Trying to make a friends day; man wakes up in the future...

montag451

Hey everyone!

I just found out my friend has been desperately searching for a book he says "helped him grow up" but he only remembers vague details about the book. I'd love to find the title for him.... it will make his day.

Here we go... these are the vague details of the book:

A man, living a normal life, one day wakes up millions of years in future. Humans have evolved tremendously. They are flying around, and they are completely hairless, and appear sexless, but actually have the ability to control their sex and change back and forth from male to female when they want to. There's a river that seems to be rather important. Eventually, the man goes into river and dissolves or de-atomizes and travels in the river for millennia, until finally all of his atoms wash up on the same beach and he somehow puts himself back together and walks off and talks to people again. He may or may not eventually return home.

Yeah. Pretty vague, I know. ;)
Does this sound remotely familiar to anyone?

Fingers are crossed!

The changing sex aspect is vaguely like Ursula K Le Guin's "The Left Hand of Darkness." But none of the other stuff seems to match.
--Paul E Musselman

Hmmm...sounds a bit like Son of Man by Robert Silverberg - certainly the bit about being thrust into the far future and ability to swap sex. The rest I'm not sure of but its many years since I read it.