Fantasy novel I read back in the fifties - need help

Silva

I have been searching in vain for this novel for years. Vague memories: Paperback, thick, about a family (searching, lost, transported?) I remember the father and son sighted a girl in the forest who had no arms, but instead had wings. The father explained that you cannot touch a butterfly wing and disturb the dust on it. Somehow people were being changed so that animal or insect features were incorporated in a sinister fashion. I remember a dome with glass or crystal ceiling, and I want to say that a giant turbine or mention of Tesla was involved. I think the family might have been from the future, because I believe the mother taught the children to use thread as dental floss. Any help would be most appreciated!

I have been searching in vain for this novel for years. Vague memories: Paperback, thick, about a family (searching, lost, transported?) I remember the father and son sighted a girl in the forest who had no arms, but instead had wings. The father explained that you cannot touch a butterfly wing and disturb the dust on it. Somehow people were being changed so that animal or insect features were incorporated in a sinister fashion. I remember a dome with glass or crystal ceiling, and I want to say that a giant turbine or mention of Tesla was involved. I think the family might have been from the future, because I believe the mother taught the children to use thread as dental floss. Any help would be most appreciated!

Silva,

A similar book came up in a search thread on the site "Smart Bitches, Trashy Books" and someone suggested it might be Wildwood by John Farris.
You can find the other search at the website Smart Bitches Trashy Books, search for "girl has butterfly wings". (I'd do a link but this is my first post, and I can't link unless I've had 15 posts.)

Is this your book?
Andrea22