Ford crossing scene

Status
Not open for further replies.

SleepyDormouse

dreaming away....
ok, this has been discussed a bit in "horse related questions" as I needed a convincing escape for a gypsy caravan from a group of men with horses. Below is the first section (it was over 1500 so I haven't put it all). I want to know if I have enough tension and the right pacing for this sort of scene please. plus any other things that jump out at you.

it is middle grade story.

##

It was a relief to see Clover harnessed and ready to go. At least Farmon and Rowena’s plan had included a quick escape. Kendric scrambled clumsily onto the footboard, his hands still bound, then helped Elene up. They moved inside the caravan as Farmon and Rowena leaped up and Rowena grabbed the reins.

They were soon hurtling along, each rut in the cart-way making the caravan jump up in the air and splash down again into puddles. Kendric was terrified they would shake the caravan apart, but had to trust that Rowena knew her horse and caravan well enough to know how fast was safe.

Farmon helped Kendric and Elene remove their gags, wrist and hand bindings. Then looked down the side of the caravan at the cart-way behind them. “Lets hope it takes them a long time to catch those horses, or we haven’t a chance of staying ahead. Clover can’t keep this pace up for long, and those other horses don’t have a caravan to haul.”

“Even that won’t help if it keeps raining like this.” Rowena looked at the heavy clouds, her hair plastered to her head despite the overhand that protected most of the porch from the driving rain. “We have to cross a ford soon, I’m worried the water will be too high.”

“Mmm, you’re right.” said Farmon, watching ahead with growing concern. “I had forgotten the ford.”

“What if it’s too high?” Kendric asked. “Can’t we go another way?”

“There are no other tracks, we either cross the river or turn around and head back to the village,” Farmon’s voice was sober. “We would just have to make a stand as best as we can. Rowena and I used all of our power on that noose, Elene, Kendric, do you have any left?”

“They… they took my gem Dad. I can’t do any magic at all.” Elene said, her voice trembling. Farmon swept her into a tight one-armed hug and rested his straggly beard on her head. Elene leaned into him and closed her eyes. She stiffled a sob in his cloak.

Farmon looked at Kendric his brown eyes harrowed and yet determined, “What about you Kendric, any more surprises up your sleeve?”

Kendric shook his head. He was exhausted, drained. Having that much magic surge through him on the green had left him feeling hollow and weak. He didn’t think he could even connect to the underflow again without passing out. If it came down to a fight, them against Attor and his men, he had a pretty good feeling how it would go. They had swords, it wasn’t going to be pretty.

Pulling herself together Elene wiped her face roughly with her sleeves and pushed gently away from her dad. “I’ll keep watch out the back,” she said, then walked down the lurching caravan. She climbed onto the raised bed, her muddy shoes hanging over the edge as she knelt up and looked out of a window Kendric hadn’t noticed before. “No sign of them yet,” she called.

Kendric joined her, admiring her determination to not give up. He watched out of the small window, trying to hold in his stomach contents against the jolting of the caravan. Rain pummelled the caravan roof, the noise was deafening. It was also almost impossible to see far behind, everything was blurred by the falling curtain of water. How Rowena could see to drive at this speed he had no idea.

After what seemed like a long time but was probably only minutes murky dark shapes emerged behind them and appeared to be getting bigger.

“They’ve coming!” shouted Elene to her parents, as she scrambled down from the high bed and stumbled over to them, holding furniture for balance.

He followed it seemed luck was not on their side. The caravan rounded a corner and there before them was the ford. For a moment he felt hope, perhaps they could still make it, then his heart sank. On the opposite bank, the cart-way continued, disappearing into the woodland but between them and it was a churning, torrent of water. A large branch washed past downstream.

“Easy, Clover, easy girl.” Rowena’s hands fell lifeless into her lap, the reins loose. Clover slowed to a walk, her ears flicking. “It’s too deep.” Rowena said, pale faced.

Elene ran back to the rear window. “They are getting closer, four, no five men. What do we do?”

Farmon watched the water surge past and looked upsteam, then he grabbed the reins from Rowena’s lap. “Trot on, Clover,” he commanded. Clover surged forwards, her sturdy legs throwing splashes over the footboard and Farmon’s feet.

“What are you doing?” Rowena cried as she reached for the reins, “It’s too deep, too fast, we will get washed downstream, and Clover can’t swim with this caravan attached. She will be drowned!”

“We have no choice.” Farmon shouted back as he held the reins tightly, the rain streaming down his hood and dripping from his bedraggled beard. “We can’t stand and face them! There are five men with swords, we can’t fight them!”

Rowena stopped trying to grab the reins. Wringing her hands in her lap, she anxiously watched the water swell higher up Clovers legs with each step.

They were a quarter of the way across when Elene called out “The first rider is at the waters edge! He is coming in.”

Feeling useless, Kendric joined Elene again on the bed. One rider was in the water, only a few meters behind them. He was struggling to control his horse though, who was reluctant to go in the water. He was kicking it savagely in the sides, forcing it forwards. The other four horses had stopped on the bank. Attor recognisable by his straight posture. They seemed to be waiting to see if the caravan and other rider would make it across before deciding to enter, perhaps thinking we would be forced to turn back.

Clover made it to the middle of the river, leaning hard into the head collar, the deluge of water pushing past her belly and fighting against every her step.. She would be exhausted after this crossing. If both they and the other riders made it to the other side they would not be able to get away. Suddenly the mad, brave crossing of this swollen river seemed futile. The only chance they had was if the other riders couldn’t make it across.

Exhausted already, Kendric’s head was swimming from fatigue. But he had to find a way of stopping the riders. If only he knew more about how to use magic, it was useless to have this ability when he didn't’ know how to save himself and his friends.If he only had the energy he could, perhaps, make a branch fall from a tree upstream, but he would have no way of controlling where it went, it could just as easily bash into Clover as the other horse and rider.

He had to think of something that would last long enough for them to get a good distance away before the riders crossed. He watched the horse and rider through the window, the horse stumbled and struggled to get its footing then tried to turn its head and return to the bank. The rider kicked it in the ribs again and forces its head round, pulling the bit hard into the horses mouth, and wide eyed with fear the horse continues towards them, slightly downstream now.

The weight of the caravan must be helping Clover stay grounded, she wasn’t struggling as much as the other horse.If he could make the water rise this rider would turn back and the others would have to wait for the water to go down again. The rain wasn’t making it rise quick enough. He looked deeper, searching for an Underflow that he could try and connect to, but there were none.

He went back to the front of the footboard and squatted down, ignoring Rowena’s curious glances. Getting a good grip of the door sill with one hand he lowered the other into the swirling dark water. Even though he expected it to pull him he wasn’t prepared for the fierce tugging, and was glad of his firm grip on the caravan.

Magic filaments run through the water, so fast moving it was impossible to focus on them, they danced in patterns that Kendric felt he should know but couldn’t identify. He withdrew his dripping hand with crushing disappointment, he had no idea how to change or control the water. He had no power left to manipulate them anyway.

As far as tension and pacing go, I think you done pretty well in this scene. It was good. There we're a few typos, here and there, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to sort them out with fancy colours and quotes :)

I was a little bit overwhelmed by the amount of characters introduced so quickly, and getting my head around their actions, and then many names that are used by nessecity, but I can imagine that wouldn't be so hard in I had background and already knew them from the rest of the book.
What POV is this? It seemed like Kendric is the main focus and viewpoint, but there were times when you seemed to dip in and out of the others, rowena's hands falling lifeless and farmon watching the water surging etc. I don't know I've that is nessecarily a problem, especially for a MG, as it didn't jar for me, but might be something it I be aware of.

Other than that, I felt it was a pretty good scene and conveyed what I think you wanted to get over:)

The point of a ford is that if its a real road they broaden the river and often pave it, so even in full spate it can be crossed. That's the difference with "fording a river" at simply a likely looking place in wilderness or random countryside.
So even if it looks very intimidating, it can be crossed.
A horse and cart can cross deeper water than most cars, though with only a few feet to go I drove the car out of the ford on the starting motor after the water got somewhere that made it stop.
On the far side a wipe around the distributor and spark coil (old car in 1980s) it started again. I suspect a 1970s Fiat 127 is easier to sweep away too!

I've driven across fords in England near Droitwich and in Wicklow and other places in Ireland, once on motorbike (feet and legs got wet) and the rest in cars.

LittleStar Thank you. This scene is from just over halfway through the story, so yes i guess it is a bit confusing to go straight in. I hadn't considered that at all when I posted. Rowena and Farmon are Elene's parents, they are magic users in a society where magic use resulted in a devestating war. Magic was thought dead, but Kendric had started being able to use magic, was rescued (sort of) by Elene and she and her family are taking him to a place of safety. They are being chased by officials whose job it is to make sure magic doesn't return.

Kendric is the pov yes, I will look at again at the parts you mention.

Ray It is an interesting point you raise. I hadn't considered if the ford would be paved or how well maintained/developed it would be. My grandparents lived in a village with a small ford, there were definitely times when we had to go a different route to their house as the ford was too high. Not often though.

Anyway, @SleepyDormouse you correctly have the "real" problem as not crossing the ford, but how to prevent the pursuers catching up. If it is paved, then maybe your hero can spot where the water has under cut the paving (maybe slate slabs) and rather than the massive effort of doing something direct with the water, steers it to rapidly under cut the slate (or mudstone) slabs, the paving tips and the two or three of the nearest pursuers' horses lose footing. the river quickly sweeps a way the exposed clay bank of the ford. The rest of the paving is now exposed, but the riders are not sure about the stability of the paving on the far side of the narrower torrent to be happy about backing up (tricky on horses, terrible reverse gear), running and jumping.

go a different route to their house as the ford was too high
For walking, car or horse?
All the fords I've seen where paved in some way, and very broad and flat, thus shallow.

Will come back later and do a full crit, but one thing I want to address very quickly is when commanding a driving horse, all commands are prefaced by the name of the horse you want to do something. That way you can direct commands to specific horses in a team. So it would always be "Clover, walk/trot/steady/woah/stand etc". No more time, but promise to come back and do full crit!

All the fords I've seen where paved in some way, and very broad and flat, thus shallow.

Most of the fords I have known were unpaved and often had quite rough, stony bottoms, which would be hard to see if there had been a lot of rain upstream. The good ones had gravelly bases but these would get washed away sometimes. At least one, that I used to ride through frequently in North Yorkshire, had high banks either side of the narrow-ish crossing point and a steep path down to it on either side, so the water level could rise quite fast. It was in the middle of a little village and had been replaced by a road bridge next to it.

Ray It was a very small ford, a brook that ran in deep channels, the road was sunken with a dip down to the ford. It was in a car. I think different geographical locations creates different fords, and rivers respond differently to rain in different area's too.

Kylara Thank you, I probably read that in my research but then failed to do it properly when I wrote. I shall change it, though I'm not sure clover would ever be used in a multi horse situation.

Kendric scrambled clumsily onto the footboard, his hands still bound, then helped Elene up. – Did it hurt his hands to do this, is Kendric bound so tightly that he is in some pain. Settle these character feelings and the POV would be clearer. I feel the POV of the character is not very strong in this section and there are I feel, other missed opportunities to get closer to the POV character.

Kendric was terrified they would shake the caravan apart, but had to trust that Rowena knew her horse and caravan well enough to know how fast was safe. – Another POV opportunity missed, but here your sort of telling instead of showing. Kendric bumped his head, fell off the bed when his bound hands let him down and so on. Anyway - I felt this could have been done by showing and not telling.

I wasn’t feeling the tension if I’m honest, I really expected the chasing group to catch them. Why? Because you gave me 1,000 words of the characters thinking about being caught, so no surprise when they are caught. It was the same for the Ford crossing, all given away before we got there. Why not have the characters forget about the Ford until they’re there, in all the rush and excitement, no-one had factored in the weather while making an escape plan. Also Kendric being too tired to use magic, ok fine, but why tell us before hand?

Kendric shook his head. He was exhausted, drained. Having that much magic surge through him on the green had left him feeling hollow and weak. He didn’t think he could even connect to the underflow again without passing out. If it came down to a fight, them against Attor and his men, he had a pretty good feeling how it would go. They had swords, it wasn’t going to be pretty. – Too long for me and ruined the tension of the moment.

Pulling herself together Elene wiped her face roughly – A POV/head hop twinge here. Others here and there.

After what seemed like a long time but was probably only minutes murky dark shapes emerged behind them and appeared to be getting bigger. – I think if you the writer are vague, then it will be vague for the reader too. – Kendric stared into the darkness and dark shadows emerged…. Etc. – Keep it in the moment to keep the tension on the boil.

For me, I feel you’re over explaining and not letting your story flow the way it should. Allow your reader scope to use their imagination too, less is more sometimes. Focus on the action, the here and now, breathless excitement and fear.

As ever Sleepy, just what I think. I don’t write for kiddies so I could be way off the mark here. Apologies for a tough Crit, please keep on being brave and sharing.

Bowler has pretty much covered it really - I'll pop in with a couple of more horse related crit bits:

Already mentioned earlier but all driving horses have their names called prior to commands - if people are driving together or chatting then the horse/pony doesn't jump into a new pace without being asked - with our pair when we want them to go as a pair (so walking off) we call "and girls together, walk/trot on/stand" if one isn't pulling their weight it is "horse name walk/trot etc' or one is going too fast "horse name steady etc".

When going through water (unless shallow ford/pleasure drive/no rush etc) you go at a fair pace (think trot or canter) to get the momentum with carriage to help get your turnout through faster flowing/deeper water.

Harness name bits now - horse will not be leaning into headcollar (may have an under head collar on under the bridle but that is to grab if stuff doesn't go well). Horse will be leaning into a breast collar or collar - probably a full collar with a caravan :)

Common misconception is that horses pull forwards, but they actually push from behind with the hindquarters and that energy is harnessed by the front parts of the harness (back band and collar) :)

I agree with Bowler about the PoV shifts - I think the telling/showing will sort itself out if you get that sorted :)

I've given it a good going over and edit. Has it improved?

###

Clover, already harnessed to the caravan, tossed her head as they ran to her. Kendric was figuring out how to climb up with his hands tied behind his back when Farmon jumped onto the footboard and grabbed him under the arms. The bindings dug painfully into his wrists as he and then Elene were hauled up. They moved out of the way for Rowena, who grabbed the reins.

Clover was urged on to a canter. Woodland hurtled past in a brown-green blur, each rut in the cart-way making the caravan jump in the air then splash down into puddles. Kendric lost his balance and fell, exhausted, onto the padded bench, his back jarring painfully into the wall. He tried, unsuccessfully, to rub the gag off with his shoulder.

Farmon helped him and Elene remove their bindings. Kendric rubbed the sides of his mouth with fingers that throbbed as the blood returned to them.

“Pa, they took my gem, all the magic...” Elene said, her voice trembling. She pressed her face into his wet cloak, muffling a sob.

Farmon swept her into a tight hug and rested his straggly beard on her head. “Never mind the gem, I’m just glad you’re safe. Lets hope it takes them a long time to catch those horses.”

Rowena exchanged a worried look with him, her hair plastered to her head despite the overhang that protected most of the porch from the driving rain. If it came to a fight, them against Attor and his men, Kendric had a pretty good feeling how it would go. They had swords, it wasn’t going to be pretty.

Elene pushed gently away from her dad and wiped her face roughly with her sleeve. “I’ll keep watch out back,” she said, then walked down the lurching caravan. She climbed onto the raised bed, her muddy shoes hanging over the edge as she knelt and looked out of the window.

Kendric joined her, and tried to hold in his stomach contents despite the jolting of the caravan. Rain pummelled the caravan roof, the noise was deafening. It was impossible to see far behind, everything was blurred by the falling curtain of water.

They rounded a corner. Farmon cursed.

“Clover, easy, easy,” Rowena said. The caravan’s lurching stopped as Clover slowed to a walk.

Kendric turned, surely the men hadn’t got ahead of them? A short distance in front the ground dropped away steeply, and in that dip, cutting across their path, was a churning mass of water. The cart-way continued on the opposite bank, disappearing into dense woodland. It was a ford, but the torrential rain had swollen the river massively. A branch washed past downstream.

“It’s too deep,” Rowena said, her hands lifeless in her lap, reins loose.

“Is there another way?” asked Kendric.

“There were no other tracks, we either cross or head back to the village.” Farmon’s voice was sober.

“They’ve coming! Four, no five men,” shouted Elene to her parents desperately.

Farmon looked at the water surging past, dangerous mass of rocks downstream, then grabbed the reins from Rowena’s lap. “Clover, trot on,” he commanded. Clover started down the slope, gaining speed before entering the river, her sturdy legs, throwing splashes over Farmon’s feet.

“What are you doing?” Rowena cried, reaching for the reins.

“We have no choice,” Farmon replied, holding the reins firmly, the rain streamed down his hood and dripped from his bedraggled beard. “We’re too exhausted to face them.”

The river was soon around Clovers thighs and she was barely a quarter of the way across.

Behind them, the riders stopped on the bank. Attor gestured and one rider kicked his horse in the sides and headed for the stream. Attor and the remaining riders seemed to be waiting to see if the caravan and other horse would make it across before entering.

The river swept past just below the caravan’s footboard, surging around Clover’s belly. Each step a strain, she leaned hard into her collar. If it deepened much more Clover would be forced to swim, but the caravan’s weight would pull her down and the force on the caravan’s sides could make it turn or tip. Even if it didn’t get deeper, even if they made it to the other side, how far would they get before the riders caught up again, Kendric wondered.

The only chance they had was if the other riders couldn’t make it across.

The horse behind them stumbled and was washed slightly downstream as it struggled to regain its footing. It tried to return to the bank but it’s rider forced it’s head round, pulling the bit hard into the horses mouth, and kicking it roughly in the ribs. Wide eyed the horse continued towards them, slightly downstream and closer to the rocks.

Kendric realised if the river rose higher, or flowed faster that horse would find it even harder to cross. It would be forced to turn back and Attor would wait for the flood to go down before trying again. Could he affect water with magic? He was still almost completely drained though, and there wasn’t any Underflow here.

In despair Kendric watched as Attor and his men cantered their horses down to the river. Attor must have decided it was safe enough to cross. Kendric knew he had to act fast before the first rider made it to shallower water. He had to at least try.

He jumped from the bed, ran through the caravan and crouched on the footboard. Getting a good grip on the door frame he plunged his other hand into the icy cold water.

Magic filaments ran through the water, too fast to focus on. It was no use. He had too little power left to manipulate the lines even if he knew what to do. Disappointed he withdrew his dripping hand.

“Kendric?” Rowena’s voice trembled as she looked upstream. “What did you do?”

On the rough churning surface of the river was a ridge of higher water that was coming rapidly downstream. Kendric was sure he hadn’t managed to do anything to the water, but had no time to work out the hows or whys.

Farmon urged Clover on faster. The far bank, seemed much too far away. Water surged over her thighs.

Attor and his riders had seen the wave too and where turning back. The rider in the middle dithered, unsure which bank to head for. Then turned to re-join his group.

The wave was closer by the second. Growing all the time.

Then the wave hit. It smacked against the caravan’s side, throwing Kendric and Rowena into Farmon and Elene into the wall. An awful grinding noise shook them as the caravan dragged over the stony river bed. Clover disappeared, submerged. Kendric held his breath for an agonising, long moment, then her head popped up again. The grinding stopped as she found her feet, shook the water from her mane and continued pulling the caravan to safety.

Attor’s and the closest rider’s horses were scrambling onto the bank. The other horse and rider was swept downstream, towards the mass of rocks. The rider hit a rock and sunk below water as the horse was swept out of sight.

Kendric kept watch out back as they left the river and trotted up the slope into the woodland. What had caused the river to rise like that? It was even more swollen now, it would be some time before it had gone down enough for Attor to try and cross again. His riders were walking downstream, leading their horses. Attor was standing on the bank, watching the caravan as it moved away. Kendric stared back until the caravan went around a bend, he hoped it would be the last he would see of him.

lol... been typing too long today I guess. :eek: I did a check on the rest of my WIP and had used its/it's correctly in all other places (I think). Just today it seems.

Much better for me Sleepy, well done. Beware "then", they can breed with rabbits and infest your writing - a habit I've kicked, so I know how easy it is to get hooked on "then". Still a bit telling for me, but I could live with it this time. This version lost the action scene feel, I blamer the slow horse pulling the caravan, but yes, much better. Keep going and good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.