The Boy With Jewels In His Eyes - Opening V2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Jones

Der Vater absurder Geschichten
Supporter
I posted an earlier version of this first chapter a month or so ago. It's undergone quite a few changes, and here is what I'm probably going to settle on for my final version (draft 6.1). I won't be looking to undergo wholesale changes now, just the odd tweak here and there.

Any feedback would be again really useful, especially from those who saw the original version and quite rightly criticised it for being a trifle stiff and lacking in conflict; hopefully that's been addressed.

Chapter 1 - The Bringer of Light and Heat

‘It is a peculiar thing that somebody who has possessed such great privilege and honour for so many years should become suddenly so crazed that he turns upon, and even seeks to undermine, the one who gave him those things.’ The Executor Liberestes drummed his fingers slowly upon the burnished arm of his chair, the Seat of Execution. ‘Yet that is exactly what we have here.’

Liberestes stood up, making sure to keep his face devoid of emotion and his movements small, efficient, and reptilian. Despite the biting autumnal wind outside, the Lord’s Hall was uncomfortably hot. The huge stone hearth, eight feet square, blazed away with arrogant vigour. He looked upon the stricken civil servant Pycloss, the man who had been brought before him, kneeling, panting and sweating pathetically. The two soldiers standing behind Pycloss were Oleander Byle and Barthemel Phylander, respectively a Captain and the High Captain of the Forty Nine, the city’s elite unit of soldiers and Liberestes’s effective personal bodyguards. They had already softened Pycloss with a bloody beating and, upon giving him the slightest of nods, Byle grabbed Pycloss by the shoulder and squeezed hard, making him cry out.

‘Do you deny, Pycloss, that you have been spreading baseless rumour about me, and seeking to undermine my rule?’

Pycloss raised his head to look the Executor in the eye, and managed to force a grin through his broken mouth. ‘I do deny it, Executor,’ Pycloss gurgled. ‘I do deny that I have been spreading baseless rumour, for we both know it to be the irrefutable truth.’

Liberestes allowed himself a silent chuckle at the old man’s balls. ‘Enlighten me.’

‘This great city is killing itself, Liberestes, thanks to you. Our people – the citizens who were born here, raised here, who work here – they struggle to feed and clothe themselves. And why? Because you admit foreigners to the city by the thousand. They are so many of them, and they come from all parts. The city was not built to house and feed so many.’

Liberestes put his hand upon his chest in mock-affliction. ‘But this is policy, Pycloss. No, in fact I go further: this is charity. You know this. These people come here, destitute, in need of help, and you seek to turn them away? How very ignoble of you!’

‘Some of them are strange, Executor. Some of them are… different. Not the type of people we should admit to the city. Look to your own people, Executor. Believe me, I only wish to help…’

Another nod. Byle crashed a gauntleted hand across the back of Pycloss’s head, squirting a little blood upon the floor. Liberestes emitted a barely suppressed growl at the odious little man. ‘You wish to help? You wish to help by supplanting me?’

Pycloss spat a tooth onto the sandy floor. ‘Look what you have become.’ Pycloss glanced at the raging hearthfire and eyed Liberestes with disgust. ‘Look at that. Eight feet high it burns, while they struggle to heat their own homes because what precious little wood they own is stolen by beggarmen from different countries, while the rest is carted to Kirna to fuel Dyždyk’s mines.’ He inched his face ever closer to the Executor’s. ‘I know what you are, Liberestes. You are a puppet!’

The two men glared at one another for a few seconds, before Liberestes broke the stare and slowly returned to his seat.

‘The city is mine. No one else’s. There is more than enough fuel in this city, if people have enough ingenuity to source it.’ He gestured to Byle with a flick of the wrist. The huge soldier, sweat beading down his round, bald head, kicked Pycloss between the shoulder blades and, when the old man hit the ground, produced a short axe from his belt. It was swiftly brought down upon Pycloss’s forearm. As shrieks echoed through the Lord’s Hall, Byle collected the hand and tossed it upon the fire, where the blood crackled and spat.

Liberestes did not move a muscle as Pycloss writhed and bled. ‘There is more than enough food in this city, if people have the stomach for it. Barthemel; have Pycloss butchered. Give him to one of the meat traders in Ells Market. Tell them it is a gift from their Executor. Surplus from our larder.’

‘Immediately, it will be done.’

‘Barthemel, before you do so…’ Liberestes beckoned forth the High Captain, who knelt before him as commanded. Unlike Byle, Barthemel was wearing his helmet even in this heat: tall, indigo and decorated by four golden wings, which Liberestes always thought made him look like a strange, carnivorous moth. He stroked the soldier’s cheek and studied his handsome face as he spoke. ‘I remember when I first sat in this bloodied seat thirty years ago, Pycloss. Your loyalty was quickly bought then, and now it has been easily lost. Look at Barthemel. This is what loyalty looks like: unwavering, absolute, uncorrupted.’

‘Do you think Dyždyk will show you loyalty,’ Pycloss said with a wheezed and shaking voice, as his flesh turned paler each second, ‘when it no longer suits him?’

That bit too deep. ‘Take this creature from my sight.’

After Pycloss had been dragged from the Lord’s Hall, Liberestes breathed out slowly and stared at the claret pool on the floor. The treacherous Pycloss had the right of it; more people streamed into the city each day. Most came from Kirna, where Dyždyk was the ruling Prince, but this talk of strangeness and difference was little more than the petty fear and ignorance of an old man for whom the city had changed too fast. The Prince’s intervention and offer of help only months ago was as unexpected as it was generous; now the embrace of charity felt like the slow squeeze of a boa, and the few hundred people who had initially required rehousing had indeed swollen to untold numbers; when would this end?

Hi DG. Fr me this one is much better. If I remember rightly, the comments on your last version were largely to do with your POV being bored, and so installing boredom in the reader. This version still retains the sense of boredom in Liberestes, in the sense that he is the king and doesn't want to be told what to do and won't listen, which is the right sense to have for his character I think. And you've addressed the lack of conflict and action very well.

Overall there aren't any large gripes I have with the piece, a few instances of info dump that might need addressing, the 2nd paragraph, has a lot of introduction and was a little confusing, perhaps that cold be spread out over the chapter, or as the characters become active.

Another thought, Pycloss with his hand chopped off might not be so coherent as to have another dig at loyalties of others, Im pretty sure I wouldn't, so maybe you could shift that finally sentence of his up as another catalyst. This also helps to address the fact that I felt Liberestes was a tad harsh, as I got the impression that maybe they were old friends/acquaintances, but I'm prepared to believe that is a loose cannon character trait if it was maintained.

One thing you do have to be careful with in instances like this is to not go too far with your crazed character. If you start killing everyone in a whim then you will quickly loose the possibility of forgiveness and empathy from the reader. There has to be a reason to be evil, otherwise they aren't worth investing in... But that's just a general caution, I'm sure you've done him well enough.

Nice work.

Well, their discussion certainly has the advantage of topicality ...

I agree that this is much better. No trace of boredom here. And I liked the way that you have the character whose actions seem evil arguing (with apparent sincerity) in favour of charity. You've made him a complex character, and that makes him interesting, and that makes us read on. For example, you tell us he keeps his movements reptilian -- you make it a conscious decision. So how much of his persona here is an act? Again, I'd keep reading to find out.

Otherwise, just a couple of comments on the opening. Your first sentence is long and unwieldy and I fear might put some readers off. When browsing in a bookshop, I do sometimes reject a book on the basis of its first line -- not something I'm proud of, but it happens.

And I would think about starting the second paragraph with "He" and not his name. This might sound trivial, but if the character's name is used twice in a row, and there can be no doubt that the "action character" hasn't changed, it can be confusing. Here, it made me think for a moment that the speaker in the first paragraph had not been Liberestes after all, and that the line "The Executor Liberestes drummed his fingers slowly upon the burnished arm of his chair, the Seat of Execution" was something the (unidentified) speaker had noticed Liberestes doing. I hope that makes sense.

We're still missing something of the character experience in this. Liberestes doesn't really feel anything until the end of the chapter - as a POV character, we really need to see and and experience something of his emotions and inner motivations directly, and from the start, rather than through speech.

We don't need great detail, but certainly something to justify why that character is the POV for the scene.

There also remains a big sense that this scene exists to provide background for the reader, rather than the character experience, and you keeping stopping the narrative to explain things for the reader - for example, explaining who the guards are and their full names, and later, the details of their armour.

The dialogue underlines this, and the line "Enlighten me." simply serves a a prompt for "explain things to the reader", which constricts the story.

The result is that - for me - the text is still too much of "expanded background notes to the story" rather than "the story itself".

Because this scene's content was focused on tormenting someone, I was minded of the Glotka scenes in Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy. For example, click here, then go to the scene in the index named "Questions":
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blade-Itself-First-Law-Book-ebook/dp/B002VHI8FE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1421574563&sr=8-4&keywords=before they are hanged#reader_B002VHI8FE

At no point does Abercrombie use the confrontation between Glotka and Rews to provide background information on the city and its political situation. Additionally, this character is a torturer - hardly someone a reader can be expected to empathise or sympathise with - and yet Abercrombie does a great job of trying to encourage both by showing his deep physical pain, and the struggle to do something ordinary, such as move down a set of steps.

In other words - the scene is about the character, not about the world. I mention it simply as an example, in case of help as a reference.

Still - a big improvement on making the character feel bored!

Cheers guys, confirming what I thought. I need a couple of final tweaks and I think I'll be happy with it. Thanks to everyone for their comments, it's amazing how eye-opening they have been.

I am a little flabbergasted at the constant Abercrombie comparisons I'm getting (even if it's in terms of tone and setting, not quality) as I've never read a Joe Abercrombie book in my life! Might have to start. Thanks for the First Law reference, Brian, I'll check it out.

@HareBrain yes it has become rather topical hasn't it? I promise it wasn't when I started it 4 years ago! Still, maybe a good time to publish :)
#cynical

I can't remember if I waded in on the first version or not, but I didn't have too many problems with the section you've given us here. The opening line was too long, and because it was so convoluted, a little off putting. However, first lines are a killer to get right and mine don't ever appear fully formed either, so don't stress it too much.

There was too much back story and unnecessary detail here (for me anyway), but this is a balance of style too. I did like a lot of your use of description here, so it's just finding that balance while still keeping your writing voice (a voice which shows great promise). I've seen many books that don't bother with too much backstory in an opening and get right to the story, a preference of mine too. Let the reader catch up as they read is my view, but it's your choice and this time, I didn't have major concerns style wise.

Some dialogue felt overworked and I think this is because the dialogue was carrying information for the reader instead of what someone would say in that situation. A little unnatural for that. A well done stilted dialogue to give you your due, but not quite doing it for me. Over used names in places DG Jones, would someone keep using someone's name when talking to them DG Jones? I loved the main character and their distain mixed with boredom, keep that going.

So for me, a little too dense and wordy, and info dumpy in places. However, I still liked the main character and as I said, your use of description. You're finding your writing feet here and I think your getting close to a working style that will be all yours. Keep at it.

Lastly, "Best Served Cold" for Joe, he's best I think. Joe is a good fun read who uses description and dialogue well, so worth a look. Try Shogun too, that is a very good read and deals with character POV very well indeed.

I can't remember if I waded in on the first version or not, but I didn't have too many problems with the section you've given us here. The opening line was too long, and because it was so convoluted, a little off putting. However, first lines are a killer to get right and mine don't ever appear fully formed either, so don't stress it too much.

There was too much back story and unnecessary detail here (for me anyway), but this is a balance of style too. I did like a lot of your use of description here, so it's just finding that balance while still keeping your writing voice (a voice which shows great promise). I've seen many books that don't bother with too much backstory in an opening and get right to the story, a preference of mine too. Let the reader catch up as they read is my view, but it's your choice and this time, I didn't have major concerns style wise.

Some dialogue felt overworked and I think this is because the dialogue was carrying information for the reader instead of what someone would say in that situation. A little unnatural for that. A well done stilted dialogue to give you your due, but not quite doing it for me. Over used names in places DG Jones, would someone keep using someone's name when talking to them DG Jones? I loved the main character and their distain mixed with boredom, keep that going.

So for me, a little too dense and wordy, and info dumpy in places. However, I still liked the main character and as I said, your use of description. You're finding your writing feet here and I think your getting close to a working style that will be all yours. Keep at it.

Lastly, "Best Served Cold" for Joe, he's best I think. Joe is a good fun read who uses description and dialogue well, so worth a look. Try Shogun too, that is a very good read and deals with character POV very well indeed.

Hey Bowler (sounds like a west African disease if said too quickly),

Thanks for the feedback; your notes here have echoed almost exactly my beta reader's feedback; his thoughts were that Chapter 1 was arguably the weakest, and the reason for that was it was about 20% too long - too much info given away. Your feedback kinda leads toward the same conclusion I think, so I'll be stripping it down, streamlining and then I think I'll be there, because as you say, the voice is pretty much there. Then one more read through and I think it'll be ready.

Thanks everyone, extremely helpful :)

Status
Not open for further replies.