Prospect of War by Ian Sales' new cover...

Gary Compton

I miss you, wor kid.
It would appear I have another cover to show you.

Ian Sales' trilogy starts with A Prospect of War. This is being launched at Alex Davis' Edge-Lit.
Here's the blurb.

"Lieutenant-Commander Rizbeka demar Rinharte is lieutenant of
intelligence aboard Vengeful, a renegade battlecruiser commanded by
the mysterious Admiral.

Sliva demar Finesz is an inspector in the Office of the Procurator
Imperial, and involved in investigating a conspiracy to overthrow the
Emperor Willim IX.

Murily Plessant is captain of the data-freighter Divine Providence.
She is also an agent of a secret order dedicated to protecting the
Empire against the clandestine machinations of its internal enemies.

Although all three women do not know it, they are fighting the same enemy. Vital to this fight is the young man Casimir Ormuz, a member of Divine Providence’s crew.

Only Plessant and her secret order know the role Ormuz will play… and
even then he is far more pivotal than they realise."

cover8.jpg

Thanks Brian. The setting has to be Edwardianish so I think I got the ship right without copying Space battleship Yamoto. :)

Excellent cover.

I like how the planet acts as a sky-like backdrop to the ship: full of clouds (that are actually huge storms in the planet's atmosphere).

That's a nice cover :)

yep, ver' cool, but i reckon Ian's name could do with standing out a little more as tonally it matches the planet too much. might work if you could highlight the lettering with a thin black border.

I love the look of the ship. And I agree about Ian's name, it does seem to fade into the colours of the planet.

I will attend to the name but glad you liked it. The ship I had to digitally construct to get the look.

hm... I'd love to know how that ship deals with the recoil from the cannons... otherwise the ship could be sent in all sorts of directions...
... and I'm rather curious as to what kind of planet or moon that is... it suggests a mix of ice-scape, fluffy clouds and Swiss like greenery... altogether an enticing novel cover - well done for piquing my curiosity. Hope it works on others just as well or even better.

In other words - Wow to the cover!

Foxbat, that is exactly what Ian said to me. "The ship must have a superstructure like Dreadnought. Are you psychic?

No, but I did have an uncle who served on HMS Nelson and Belfast (including during the battle of North cape when Belfast helped sink The Scharnhorst) during WW2...kind of got me interested in navy ships:)

I must admit I love the setting, Edwardianish but in Space. Brilliant writing.

And Serendipity, the ship has a gizmotron down below in engineering that deals with that problem LOL

Very dreadnought. Nice, looks like it means business - and that business is blowing shizzle up.

A couple of critique points-

It seems to me the superstructure is a little offset from the centreline (to the left as you look at it). Could be intentional of course, after all, aircraft carriers are like that.

Also looks like the light source may be inconsistent. The super structure is shaded from a direction where on the hull it is illuminated. That might be being overly picky though.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Nerds_feather Book Discussion 5
M Andromeda 12