Why Don't They Do a New Quatermass TV series or Feature Film Project?

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
With them rebooting so many classics ,why not this one ? If done right, this could be a huge and successful franchise.

Who would you like to see write produce a new Quatermass series and where ?

If it goes to Hollywood, who would like to see write ,direct and produce it ?

Who would be your idea choice to play Professor Bernard Quatermass ?

Should they reboot or remake any of the the films? If so would you go to see them?

Thoughts? :)

@BAYLOR you've hit on one of my major wishes. Quatermass was a great classic series that deserves serious attention. I'm all for a Quatermass reboot/film.

It would have to be done by BBC. Hollywood would never get the tone right.

As strange as it sounds I think Steve Coogan could do a great Professor Bernard Quatermass.

I don't know who I'd want to write/direct it, but I do know that I wouldn't want Moffat & Co anywhere near it.

Agree with Vince. Quatermass on TV in the fifties was probably my first brush with science fiction. Right now I'd be happy with just a repeat of the originals on TV, although I doubt if they have any copies left.

You can see the first two episodes of The Quatermass Experiment on youtube. The last four are lost to history.

Ive seen the 1958 Quatermass and the Pit serial in it's entirely. Superb stuff. :)

Quatermass and the Pit was my favourite. It scared me to death. Even the title made me feel uncomfortable. Doctor Who fans don't know what they missed.

BTW the Goons did a great send up of Quatermass and the Pit. For those that heard it (it was on the radio) the word 'minardoor' will bring back fond memories. :)

In the 67 film. Quatermass and the police officer go across the street and into the abandoned block of houses. they go into house and inside the first think you notice are the scratches on the wall. I find that scene very unsettling.

It's interesting that actor who played the cop in the 67 film also played a cop in the 58 serial.:)

@BAYLOR you've hit on one of my major wishes. Quatermass was a great classic series that deserves serious attention. I'm all for a Quatermass reboot/film.

It would have to be done by BBC. Hollywood would never get the tone right.

As strange as it sounds I think Steve Coogan could do a great Professor Bernard Quatermass.

I don't know who I'd want to write/direct it, but I do know that I wouldn't want Moffat & Co anywhere near it.

Hollywood wouldn't be the ideal place but, But if it did end up there, Theses are the directors that Id like to see tackle it. . Alex Proyas , Guillermo Del Toro , Ridley Scott , David Cronenberg, James Gunn As to my choice to play Quatermass in a big screen adaptation Ian Mckellen Timothy Dalton as Colonel Breen and Piece Brosnan as Dr Roney.

Last edited:
I love Quatermass but I don't want to see a remake or a reboot. It's of its own time and a part of SF history now and that's where it should stay. I think a modern remake would end up like modern Dr Who - too much running about and babbling nonsense.

I don't want to see one of my favourite shows become a travesty of itself. Let it rest in peace with dignity I say.

I love Quatermass but I don't want to see a remake or a reboot. It's of its own time and a part of SF history now and that's where it should stay. I think a modern remake would end up like modern Dr Who - too much running about and babbling nonsense.

I don't want to see one of my favourite shows become a travesty of itself. Let it rest in peace with dignity I say.

I only partly agree with you. I think some Hollywood and TV producers in general are bankrupt of ideas, and there are many unused ideas out there, so they don't need all these reboots. However, with the right writers and directors I think and lot of old stuff could be lovingly re-imagined for a more modern audience.

I think we have a rose-tinted spectacled view of some old films and TV. Some of the acting and sets were atrocious. Since you used Dr Who as an example, there was far more running up and down corridors in the old than in the new. Even my favourite story, Genesis of the Daleks has most of an hour spent corridor running.

As I said it needs the right director and writers. There is a tendency to make a re-image light, jokey and a travesty, but there have been some remakes that are better than the original. We've had loads of threads on this subject before.

As for Quatermass, even I am too young to have seen them originally, but Quatermass and the Pit has frequently been shown on TV, and I agree with how frightening it is. Most Horror today is just gore and screaming teenage girls, it isn't actually frightening in the way, for example, The Spiral Staircase is - but that is a whole other thread discussion.

Then there's Colonel Breen . The scene were he stood near the capsule and until he burned to death. Very grim scene.

If Quatermass is ever remade, I hope it's not by Hollywood. There would be at least one meaningless vehicle chase, several gunfights, a huge number of explosions - and of course an ultra-right-wing conspiracy revealed in between the CGI.

Just look at what they did to Clancy's "The Sum of All Fears". Change of city, the Islamic terrorists were replaced by German neonazis. And various Hollywood staples unrelated to the book thrown in, too.

If Quatermass is ever remade, I hope it's not by Hollywood. There would be at least one meaningless vehicle chase, several gunfights, a huge number of explosions - and of course an ultra-right-wing conspiracy revealed in between the CGI.

Just look at what they did to Clancy's "The Sum of All Fears". Change of city, the Islamic terrorists were replaced by German neonazis. And various Hollywood staples unrelated to the book thrown in, too.
The Sum of All Clichés?

Back