Theory on Mance and the horn of winter

Narkalui

Nerf Herder
I may not have remembered this correctly, and if anyone else has voiced this theory already my apologies:

I seem to remember reading that in order to find the horn of winter Mance had the Wildlings mining into a glacier. I've got a sneaking suspicion that in doing so it was them that released the Others from imprisonment in this glacier, put there by the first hero....

Any thoughts?

I would not put my money on that. More or less, Mance persuaded the people to join him because he told them they would die unless they left the place and their only actual threats are the Others. He had set them to mining afterwards. Besides, Craster was sacrificing his sons for a long long time to the Others so they had to have been around all along.

Oh yeah Craster..... Hang on, but... Do you not think it at least feasible that maybe to begin with Craster was sacrificing his sons as part of some ancient Other worshipping ritual wherein they just died of exposure and it's only recently that the Others are actually taking them......... ?

If it were so, there would be some sign of it. Children bones littering the ground or graves of them, but women there knew what was happening and knew what the sons were given for. Others were likely simply biding their time, waiting for the Winter and return of magic.

If it were so, there would be some sign of it. Children bones littering the ground or graves of them, but women there knew what was happening and knew what the sons were given for. Others were likely simply biding their time, waiting for the Winter and return of magic.

Meh. There goes there goes the one and only theory I've ever managed to come up with by myself.

Yes you are quite correct, there would be remains present and plenty of them to the extent that Jon or Sam POV in COK would have mentioned it. Bugger.

Narkalui, Welcome to the GRRM forum. Keep the ideas coming. Don't worry about it. I've had most of my ideas blasted from the get go. I've posted new theories only to have TK-421 or some one else point out the fact that the theory was posted three years prior... and that I'd even commented on it!

From Mance's, Tormund's and Ygritte's conversations with Jon, I'm convinced that Mance started digging for the Horn in response to pressure from the Others. They could be lying, but I think not.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're right. With my 'theory' out of the way it's the only explanation left short of something really silly.

Narkalui, Welcome to the GRRM forum. Keep the ideas coming. Don't worry about it. I've had most of my ideas blasted from the get go. I've posted new theories only to have TK-421 or some one else point out the fact that the theory was posted three years prior... and that I'd even commented on it!

From Mance's, Tormund's and Ygritte's conversations with Jon, I'm convinced that Mance started digging for the Horn in response to pressure from the Others. They could be lying, but I think not.

We all had our theories blasted. And thus, we return the favour. XD

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're right. With my 'theory' out of the way it's the only explanation left short of something really silly.

The great thing about theories in ASOIAF is that you can always make a new one someone will find interesting although they are usually rather cracky.

Welcome aboard. Don't worry. I had a few of crackpot theories of my own, a few years ago. Compared to some of my own, yours is quite tame and likely true.

See for yourself, because about half of the links in this post are absolutely crackpot:

Not so important connections

Also these two, no three, no half a dozen :D:

Not so important connections2

http://www.sffchronicles.com/threads/11425/

http://www.sffchronicles.com/threads/528491/

http://www.sffchronicles.com/threads/527598/

http://www.sffchronicles.com/posts/1141885/

I hope you'll have fun on these forums.

Last edited:

Actually...it's been suggested elsewhere on these forums that there may be one or more ice dragons about. If Mance has been digging, it wouldn't be impossible to imagine something being let loose...

So you may be onto something that comes up in the story after all. :)

Brian's correct. There are three theories, of which I'm aware, that involve hidden dragons. First, there's a dragon under Winterfell. Then there's the dragon frozen in The Wall. And finally, there's at least one dragon (maybe more) buried inside Dragonstone. Personally, I'm not sold on any of them... but the dragon under Winterfell has some strong arguments.

I've heard the Dragon Under Winterfell theory and the Dragon In The Wall theory and I'm not a fan. However an ice dragon fluttering about IN the land of eternal winter I could buy into. Although I've still not read The Ice Dragon (1980) I'm sort of aware of the important details, and in ASOIAF there been a few references to Ice Dragons and the unwritten rule with stuff like this is: if there's enough smoke generally there's a fire.

On the other hand GRRM could just be screwing with us. He likes to do that....

I wouldn't say he's messing with us... I'd say he's doing his best to create misdirections so the ending will be a surprise.

Welcome Narkalui.

With GRRM it is so hard to tell. Ice dragons could be a red herring, or foreshadowing, or just some in-world mythology. What we can be %100 sure about is that whatever happens, it will be awesome.

I can' imagine it will be all that much longer. But I have heard that whenever anyone complains he kills a Stark...

Narkalui, your last comment reminded me of It's A Wonderful Life. Every time a bell rings, an angel gets his wings.

Every time a critic barks, George Martin kills some Starks.

Arsten, I beg to differ.

SPOILER ALERT
for something the HBO show (season four) has revealed, but the books have not... but some people posted the theory years ago.

Also... I need to just say SPOILER ALERT for the THE SPOILER of AGOT... oh, and ASOS. If you don't wanna know, click the back button.

You'll have to highlight the next section if you want the spoilers.

Okay, so in five books, four Starks have died: Eddard, Robb, Catelyn and Benjen. Five Starks have not died: Sansa, Arya, Bran, Rickon and Jeyne Westerling Stark. Two have come back from the dead: Catelyn and Benjen.

By the way, there might be a Stark born soon. Oh yeah, there's also a fake Stark.

By my reckoning, GRRM still has enough Starks for at least five more books... probably six.