A Civil Campaign by Lois McMaster Bujold

Vertigo

Mad Mountain Man
Supporter
Well I was warned so I can’t really complain. A Civil Campaign is first and foremost a Romance and only a distant second a Science Fiction book. It is a romance with some (slight) plot rather than a plot with some romance, and I am sadly not too keen on such sugary romance (it is too much like implausible fantasy for me).This is really my only major complaint about this book and I am fully aware that that is a little unfair; it is more to do with my personal preferences than with any flaw in Bujold’s writing.

In fact, in all fairness, Bujold’s writing in this book is very good; it is engaging and flows along effortlessly; she is without doubt a very accomplished wordsmith. My usual complaints about her plot holes and implausible motivations and situations are not really relevant here as, outside of the romance, there really isn’t enough to find holes in.

I don’t mind some romance in my stories; I just don’t want that to be all there is. But that’s just me, if you like romances then this will give you a great light read, if not I’d advise staying away.

Back