Rise of the Guardians

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
I didn't know anything about this film, other than my eldest wanted it for Christmas. There are some duff animated films out there, and I figured this would be one of them.

I was very pleasantly surprised - this was a great film! A grand adventure with a wonderful sense of humour - definitely one I'll want to watch again.

Pleasantly surprised seems to be a really common reaction to this one and I'm definitely including myself in that list. Chris Pine was great as the voice of Jack Frost but but more than that there was just something about the way they animated his movement, staff and floating/flight that all came together (with a bit of back story) and just really worked. Unfortunately its looking less and less likely that there will be a sequel anytime soon.

Just watched this again, and it's still very enjoyable. :)

What really surprises me is that according to Wikipedia, despite grossing $300+ million, over twice it's budget, somehow Dreamworks took an $83 million write down - and laid off 350 employess to restructuring - which they blamed on this film. Surely a case of creative accounting to turn a $160 million profit into a loss??

I have to agree, there are many not so good animated films out there and I also am not a big fan of dreamworks, however I do really like this film. I think it's the mixture of childish innocence and adult knowledge. It's a staple in our house along with a couple of classics.

Back