A little help please.

stellspalfie

Hi peoples,

Ive been away from this site for a few years, but I come back to you in a time of need. I love my Sci-Fi and like a bit of Fantasy every now and then.....but, I'm hard to please. The last ten or so books that have been suggested to me, Ive thought were okay but nothing brilliant......I want to read something that is good from beginning to end...the whole package, great idea, meaningful, intelligent, exciting...help please. Ive been reading so many books that start with the complete package but appear to run out of steam and have weak endings. I think thats the key for me, I want something with a good ending, it can be thought provoking, shocking or just intelligently linking threads together.

All suggestions welcome, renew my faith in Sci Fi/Slipstream books, please!

Can you give us some examples of books that didn't do it for you?
Plenty of lists of "the bestSF" on here, but I am sure that folks would be willing to tailor suggestions to your requirements.

Can you give us some examples of books that didn't do it for you?
Plenty of lists of "the bestSF" on here, but I am sure that folks would be willing to tailor suggestions to your requirements.

Recently Ive read Perdido Street Station and The Scar by Mieville. Illium and Olympus by Simmons. American Gods by Gaiman (only half read). Matter and The Algebraist by Banks.

Most were good books but non blew me away. Illium was probably the closest, but was let down by Olympus. Weak endings seem to be my biggest issue, so many books seem to have brilliant ideas, but dont finish with equally brilliant endings.

Maybe I want the moon on a stick!