5.14: The Walking Dead - Spend

ctg

weaver of the unseen
JMZKia5.jpg

Is this really the utopia it seems to be?

Excellent Seth Gilliam scene to open the episode and easily his best so far. I liked seeing Noah want to learn how to build stuff. Great seeing Glenn lead a supply run with the new group. Eugene finally being useful. Of course Aiden is the one who blows up a grenade and gets himself killed. Carol is crazy mean to little Sam. Abraham is a beast but he has the worst catchphrase. Kind of awesome seeing Eugene step up to protect Tara and try to rescue the rest of the group. Loved seeing Francine punch that guy in the face. Nicholas is a piece of sh*t and it was really satisfying seeing Glenn knock him out. Wow wasn't expecting Noah to get eaten but the gore was spectacular. Gabriel is crazy and a snitch, what a bad time for Glenn to pull up. Looking forward to how Rick and Carol deal with the Pete situation.

I'm really disappointed in Gabriel. Why did he say that? I know the group is a little rough but did I miss something? I didn't see anything that would give good reason as to what was so horrible. They were only trying to survive. They saved Gabriel! If anything, I'd say Gabriel still needs to fess up about what he did. What was written on the back of the church again? Something like, "We'll remember this" ???

Rick has even more reason to kill the doctor now.

The kid Sam surprised me. I thought he would be terrified of Carol. But it was just the opposite. After what happen to the two little girls before Terminus, I think Carol doesn't want to get too close to children again.

This episode was one of the best I've seen. Great stuff. Poor Noah, and Glen had to see it all. I would have left that guy behind after I knocked him out if I were Glen.

They are going to need the Doctor dude to help with the head trauma.

I have no idea where this show is going but I have a feeling they are about to take over Alexandria. With her son being dead, and the altercation with Glen a few days before it will be a war..especially after Gabriel's blabbing. What a tool. Another guy they should have left to the walkers

I'm really disappointed in Gabriel. Why did he say that?
He is sick. He doesn't know what he is saying.

I think Carol doesn't want to get too close to children again.
I'm sure that is it. Remember she lost her own child too.

This episode was one of the best I've seen. Great stuff. Poor Noah, and Glen had to see it all. I would have left that guy behind after I knocked him out if I were Glen.
I agree, but there was a lot of gore this week. I didn't expect Noah to go so quickly. We seem to be building up to a great end of season finale. Lot's going on now.

Reactions: ctg
Poor Noah...was it "This is the beginning." written in the notebook? A real shame that he is lost. Don't have much time to write now, but looks like things are about to explode. I'm relieved that Rick & CO. have a back-up in the field, in case things go poorly for them...Daryl is out with Aaron, and Daryl is remarkably capable and motivated (and if things go badly in Alexandria, I think Aaron and his partner would help Rick...I think Aaron recognizes that Rick provides the only hope for a possible future; and Aaron and his partner seem to feel like outsiders in Alexandria).

Wow, so many of those Alexandria dudes are cowards, and seem totally inexperienced. It's been awhile since I have been so excited with this series; they've salvaged the season, I feel. Good stuff..sad, and with a ominous vibe, but good, CC

Reactions: ctg
Noah's death was really sad and brutal...it was like trading his life for Beth's then have him die. For what!

They are all weak and selfish in Alexandria. They are not battle hardened and a close 'family' like Rick et al

And what happened to that girl who climbed the wall a couple episodes ago? no sign or word of her? strange...so much we don't see or know. It is going to be a very exciting last couple episodes

They really went old school with the gore in this episode, was a damn shame about Noah, I know they have a habit of killing off cast but don't feel like we ever really got much from him until that episode. Agree that Glenn should have left the other guy there to die, but I'm assuming that he wants to take him back to Alexandria to stand trial or at least as an independent witness to say 'look it wasn't me that got everyone killed'...

Gabriel's actions were simply an extension of whatever psychosis is within him, admittedly he's seen them do some horrible things (particularly to the Terminus crowd), but it's obvious there is not a lot of sanity left in that head.

Can't help but get the feeling that Carol has got it wrong somehow, that her past experiences are clouding her judgement. I thought the kid Sam had been put up to it by the magical disappearing girl from a couple of episodes ago, or is it possible that it's not the father but someone else that's abusing him...?

We seem to have a good balance of the eerie calm inside the walls and the relentless carnage outside them, over the past couple of episodes. I think the producers are wary of season 2 syndrome where things seemed too safe on the farm...

The trip to the solar factory (every town should have one!) was the highlight, Aiden's death was gory but Noah's was perhaps the most graphic of all the death's on the show so far! And Glenn had to sit there and watch it. Happy that Eugene stepped up to protect Tara, and used his brain to cause a diversion when they others were trapped in the revolving door. Although the awful music in that van is a great sign of the things we can be happy to leave behind!

Interesting to see Deanna's concerns about putting Abraham in charge of constructions, too many of the new people getting put in charge.. but she's pragmatic enough to know they are the most competent. Will she take stock of Gabriel's warning? And how will Maggie and co react to the betrayal?

I guess we should have seen Noah's death coming once he started making future plans to become an architect... and the curse of the black men on the show continues!! I'm being a little facetious but we are now left with only Gabriel (and I think one guy who we say briefly in the armoury last week!).

Gabriel's actions were simply an extension of whatever psychosis is within him, admittedly he's seen them do some horrible things (particularly to the Terminus crowd), but it's obvious there is not a lot of sanity left in that head.

I agree. Gabriel is struggling with his faith so much. He doesn't have an agreement or steadiness that Hershel had with the God. And he's going through a crucible with whatever sanity he has left from seeing his flock getting massacred at front of his eyes. I also think he knew about all those terrible things happening in Terminus, and he had so some sort of agreement with them. And if you check all those quotes from his church wall you'll see all the references that the Bible has on the living dead or dead starting to rise and take over the world.

It's basically rooted into our imagination. But to him it has gone over the head ... way over and Gabriel sees Rick's actions and the whole trek to the DC as his trial. And then he was provided with a miracle when he saw the hurricane aftermath opening before his eyes. So to him, he is saying that the place is a "paradise" and he sees it that way, but in his head he sees Rick as this demonic entity that needs to be get rid of from his biblical vision of "Lord's blessings."

As far as he is concerned he is saved.

But we see more and more evidence that it's all illusion, and it's all wonder on how they managed to survive all that time that has been Washington DC's and it's surrounding cities turn to ginormous hoard that's most probably fifty million strong in total numbers, if not more. Although Kirkman has never revealed the statics in his world. So all I'm doing is the speculation the numbers and the odds of them surviving the menace if a main group would wander their way.

They certainly didn't show it at the construction yard. The whole crew had a messed up about the survival game, while Abraham really enjoyed the game. He loved mashing them into pieces and letting out that steam. You could see that pressure building up when the crew was disorganised and disorientated. But I don't think Abraham wants to go out there many times even if he needs to let out that steam.

He can do it other way and he would probably been in better charge then Glen on clearing out the warehouse. Although our beloved Glen did all he could to keep his crew alive. He was marvellous, especially on landing that KO on Nick for being such a dick.

No argument there. Defence rests but his and Aiden's actions has to be judged if Alexandria is going to forward as a community.

Same thing goes for Carol for ordering an execution of the only freaking doctor the community has. How many of them do you guys think are still alive?

I guess we should have seen Noah's death coming once he started making future plans to become an architect... and the curse of the black men on the show continues!! I'm being a little facetious but we are now left with only Gabriel (and I think one guy who we say briefly in the armoury last week!).

Tyreese would have loved Alexandria. And it's only sorry to see that he's not there with them, but Noah was too unfortunate to get slung on the other side to get torn to pieces at front of Glenn's eyes. The only mistake Glenn did was that he didn't go back and ask for more backup. Especially with the history he had with Aiden. What insanity went in his mind when he thought to empty a clip on that armoured monster?

On a note of curse of the black man's. Morgan is still alive and was last sawn in Terminus.
And I think he knows what Wolves or W means.

Last edited:
It cannot be anything good. But we didn't see Carl either.

and the missing gun from the blender, which I think is connected. I can't wait to see how this plays out

Abraham is a beast but he has the worst catchphrase. Kind of awesome seeing Eugene step up to protect Tara and try to rescue the rest of the group.

That bus and use of the stereos was a direct reference to Jack Blacks and Aaron Pauls entry into the zombie realm.

But like you I love Eugene and his inability to defend himself. He still came through and saved all of the by just being brilliant him as he's a resource that Rick's group cannot lose. One thing I have to say is that he needs a bigger clip.

Last edited:
On a note of curse of the black man's. Morgan is still alive and was last sawn in Terminus.
And I think he knows what Wolves or W means.
Very true, although he's upto 500 miles away, so your spoilered point seems unlikely to be connected?

It cannot be anything good. But we didn't see Carl either.
If you saw the preview for next week then this one is getting some attention!

Wow! This episode hit a new mark on the gore meter. Good thing I'm not one of those viewers who should heed the violent content discretion warning.

Score 2 for the walker team.

I don't think Aiden deserved what he got. He was beginning to recognize Glenn's leadership and might have become more useful if he had been able to develop a little self-discipline in the field. Noah, from a classic plot viewpoint, needed to atone for the role he played in the death of Tyreese. Noah's death could have been a little cleaner, though.

What did Aiden say to Glen with his last words, I played it back but still couldnt catch it?

What did Aiden say to Glen with his last words, I played it back but still couldnt catch it?

Nicholas says to Aiden: "You left her. We both did. That's who we are."

Then he runs away. Noah switches weapons and says: "They're coming."

Glen turns to Aiden, tries to pull him out, but he cannot.

Aiden gasps couple of times and then says, "It... it was us. The others before. They didn't panic. We did. It was us."

Glen looks at him once and then he's more determined to get him out.

Noah shouts, "They are here."

Both Glen and Noah manages to run away before the zombies get to sink their teeth into Aiden.