Acorns - help with description

Jo Zebedee

Aliens vs Belfast.
Supporter
Hi, I have a necklace's pendant that's in the shape of an acorn. I have the character holding it so it digs into her hand. I'm wondering if there is a recognisable name for the bit of the acorn that's raised, where the hat sits over the nut. I'm not even sure that makes sense, but, you know the ring around the top of the acorn.

Um... anyone?

Not sure what you're after, exactly.

The 'corky' cup it's held in is the cupule (I always think cup) - it has a stalk. The pointy bit at the bottom end of the acorn (other end) is the style.

The line between the cupule and the style is what I wanted to describe - as I'm imagining it as a raised line on the pendant. But I don't want to use the botanical terms because no one is going to know them, but rather a colloquial term. At the moment I have it that the detail of the pendant is digging in, which might suffice, but I'd love something a little more interesting.

The lip/rim of the acorn's cup, or something?

How colloquial do you want to go? I believe in north-eastern Lincolnshire it's called a scozznazajit.

I was thinking it needs to be cast in a two part mould and that's where the mould would join. Of course an expensive charm or pendant would be handfinished, but a cheap plated one will have a quite sharp "flash" where metal seeped due to slight mismatch of the parts of the mould. It's seen on cheap cast figurines etc.

That's only if the cupule is at the top. Otherwise it's the little coracle in which the acorn sits.

Of course, if the orientation of the acorn isn't clear, just describe it as a dual-purpose hat/coracle. That should make things perfectly clear (and might even inspire an inventor).

I shall sweep in with some hard-won advice (Juliana is on the money!)

"X held the acorn pendant so tightly it dug into her hand."

This is all you will need. The description and orientation of the acorn parts, the shape of the weal, all of these are irrelevant UNLESS:

*At some part of the story it is relevant that the top of the acorn stuck into her hand rather than the bottom. (Poison? Magic?)
* At some part of the story it is relevant that the circular weal pattern/mark on her hand is part of the plot (it opens the magic door?)

Otherwise you may fall into Grandpa Simpson territory with your worldbuilding (In the Simpsons, he goes on and on with irrrelevancies when telling a story!!)