The original aSoIaF synopsis

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
*Potential spoilers!!*

Apparently, George R R Martin's original synopsis for A Song of Fire and Ice has surfaced online, originally from a series of photos linked to by Waterstones.

Business Insider tells the story of how they came about, and republishes the photos (they were deleted at the source).
http://uk.businessinsider.com/game-of-thrones-was-supposed-to-be-a-trilogy-2015-2

Here's the text - if you dare read it - but there are a few surprises in how the originally planning fundamentally changed:

- - - - - - - -

October 1993

Dear Ralph,

Here are the first thirteen chapters (170 pages) of the high fantasy novel I promised you, which I'm calling A Game of Thrones. When completed, this will be the first volume in what I see as an epic trilogy with the overall title, A Song of Ice and Fire.

As you know, I don't outline my novels. I find that if I know exactly where a book is going, I lose all interest in writing it. I do, however, have some strong notions as to the overall structure of the story I'm telling, and the eventual fate of many of the principle [sic] characters in the drama.

Roughly speaking, there are three major conflicts set in motion in the chapters enclosed. These will form the major plot threads of the trilogy, intertwining with each other in what should be a complex but exciting (I hope) narrative tapestry. Each of the conflicts presents a major threat to the peace of my imaginary realm, the Seven Kingdoms, and to the lives of the principal characters.

The first threat grows from the enmity between the great houses of Lannister and Stark as it plays out in a cycle of plot, counterplot, ambition, murder, and revenge, with the iron throne of the Seven Kingdoms as the ultimate prize. This will form the backbone of the first volume of the trilogy, A Game of Thrones.

While the lion of Lannister and the direwolf of Stark snarl and scrap, however, a second and greater threat takes shape across the narrow sea, where the Dothraki horselords mass their barbarians hordes for a great invasion of the Seven Kingdoms, led by the fierce and beautiful Daenerys Stormborn, the last of the Targaryen dragonlords. The Dothraki invasion will be the central story of my second volume, A Dance with Dragons.

The greatest danger of all, however, comes from the north, from the icy wastes beyond the Wall, where half-forgotten demons out of legend, the inhuman others, raise cold legions of the undead and the neverborn and prepare to ride down on the winds of winter to extinguish everything that we would call "life." The only thing that stands between the Seven Kingdoms and an endless night is the Wall, and a handful of men in black called the Night's Watch. Their story will be the heart of my third volume, The Winds of Winter. The final battle will also draw together characters and plot threads left from the first two books and resolve all in one huge climax.

The thirteen chapters on hand should give you a notion as to my narrative strategy. All three books will feature a complex mosaic of intercutting points-of-view among various of my large and diverse cast of players. The cast will not always remains the same. Old characters will die, and new ones will be introduced. Some of the fatalities will include sympathetic viewpoint characters. I want the reader to feel that no one is ever completely safe, not even the characters who seem to be the heroes. The suspense always ratchets up a notch when you know that any character can die at any time.

Five central characters will make it through all three volumes, however, growing from children to adults and changing the world and themselves in the process. In a sense, my trilogy is almost a generational saga, telling the life stories of these five characters, three men and two women. The five key players are Tyrion Lannister, Daenerys Targaryen, and three of the children of Winterfell, Arya, Bran, and the ******* Jon Snow. All of them are introduced at some length in the chapters you have to hand.

This is going to be (I hope) quite an epic. Epic in its scale, epic in its action, and epic in its length. I see all three volumes as big books, running about 700 to 800 manuscript pages, so things are just barely getting underway in the thirteen chapters I've sent you.

I have quite a clear notion of how the story is going to unfold in the first volume, A Game of Thrones. Things will get a lot worse for the poor Starks before they get better, I'm afraid. Lord Eddard Stark and his wife Catelyn Tully are both doomed, and will perish at the hands of their enemies. Ned will discover what happened to his friend Jon Arryn, but before he can act on his knowledge, King Robert will have an unfortunate accident, and the throne will pass to his sullen and brutal son Joffrey, still a minor. Joffrey will not be sympathetic and Ned will be accused of treason, but before he is taken he will help his wife and his daughter escape back to Winterfell.

Each of the contending families will learn it has a member of dubious loyalty in its midst. Sansa Stark, wed to Joffrey Baratheon, will bear him a son, the heir to the throne, and when the crunch comes she will choose her husband and child over her parents and siblings, a choice she will later bitterly rue. Tyrion Lannister, meanwhile, befriend both Sansa and her sister Arya, while growing more and more disenchanted with his own family.

Young Bran will come out of his coma, after a strange prophetic dream, only to discover that he will never walk again. He will turn to magic, at first in the hope of restoring his legs, but later for its own sake. When his father Eddard Stark is executed, Bran will see the shape of doom descending on all of them, but nothing he can say will stop his brother Robb from calling the banners in rebellion. All the north will be inflamed by war. Robb will win several splendid victories, and maim Joffrey Baratheon on the battlefield, but in the end he will not be able to stand against Jaime and Tyrion Lannister and their allies. Robb Stark will die in battle, and Tyrion Lannister will besiege and burn Winterfell.

Jon Snow, the *******, will remain in the far north. He will mature into a ranger of great daring, and ultimately will succeed his uncle as the commander of the Night's Watch. When Winterfell burns, Catelyn Stark will be forced to flee north with her son Bran and her daughter Arya. Hounded by Lannister riders, they will seek refuge at the Wall, but the men of the Night's Watch give up their families when they take the black, and Jon and Benjen will not be able to help, to Jon's anguish. It will lead to a bitter estrangement between Jon and Bran. Arya will be more forgiving... until she realizes, with terror, that she has fallen in love with Jon, who is not only her half-brother but a man of the Night's Watch, sworn to celibacy. Their passion will continue to torment Jon and Arya throughout the trilogy, until the secret of Jon's true parentage is finally revealed in the last book.

Abandoned by the Night's Watch, Catelyn and her children will find their only hope of safety lies even further north, beyond the Wall, where they fall into the hands of Mance Rayder, the King-beyond-the-Wall, and get a dreadful glimpse of the inhuman others as they attack the wildling encampment. Bran's magic, Arya's sword Needle, and the savagery of their direwolves will help them survive, but their mother Catelyn will die at the hands of the others.

Over across the narrow sea, Daenerys Targaryen will discover that her new husband, the Dothraki Khal Drogo, has little interest in invading the Seven Kingdoms, much to her brother's frustration. When Viserys presses his claims past the point of tact or wisdom, Khal Drogo will finally grow annoyed and kill him out of hand, eliminating the Targaryen pretender and leaving Daenerys as the last of her line. Daenerys will bide her time, but she will not forget. When the moment is right, she will kill her husband to avenge her brother, and then flee with a trusted friend into the wilderness beyond Vaes Dothrak. There, hunted by Dothraki bloodriders [?] of her life, she stumbles on a cache of dragon's eggs [?] of a young dragon will give Daenerys the power to bend the Dothraki to her will. Then she begins to plan for her invasion of the Seven Kingdoms.

Tyrion Lannister will continue to travel, to plot, and to play the game of thrones, finally removing his nephew Joffrey in disgust at the boy king's brutality. Jaime Lannister will follow Joffrey on the throne of the Seven Kingdoms, by the simple expedient of killing everyone ahead of him in the line of succession and blaming his brother Tyrion for the murders. Exiled, Tyrion will change sides, making common cause with surviving Starks to bring his brother down, and falling helplessly in love with Arya Stark while he's at it. His passion is, alas, unreciprocated, but no less intense for that, and it will lead to a deadly rivalry between Tyrion and Snow.

[7 Lines Redacted]

But that's the second book...

I hope you'll find some editors who are as excited about all of this as I am. Feel free to share this letter with anyone who wants to know how the story will go.

All best,

George R.R. Martin

- - - - - - - -

However, that's not the end of the story.

As you can see by the photos in the Business Insider story, and the text above, 7 lines have been redacted.

But according to Heretic at the Westeros forums, the redacted lines may run something like this

Continuing the most imaginative and ambitious epic fantasy since The Lord of the Rings Winter has come at last and no man can say whether it will ever go again. The Wall is broken, the cold dead legions are coming south, and the people of the Seven Kingdoms turn to their queen to protect them. But Daenerys Targaryen is learning what Robert Baratheon learned before her; that it is one thing to win a throne and quite another to sit on one. Before she can hope to defeat the Others, Dany knows she must unite the broken realm behind her. Wolf and lion must hunt together, maester and greenseer work as one, all the blood feuds must be put aside, the bitter rivals and sworn enemies join hands. The Winds of Winter tells the story of Dany’s fight to save her new-won kingdom, of two desperate journeys beyond the known world in to the very hearts of ice and fire, and of the final climactic battle at Winterfell, with life itself in the balance.

which actually appear as publisher's blurb for the Winds of Winter (despite the World of Ice and Fire image).

What's interesting is simply how much has changed since 1993 - and the mystery remains of just how much of the above might remain true to the series in its current form - including the 5 characters that - predictably, really - were originally intended to survive.

wow, not sure i'm glad i read that or not, but wow.

I am very glad to have read that. While some things seem to have changed greatly, there are still some key parts preserved. Despite the obvious great changes, it gives me some hope for my wishful thinking scenarios. XD

It's not that much of a spoiler at this point, but has GRRM actually ever confirmed Jon is not Ned's son? Him and Arya would still be close cousins assuming Lyanna the mother. Though not as bad as incest, it makes me think that Jon was originally not supposed to be related to the Starks at all.

It's really cool to see how much the story changed from his original picture. Crazy read! :LOL:

It's not that much of a spoiler at this point, but has GRRM actually ever confirmed Jon is not Ned's son? Him and Arya would still be close cousins assuming Lyanna the mother. Though not as bad as incest, it makes me think that Jon was originally not supposed to be related to the Starks at all.

It's really cool to see how much the story changed from his original picture. Crazy read! :LOL:

Not necessarily. Since Martin was highly inspired by War of Roses England, cousin marriages would be normal and perfectly acceptable, even desirable. We hadn't had many mentions of them directly in ASOIAF, but they were pretty normal not so long ago historically.

Not necessarily. Since Martin was highly inspired by War of Roses England, cousin marriages would be normal and perfectly acceptable, even desirable. We hadn't had many mentions of them directly in ASOIAF, but they were pretty normal not so long ago historically.

I figured this might be the case, but couldn't remember how such pairings were treated in the books.

I figured this might be the case, but couldn't remember how such pairings were treated in the books.

Quite honestly, I'm not sure if there were that many in the current storyline since they are in a war time and they are trying to expand their alliances and not strengthen the existing ones with marriages. I could probably dig up some from the The World of Ice and Fire or character backstories in the books.

I decided only to read the first few paragraphs of that in case something spoiled my reading of later books. But I find his below comments interesting. This suggests to me his direction for the last couple of books that he has passed on to others, such as at HBO, may be very limited. Probably some major conclusions.

"As you know, I don't outline my novels. I find that if I know exactly where a book is going, I lose all interest in writing it. I do, however, have some strong notions as to the overall structure of the story I'm telling, and the eventual fate of many of the principle [sic] characters in the drama."

Quite honestly, I'm not sure if there were that many in the current storyline since they are in a war time and they are trying to expand their alliances and not strengthen the existing ones with marriages. I could probably dig up some from the The World of Ice and Fire or character backstories in the books.

Did a quick search and Tywin married his first cousin. It wasn't uncommon for the Targ's but that's not surprising. :rolleyes:

I've changed the title of the thread from "The original Game of Thrones synopsis" to "The original aSoFaI synopsis", as that's more technically correct - it doesn't simply apply to the first novel in the series.

Thanks, Brian.

Wow.

GRRM has fiercely clung to his original script in some ways while tossing out whole other concepts as the story progressed. Robert dies in an accident, while there is not even a hint of Cersei's existence! Jon becomes LC of the NW, but Catelyn, Arya, and Bran do not seek his aid. Yes, Sansa is forced to marry a Targ, but after five books she's still a virgin. Tyrion is blamed for kinslaying, but by Jaime not Cersei.

Yet, it's the smaller changes that are mayhaps more interesting. Dany kills Drogo for love not vengeance. Sansa turns on her family while she's engaged, not after she's married. Tyrion is enamored of Arya not Sansa. Jaime wants to be king not kingmaker.

GRRM mentions political plot, counter plot, and ambition, but he left out Robert's brothers, the Red Viper, the Sand Snakes, everyone from the Iron Islands, Varys, and Middlefinger.

But the most intriguing part to me is the romance between Jon and Arya. I've said it for years... and it's confirmed in GRRM's original pitch. When I read Jon's ASOS chapters, I was stunned by how many times he compared Ygritte to Arya... especially regarding romance, love... and sex. But the question now is will GRRM ever bring that back into the story? It it even possible? And by the way... the possibility of Jon blending the red headed Ygritte and Arya Stark into one romantic love exists in the person of Sansa. Hey, I've got to cover my bases.

One point not mentioned in this letter is the five year gap. I first heard of the five year gap after ASOS was published. GRRM has planned to let five years pass between ASOS and AFFC. This was to allow the Stark children time to grow up a bit. I imagine this to have been especially designed for Bran's mental development and Arya's physical development to put them in their mid to late teens, young adulthood. But it also would give time for Dany to consolidate her plans and gain experience ruling.

GRRM wrote...
Five central characters will make it through all three volumes, however, growing from children to adults and changing the world and themselves in the process. In a sense, my trilogy is almost a generational saga, telling the life stories of these five characters, three men and two women. The five key players are Tyrion Lannister, Daenerys Targaryen, and three of the children of Winterfell, Arya, Bran, and the ******* Jon Snow. All of them are introduced at some length in the chapters you have to hand.
To my mind, this would mean at least seven to ten years. I don't know the ages GRRM envisioned for Arya and Bran, but they were eleven and nine respectively when AGOT was written. The legal age of majority (for males) in the Seven Kingdoms is sixteen, iirc. Eddard wanted to wait until Jon was sixteen for him to make a decision on a profession and Joffrey and Tommen both have been made to rule through a regency because they were not sixteen. So for GRRM to Bran's transition from child to adult, the story needs to go at least seven years... nine to sixteen.

Another extremely interesting part of the letter is the characterization of Jaime and the lack of mention of Cersei. Jaime is avaricious, unscrupulous, murderous, and treacherous... as he is in the books, but not to his own family. In the books, Jaime begins to regret his choices. He starts trying to make up for his sins. The villain fades away. Enter Cersei, Jaime's twin... Jaime's doppleganger... Jaime's alter ego... in a dress. She appears helpless, but she's the Lady Macbeth Ratched Jezebel Medea Annie Wilkes de Vil of the West. I love to hate her. I hate hating Catelyn, but I love hating Cersei. Cersei is responsible in fleshing out so many characters... Robert, Eddard, Jaime, Tyrion, Sansa, Joffrey... And by comparison she shows us the heights and depths of Catelyn, Dany, Arianne, and Asha.

And finally, in the letter, GRRM does not give us any physical descriptions. Physical traits are so important to the story, yet there are none mentioned. Starks have brown hair, brown eyes, and long faces. Lannisters have golden hair, green eyes, and are tall. Targaryens have silver hair, purple eyes, and predilections towards incest and riding dragons. So GRRM did not mention any of that... okay. No biggie. The publisher does not need it. But there was no mention of Tyrion's physical stature. Did GRRM already know the chiefest of the main characters was a dwarf or did it become obvious to him as he wrote more of the story and developed Tyrion's character? When did Tyrion become a dwarf?

There is no way that GRRM will answer our questions regarding this letter until he's finished the entire story. Yet, I for one would love to know the answers.

Is it just me, or did the original plot sound better that the actual partial completed version? Arya certainly seemed to be more interlinked in the main story than she has been.

Boaz, I too wondered about Tyrion being a dwarf in that letter. I also thought that perhaps Tyrion was going to be a bit younger in GRRMs original storyline. Does anyone knowhow old tyrion is supposed to be at the beginning of aGoT?

Is it just me, or did the original plot sound better that the actual partial completed version? Arya certainly seemed to be more interlinked in the main story than she has been.

I don't know about better, but certainly much different. This whole thread actually highlights a point Sry made in this thread http://www.sffchronicles.com/threads/535215/page-14

As for Arya, I am holding out that GRRM's original plan for her is foreshadowing a much more active role in the story to come.

Cersei and Jaime were nine when Oberyn and Elia visited them at Lannisport just after Tyrion was born. Jaime was 16/17 when he was inducted into the Kingsguard at Harrehal. The war broke out within a year of the tourney and Jon was born a year later. Jon was fifteen when AGOT began. I'd put Tyrion's age to be 24-26 when he arrived in Winterfell.

She'd be more closely tied to everyone else but I doubt she'd be anywhere near as interesting a character as she is now (ditto for Tyrion). From my perspective it's kind of hard to compare the original with the actual as the latter is fleshed out. I'm glad of the story and characters as they are now, I don't know what they would look like in this alternate universe.

Just consider this:
Robb will win several splendid victories, and maim Joffrey Baratheon on the battlefield, but in the end he will not be able to stand against Jaime and Tyrion Lannister and their allies. Robb Stark will die in battle, and Tyrion Lannister will besiege and burn Winterfell.

Much more generic than how these two actually meet their ends, and what happens at Winterfell.

Also, here's the last line of the proposed version of the redacted lines...

The Winds of Winter tells the story of Dany’s fight to save her new-won kingdom, of two desperate journeys beyond the known world in to the very hearts of ice and fire, and of the final climactic battle at Winterfell, with life itself in the balance.

Two journeys. Who is going? Is Dany going to both the Heart of Ice and the Heart of Fire? I can imagine where to go to find ice... just go north. Bran is the most obvious choice and Jon is second... maybe. Doesn't Dany need to go beyond Assahi, beyond the Shadow? Is it shadow or is it smoke? Where there's smoke, there's fire. Or is Valyria the Heart of Fire? Or is a dragon... or a dragon's gullet... or a dragon's heart the heart of fire?

And with Tyrion's activities in war in a greater place in the letter, I can see him more clearly as Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick, the Kingmaker. I always thought of Tywin as Neville, but he never switched sides. Tyrion has been predicted to switch sides ever since Cersei had him arrested.

If Jaime kills all his kinsmen to gain the throne, does that make him Richard III? Were Joffrey and Tommen originally imagined as Edward V and his brother Richard, the princes in the tower? I remember a famous portrait of the blond haired boys dressed in black. Richard III was certainly behind their murders... and both Thomas More and Shakespeare claim the actual killing was done by James Tyrrell>>>>> Loras Tyrell?

Another concern after reading the letter is that Tyrion in no way seems to be destined to be a dragonrider, i.e. no dragon, no Dany, no crown. Mayhaps he'll be Dany's Hand and/or the Lord of Casterly Rock... but what about Sansa? Arya? (It's astounding news.) What about Penny?

There was a mention of Dany's trusted friend who helped her escape the Dothraki.... yup, my favorite non-POV character, Jorah.

Now imagine you are Ralph (the recipient of the letter and I imagine he was/is GRRM's agent) and reading the letter for the first time... even before reading the thirteen attached chapters. Here is a list of the characters, families, cultures, and organizations thrown out of the blue at Ralph.

Lannister
Stark
Targaryen
Snow
Baratheon
Tyrion Lannister
Jaime Lannister
King Robert
Daenerys Stormborn
Khal Drogo
Eddard (Ned)
Catelyn Tully Stark
Jon Arryn
Robb
Bran Stark
Arya Stark
Sansa Stark
Jon
Joffrey Baratheon
Sansa's son
Khal Drogo
Benjen
Viserys
Mance Rayder
a trusted friend
the Night's Watch
the Dothraki
others
demons
undead
direwolves
a young dragon
dragon eggs
the Seven Kingdoms
the Wall
beyond-the-Wall
the Narrow Sea
Winterfell
Vaes Dothrak
Needle

That's a lot to take in. And by the way... GRRM casually mention a large and diverse cast of players.

Greyjoy, Frey, Martell, Tyrell, Sand, Mormont, Tarly, Reed, Dayne, Florent, Bolton, Umber, and Manderly.

Brienne, Jorah, the Old Bear, Sam, Pod, Bronn, Shae, Tywin, Cersei, Littlefinger, Varys, Jeyne Poole, Theon, Asha, Victarion, Aeron, Stannis, Davos, Melisandre, Tormund, Ygritte, Dolorous Edd, Rickon, Osha, Luwin, Rodrik, Ramsay, Qhorin, Bronze Yohn Royce, the Red Viper, the Blackfish, Lysa, Lord Robert, Mord, Lord Walder, Gatehouse Ami, Weese, Gendry, Hot Pie, Lommy, the Mountain, Vargo Hoat, Yoren, Chataya, Alayaya, Beric, Thoros, Anguy, Lem, Nimble Dick, Biter, Rorge, Jaqen, Syrio Forel, the High Septon, the new High Septon, the third High Septon, the Kettleblacks, Loras, Margaery, Mace, the Queen of Thorns, Renly, Doran, Arianne, Areo Hotah, Arys Oakheart, Quentyn, Gerris, BFS, Penny, Quaithe, Aggo, Jhogo, Rakharo, Doreah, Irri, Jhiqui, Missandei, Grey Worm, Daario Naharis, the Shavepate, Magister Illyrio, Pyat Pree, Darkstar, Xaro Xhoan Daxos, Strong Belwas, Roose Bolton, the Greatjon, Griff, Young Griff, Lemore, Duck, Janos Slynt, Varamyr Sixskins, and the Hound.

Valyrians, Andals, Rhoynar, the First Men, the Children of the Forest, Giants, the Silent Sisters, the Kingsguard, the Queensguard, the Rainbow Guard, the Maesters, the Pyromancers, the Gold Cloaks, the Red Cloaks, the Black Cloaks, the White Cloaks, the Sand Snakes, Mountain Clans, the Bloody Mummers, the Brotherhood Without Banners, Sorrowful Men and the Faceless Men.

The Faith of the Seven, the Drowned God, the Lord of Light, the Great Stallion, the Great Shepherd, and The Other.

Drogon, Rhaegal, Viserion, Stranger, Dancer, Grey Wind, Lady, Nymeria, Summer, Shaggydog, and Ghost. Oh... and Honor and Glory.

King's Landing, Riverrun, the Twins, the Eyrie, Dragonstone, Braavos, Mereen, Yunkai, Astapor, Qarth, Volantis, Dorne, the Iron Islands, the Free Cities, Valyria, and the Dothraki Sea.

Lightbringer, Ice, Longclaw, Hearteater, Heartsbane, Dawn, Oathkeeper, and Lion's Tooth.

Finally, GRRM must stick to the original script and reveal Jon's parentage, right? He can't gloss over it. He cannot deny it was his plan all along, can he?

No.

He must reveal that Jon is Eddard's nephew... and Dany's brother.

I suddenly woke last night, with a bran type moment. thinking sansa.

Yes, i am obsessed.

Sansa will marry Jon Snow!

after reading the synopsis and noting Arya different original plot, it came to me that Sansa has replaced much of Arya Original plot, meaning Sansa will marry Jon Snow. I've always been confused as to how she fitted into the end, now it makes sense.

Sansa gets her knight in shining armour, ironically black and right under her nose at the start, and hated by her mother.
Sansa and Jon mirrors Rhaegar and lyanna.
Sansa is similar in looks to ygritte.

They will probably end up in Winterfell and then one of them probably dies, bittersweet ending for the starks.

What does everyone else think?

Back