Ex Machina

Rodders

|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|
Supporter
I've enjoyed Alex Garland's other SF works, so I've been looking forward to this and now that it's being advertised on the TV i wondered if any other members of the Chrons were interested in it.

The subject matter looks similar to Chappie.

Sure, I'm a sucker for anything SF and especially the more existentialist, low-to-medium-budget SF films. However I like to watch a film knowing as little about it as possible and I tend to avoid trailers like the plague, so I don't know much about the film yet (although I had to sit through one of the trailers at the cinema once).

I already have my ticket for a preview screening on the 19th with Alex Garland and Domhnall Gleeson in attendance. I'm really looking forward to it and to discussing the movie here afterwards with fellow... Chroners?

I thought Ex-Machina was pretty good. A second viewing might make it great. That does not mean that it is the kind of movie you need to watch twice to appreciate - it is anything but - but going back in knowing what to expect might help overlook its rougher edges. It did feel like what it actually is - the directorial debut of an accomplished screenwriter.

The script is solid and well-balanced, often absorbing and sometimes even funny. The performances are good across the board, especially that of Oscar Isaac's, who did not have it easy but made his character work. The film alternates between moments of very efficient, cost-cutting mise-en-scene (the entire premise is expedited through a 20-second wordless scene right after the title cards), and a more unpolished aspect at other times.

Ex-Machina revels in letting its characters breathe and interact with each other, without a care in the world for big useless words such as "reassuring", "expected", or "structure". It breezes through its scenes, but feels like it allows each and every one of them enough time to make their mark. Not all of them are handled well however, especially in the later stages of the film, and the score and sound design felt heavy-handed at times.

Overall the movie might have benefited from having a more experienced filmmaker at the helm, but it is definitely its own thing, which is the best thing I can say about a movie in these dark times of franchises, sequels and reboots.

Thanks for summing it up. I'm looking forward to seeing it and may take the time out next week.

Just watched this on disc. Very well done. Extremely thought-provoking.

The message I got, which is the same one I'm getting from the AMC/BBC Humans series, is that AI beings indistinguishable from their human creators will want, more than anything else, to be recognized as equals. With that recognition should come freedom and all the other rights and privileges that go with being human.

The message we so often get with these type of productions is that, because AIs will know that they are superior to humans, they will eventually seek to replace us. I don't see this as a logical progression. AIs might be forced to take such a route if their creators fail to see their worth or worse, attempt to destroy them.

That puts the onus on us.

Picked it up last week and i hope to watch it sometime over the weekend.