Shiny and new but does it make any sense? - 800 words

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jo Zebedee

Aliens vs Belfast.
Supporter
I have something shiny and new* (but don't tell @Phyrebrat). This is the prologue and I'm not sure how well I've managed to convey the set up of the city, and the era. I'll ask the specific questions at the bottom. All comments welcome, including if it's hooky!

*Some of you might recognise it from an old 300 worder, but the idea won't go away, darn it... :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PROLOGUE – A STORM OF MAGES

The crowd gathered in Nova Grantia’s great Platform Square, lining the metal gantries overlooking it. The lowest tiers held the miners, faces grimed and dark. Next, the support workers – the cleaners and cooks, the stock and suppliers. Above them, the gentry, who used power for hot showers, lighting, for cooking. All luxuries. Anna found her fists clenching. If she’d been older, say twelve, she’d have launched herself up the stairs and tried to send them to the hard ground beneath. Better, even, if they fell past the pit-heads, into the bowels of the black diamond mine.

The sound of the crowd surged, a rolling yell, growing and ebbing. Anna’s stomach clenched, doubling her. She knew what had to happen next. She clutched her mother’s hand, hard and harder. Please, let it not happen. Let something stop it. But the rain built, dripping off the metal girders, and the wind whistled through the square, lifting papers that had proclaimed this day, a fresh surge of power from the city’s generators.

Unbidden, her eyes sought the top of the platform, where ten cages were raised above the square, their black support-legs hiding wires and cogs to carry power to the city. They weren’t generators, but prisons.

The cargo-elevator came to life with a whine. She could imagine what had happened on the Outland Plain below, how the high gate to the Mage quarter must have already opened, grinding like something alive. The mages would be confined to their houses, all but the ten. Guards would line the streets, carbines at the ready for any who tried to run. She should be there, not smuggled out three days ago.

The elevator reached her level and stopped with a shuddering clank. She could barely watch the gate opening. Behind it, ten mages stood. She ran her eyes across their faces, a prayer half on her lips. Four women, six men. She ignored the women, focused on the men in their slick black, their long robes tattered. She took in the chains at their wrists, how one had an eye half-shut and bruised. She saw how tightly their guards held their neck chains. Her eyes fell on the last in the row, and the prayer died, unsaid. She had to clutch her mother’s hand, tighter and tighter, to stop herself falling. It was true; her father had been selected.

He was pushed out. She saw how he stumbled. How he fought, despite his chains. He glanced once at her mother, gave an almost imperceptible nod: his eyes were sadder than she’d have believed possible. Sad, and full of fear.

He was pushed up the metal stairs to the top tier. The crowd fell silent and the mages’ steps echoed, barely muffled by the rain. They reached the cage platform. The crowd’s heads craned back, watching. Anna’s eyes swam with tears; her mother gave a stifled cry. Barely seen through misted rain, the mages were forced into their cages.

The crowd began shouting, a baying mass of people. They needed power. Without it the mines would grind to a halt and there’d be nothing to send on the railroad crossing the Plain, nothing to trade for food for the city. There had to be power for the city. For that the storms on the Plain were used, the high winds that rocked the great metal rig. The storms, and the mages to convert the power.

The wind rose. The spectacle had been well timed. The tingle of the storm came into Anna’s fingers. Warmth spread past the chill of seeing her father’s chains, his eyes. She wished she could use the growing storm to blast the Council to nothing. Free her father. But the power was channelled by lightning rods on the cages. Only a fraction of it reached her level.

A lightning bolt hit the line of cages. The city juddered into light and the mines thrummed, making the platform vibrate. Machinery started, the conveyors carrying rock to be smashed, any released diamonds would be transferred laterto the rail-road carriages.

Her father’s pain hit, deep inside her, power to power, blood to blood. She cried out at it. Her mother pulled her hand away. She crouched and kissed Anna. Shoved her further into the miners’ tier.

“She’ll work hard for you,” she said. Money was handed over, precious money provided by the Mage’s council. A last smile for Anna, a final admonishment: “Be good.”

And Anna was turned away. A rough hand took hers, a shepherding body behind, and pulled her down the steps towards the mining quarter, where it was dark and hot. The stench of oil and fire and despair enveloped her; she left the square, and her mother, and her dying father.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions:

1. The city is based around an old mining rig (like an oil rig, but on land) which was the original settlement for a mining settlement. The platform described here is the central area of the rig. Below, on the ground, there is a plain where a larger city has grown up as the mine became viable and valuable. The main city is where the story will take place, although I'm sure the platform will come into it again. Did any of this convey? Or we do we need more of an info-dump, Captain?

2. The feel of it is hopefully going to be quite steampunkish - did that come across?

Thanks for anyone who has the time and inclination to have a look!

It did come across, very well. It reminded me a bit of City of Ember by Jeanne du Prau. I could feel the heat, the despair, the darkness.

Only a couple of comments.

The first paragraph, which should have grabbed me, came across as a list and I had to read it a couple of times to get the picture clear in my head.

Anna found her fists clenching

I think you could just say 'Anna clenched her fists' in the interests of clarity.

Anna’s stomach clenched, doubling her. She knew what had to happen next. She clutched her mother’s hand, hard and harder.

I thought clutched and clenched were a bit close together in this paragraph. making it a little clunky, especially as you've already used 'clenched' in the first paragraph, but that is probably just me.

Hey Springs, Just a quick look from me...

I have to say the description of the scene confused me a bit. The first part with the crowd about the 'Platform Square' gave me the impression of a huge square with a large low platform in the middle and surrounded by 'buildings' of at least three tiers. So when I reach the point when the elevator reached Anna's level and then afterwards the description of 'the great metal rig' I wondered 1) right my image of this place is wrong - are they significantly higher up? 2) Where has this rig come from. If it was truly a great rig then I think it should have been stand out in the very first description of the square right at the top.

Also where the cages go relative to the rig - because Anna's father is pushed to the top 'tier' (of the rig, of the gantries or are they both connected in some manner? As top tier is where all the gentry are described to be in the first paragraph.)

So basically to answer your question my first couple of readings of what the platform square looks like doesn't seem to conform to how you've described it in question one.

With regards to the second question, unfortunately my experience of recent Steampunk is minimal - so I can't really help you. One thing though - when you say the mine was for 'black diamonds' I instantly thought of coal. Which would be quite steampunk, no? However, it seems that it really is black diamonds, is that right?

EDIT - no I've thought through it - if they were mining coal, then they'd have a source of power other than wizards/witches and lightning...

Last edited:
Thanks both. Yes, VB, that's what I was worried about. I'll make it clearer it's a platform with tiered seating/stands, and then above that, around the outside edges there are raised gantries leading to the cages.

Thanks!

Edit - yes, it's black diamonds they're mining for, not coal. :)

Hi Springs,

Really nice intro. Anna's despair comes across really well, but I think that sort of thing is a real strength of yours, from what little I've seen.

I had the same problem as Venusian: my initial image of the rig was quite amphitheatrical, with the square in the middle more of a stage, so when the cargo elevator came in I was a tad confused. The people all baying and cheering added to the amphitheatre feel. It felt more like sacrifice for entertainment rather than industry. Why are they all there to see the lights switched on? Is it a ceremony or just an operational procedure that has to happen every now and then?

In this world are there more traditional oil rigs as well as these coal rigs? If so, might you work in the mental image of an oil rig somehow into Anna's narrative? Otherwise the imagery is a bit off.

But the emotional side of the opening is fantastic.

She’ll work hard for you,” she said. Money was handed over, precious money provided by the Mage’s council. A last smile for Anna, a final admonishment: “Be good.” I'm guessing her mother says this. It wasn't clear initially who said it, and who was being addressed, and had to read it twice. Tad more clarity perhaps, or a glimpse of the man / woman who's taking Anna away.

"Black diamond mine." Noddy question, but is this a mine for black diamonds, or is Anna describing the mine - literally the hole in the ground - as black (she is imagining people falling into it at this point).

Thanks, DG. Yes, it's fair to say I can normally do characters. It's just that ol' worldbuilding that kills me (I blame 40 years of skipping over descriptive passages...). So, I now have this:

The crowd had gathered in Nova Grantia’s great Platform Square. This, the oldest part of the city, the centre of the original mining rig, was used only for public gatherings.

Around the platform, tiered stands were filled: the miners, faces grimed and dark, on the lowest levels. Next, the support workers – the cleaners and cooks, the stock and suppliers. Above them, the gentry, who used power for hot showers, lighting, for cooking. All luxuries. Anna’s fists clenched. If she’d been older, say twelve, she’d have launched herself up the stairs and tried to send them to the hard ground beneath. Better, even, if they fell past the pit-heads, into the bowels of the black diamond mine.

and this:

Unbidden, her eyes sought the top of the platform, above the seating area. There, on top of gantries behind the seating tiers, were ten cages, their black support-legs hiding wires and cogs to carry power to the city. They weren’t generators, but prisons.

The lift stopped at the platform level....He was pushed past the crowd and up the gantry’s metal stairs to the top tier. The crowd fell silent and the mages’ steps echoed, barely muffled by the rain. They reached the cage platform. The crowd’s heads craned back, watching. Anna’s eyes swam with tears; her mother gave a stifled cry. Barely seen through misted rain, the mages were forced into their cages.

Any clearer? (Did I mention I hate description recently? I'm sure I did, somewhere... :D)

Proper big teeth, my precious, because it's you.

It's good of course, but also: um. I dunno. It's going to be great -- I can see it is -- but it's not quite there for me yet.

I really like the idea (I remember that 300 worder), and the structure of the opening, but for some reason this feels a little muffled. A bit distant, almost?

Partly, maybe, it's the slightly neutralish list at the start -- Anna's vision of the gentry, the depths of her fury, is a little tangled with the worldbuilding -- and the idea of something like "showers", maybe. How does she know, if she never uses power for that? Is her list of the things they use power for coming through Anna's eyes or is it, ever so slightly, for the benefit of the reader?

And if she's filled with insane rage and misery, what's this about waiting to be twelve? It made me wonder, somehow, about her feelings -- and the fury seemed to come quite suddenly, because I hadn't really picked it up before from the list.

Have you thought about flipping it round a little and starting with the cages? Anna fixated on them, unable to look around, knowing, because she's been here before that... etc etc etc.

But for me, don't worry about the world building too much yet -- get into Anna's head and see exactly what's going on with her rage and misery without needing to explain it -- even if you need to start the story at home so we get how grim the change is -- and worry about the worldbuilding (which is good and interesting, but not yet!) later. But you know how I am with worldbuilding :)

(I blame 40 years of skipping over descriptive passages...)

I admit to trying to get them out of the way as quickly as possible...

p.s. I do love the vibe and the character of Anna that is being painted.

The crowd had gathered in Nova Grantia’s great Platform Square. This, the oldest part of the city, the centre of the original mining rig, was used only for public gatherings.

Still a bit strange, because it sort of suggests that the great Platform Square is in the centre of the original mining rig - i.e. square is somewhere on the rig itself (and therefore the rig is utterly massive) but in the next sentence below the tiered stands are around the (or a) 'platform'.

Do you mean something like:

'The crowd had gathered in Nova Grantia’s great Platform Square, the oldest part of the city. The square girdled the original mining rig, a massive platform of steel girders and pipes that had found the first rich seam of black diamonds, but* was now used only for public gatherings.'

* me using my imagination, sorry ;)

Around the platform, tiered stands were filled:

This now makes it, in my mind, like a stadium of sorts. (Nothing wrong with that, maybe an image you can use?)

Unbidden, her eyes sought the top of the platform, above the seating area. There, on top of gantries behind the seating tiers, were ten cages, their black support-legs hiding wires and cogs to carry power to the city. They weren’t generators, but prisons.

A few points:
  • When you say above the seating area, do you mean above the very top seating area or above just Anna's seating area? Slightly confused.
  • Then the gantries behind the seating tiers - if it is the seating tiers that are described in the first paragraph, then behind in my mind is out of sight behind Anna's head as she is looking forward at the platform. (It might be my mind that isn't working!) I was thinking that you have an 'off-shore' rig-type platform in the middle of the square and there are gantries that are the highest structures on this platform. So perhaps summit like: 'There, forming the highest point in the square*, were ten cages right at the top of a high, flimsy looking gantry, its support-legs hiding wires and cogs...'
  • An odd sentence to me, because I would think that cages were prisons first, not generators. 'They were generators as well as prisons' perhaps?
* erm I put this in, because if you want them to be hit by lightning, (and not hit the rich people) I'd put the cages as high up as possible!

I hope some of the that helps! Ignore if I am making no sense :)

Thank you, all lovelys. Hex, the teeth are good. I suspect the scene will change - I like the idea of the gantries coming first - once I'm sure people can understand what's going where. Vb, thank you. Although, actually, the visual you're getting isn't far wrong so I maybe won't get too worried. :)

Well, first off, it’s very good. Lots of good description and I think (for once, given what I’d usually say) the passive observer works quite well, because it emphasises her helplessness.

I too had a problem visualising the setting: I thought of an amphitheatre and a sort of raised platform. I also thought of an execution, as per A Game of Thrones, with a scaffold in the middle. I’m not sure how you’d make this clearer, though. Also, why are the people watching this? Are the mages a sort of criminal being publicly punished? If not, I’d expect them to be regarded as a resource and less of a spectacle to be made of it.

There are a couple of info-dumps, where the odd sentence feels like it’s been squashed into the story to flesh out the setting, especially the bit about showering at the start. Also, the ending, in which it seems that Anna is sold to a miner, seems rather quickly done. Personally, I’d have made that a scene in its own right – I think it’s got enough dramatic potential, perhaps more than her father’s death.

So yes, it makes sense. It has a strong atmosphere, a feeling of doom, and the writing is good. It perhaps needs to be a bit clearer in some respects, but that’s for the editing.

Thanks, Toby. Yes, some editing to do. I don't want to do a second chapter as this is a prologue, but like the idea of a scene break and a second, longer scene. That would really work. :)

It's possible I'm being a bit dim, but I have no idea where Anna is standing through the scene. I also didn't realise until the second pass that Anna's father is one of the mages... and I don't quite understand how any system that relies on repeatedly sacrificing people actually works, and the people that are in line to be sacrificed haven't just left, or rebelled.

It's possible I'm being a bit dim, but I have no idea where Anna is standing through the scene. I also didn't realise until the second pass that Anna's father is one of the mages... and I don't quite understand how any system that relies on repeatedly sacrificing people actually works, and the people that are in line to be sacrificed haven't just left, or rebelled.

Just sorting all that now. :) the dying is gone. And, of course, rebellion might be what it's all about. :)

Okay, on the basis that less is more and a prologue is just a glimpse - a taster - with characters who will appear at some time in the story (If Anna's in chapter one chronologically close to this, then the prologue should be chapter one itself) then I do like it, but it could be a good bit tighter. The important things to get over (correct me if I'm wrong) is that Anna has mage blood, and that mages are used as lightning conductors - so we assume at some time that Anna may well suffer the same fate iffen she ain't careful and her mother is trying to protect her by giving her away to the mining levels (selling her or receiving money, I couldn't work out which), so how about an incredibly radical solution? Which really grips the reader with its intrigue and mystery, and he'll know the writer is going to do the worldbuilding and explaining as she goes along:

A lightning bolt hit the line of cages, and Anna felt the pain of the Mages imprisoned inside them. The city juddered into light and the mines thrummed, making the platform vibrate. Machinery started, the conveyors carried rock to be smashed, to find the elusive diamonds.

Her father’s pain hit, deep inside her, power to power, blood to blood. She cried out at it. Her mother pulled her hand away from the railing. She crouched and kissed Anna. Shoved her further into the miners’ tier.

“She’ll work hard for you,” she said. Money was handed over, precious money provided by the Mage’s council. A last smile for Anna, a final admonishment: “Be good.”

And Anna was turned away. A rough hand took hers, a shepherding body behind, and pulled her down the steps towards the mining quarter, where it was dark and hot. The stench of oil and fire and despair enveloped her; she left the square, and her mother, and her dying father.

And leave it at that...

But to answer your questions:
1. Yes. No.
2. Yes.

*sharpens claws*

Platform Square - dislike the name. Sounds a bit matter-of-fact [of course, it may fit the world well].

in... overlooking - sounds a little contradictory. Minor change would make it plain they're both in the square itself *and* the gantries above.

grimed and dark - dark with grime? Not fond of 'grimed'.

She knew what had to happen next. She - I'd make this one sentence "...next, and she..."

rain built - I'd changed 'built' [bit of a mechanical word for a natural phenomenon]

lifting papers that had proclaimed this day, a fresh surge of power from the city’s generators. - feels like there's a word or two missing or in need of changing. Something like 'proclaimed that this day there would be a fresh surge'. Or you could axe the final clause.

not smuggled out three days ago. - I'd changed to something like 'instead she had been smuggled...'.

stopped with a shuddering - style only: and with a final clank shuddered to a halt/stop.

She ignored - this paragraph has many chapters starting with 'She'. I'd change a couple to avoid repetition.

well timed - hyphenate

1. Came across well, I thought.

2. Not especially au fait with steampunk. I think so. [I'll be more use if you write something with dragons. And pretentious elves].

I remember the 300-worder. And very nice it was. :)

In general I like the overall feel, but I think the teething done by others like Hex is valid. Personally, I think it needs a little more on the imagery and a little less on the exposition, for instance, I wouldn't want to read any of this at the start of a story: (later, yes)

They needed power. Without it the mines would grind to a halt and there’d be nothing to send on the railroad crossing the Plain, nothing to trade for food for the city. There had to be power for the city. For that the storms on the Plain were used, the high winds that rocked the great metal rig. The storms, and the mages to convert the power.

Also, I would never have pictured this as steampunk. I think you need to up the vibe a lot more!

Yes, maybe the 1st sentence could wiggle around a bit.
The () crowd lined the metal gantries overlooking Nova Grantia’s great Platform Square.

Just for interest (I always like to see what happens to scenes I crit) this is now the first 500 words or so. The last part is pretty much unchanged, although I may lenghten it a bit. This is where I'll leave it for now:

Ana made her way to Nova Grantia’s great square, climbing one of the four gantry staircases. Wind whistled through the gaps in the metalwork, making her fingers tingle and fear spike her spine. A storm was coming, and the new selection would face it.

Her mother, beside her, climbed in silence. Behind, people pushed upwards but she gave no ground Nothing must give her away – enough of a chance had been taken smuggling her from the Mage quarter. To be found, here and free, would condemn a mage to a forty-day selection, even one not yet thirteen. And not even the strongest Mage could survive that.

The mingled sense of the storm, the close danger of discovery, were enough to make the tingling become a living thing under Ana’s skin, until she had to clench her fists and hold the power within.
She emerged into daylight. The top of the rig was exposed to the wind as the Mage quarter never was. She breathed in: rain was held in the air, lightning not far away. She wanted to fling her arms out, to embrace the coming storm and use its power to push through the miners, the cooks and the cleaners, the stock and suppliers, to the gentry on their raised dais at the centre of the platform. It was always a spectacle, the ending of the Darkness, more so when a storm threatened.

She’d tell them their last selection had taken Blake, who was only thirteen. That he’d come back from his first twenty-day supported by the other mages, barely walking, the smile he’d carried through the years of knowing what lay ahead gone. She’d knock them off the mining rig and hope they didn’t die on the ground but fell into the mine beneath, all the way to the black diamond seams, and broke their heads open on their greed.

The first drum sounded. The Mage quarter’s gate would be opening, grinding and low. The ten would be forced forward, their chains already on. The noise of the crowd surged, a rolling yell, growing and ebbing. Anna’s stomach clenched, doubling her. She clutched her mother’s hand, hard and harder. The mages' pleas not to face the storm, to wait another day and extend the Darkness until it passed, had been refused. Now the rain built, dripping off the metal girders, and the wind whistled.

Her eyes sought the top of the gantries. The ten cages, so long heard about but never seen by her, waited. Their black support-legs, hiding wires and cogs to carry power to the city, were thick and heavy.

A second drum sounded. The mages would be loaded into the elevator at ground level. It came to life with a whine. The crowd roared it on its journey until it reached platform level and stopped with a shuddering clank.

I like the flow of this one a lot better. It has a more urgent, immediate feel to it than the other version. A couple of things:

gentry on their raised dais

As you use 'gantry' I'd use another word here, nobility or something. Gentry is too close.

The Mage quarter’s gate would be opening, grinding and low. The ten would be forced forward, their chains already on.

I'm guessing you're writing it like this because she can't see or hear the Mage quarter's gate? But I don't like the repeated use of 'would be'. So maybe something like: 'She imagined the Mage gate opening, grinding and low, and the ten forced forwards, chains already on.'

The mages would be loaded

Same here with the 'would be'. Can you find another way? Like adding it to the previous para: 'She imagined the Mage gate opening, grinding and low, and the ten forced forwards into the elevator, chains already on.' Then this one can simply read: 'The elevator came to life with a whine as it left ground level.'

Status
Not open for further replies.