cop show The Shield. A very versatile actor/producer/director, and deserves more credit for his work in general, even though he did win an Oscar for his Amin role.

Will probably get round to watching this again soon: thanks for the memory jog!

Whittaker is one of those actors that often seems to be under the radar. Be that as it may - he is superb at his craft. Another of his movies worth checking out is Ghost Dog: The Way Of The Samurai

I just got this from the library and saw it. I was on the edge of my seat for the last half of the film.

Whitaker has an impressive resume. The depiction of Uganda's descent into chaos is chilling. I have several friends who escaped as children and their stories are just as harrowing.

Back