DISCUSSION -- January 2015 75 Word Writing Challenge

chrispenycate -- With a gift for intricate language, the author offers the reader insight into an archtypical character.

Chris – For me a hard story to get to grips with, possibly because it feels as though a lot of it had to be purged in the editing process. As always from this writer, we are given a lot to think about, coming at the challenge from a different angle but with the underlying message that sometime, no matter how hard things might seem, the end is worth the journey.

Ah, another descent into incomprehensibility - not my first. You write the story, you know what is going on, it's too long, bits are cut off, still too much - and you go on knowing while essential information is eliminate.

Thank you very much for the comments.

Thanks so much Perp and Victoria for the reviews, must say I slacked a lot regarding the reviews. But work, and writing in free time, and reading in my free times, free time is making it hard. Reading all entries and it looks great. Gonna be a tough one!

I don't think I'm going to be able to enter this month. I've got so much going on right now that I just haven't had the time to write. I'll definitely try to find the time to vote, though.

Sorry to hear that Talysia, but I'm sure we are all aware how life can suddenly get in the way of things! Hopefully there will be more time next month!

Parson
- A story of true love that someone with a sweet tooth (like me) could really, really appreciate. Who has truly not been caught between the charms of two different cakes? It is probably one of the hardest choices to make, especially when one is trying to be good. I’m afraid I would have failed and had both. Excellently told, it made me wonder where the story was going until the payoff, which was just sweet. Anyhoo, must dash I’m off to the bakers.

Ursa - Another excellent tale that not only touches on the prospect of aging beauty, but also on the cleverness of inflection and meaning. Trapped by a question that just has to be answered - and honestly at that - a magic mirror comes up with an answer that sums up everything, love for another, acceptance of age and is above all else honest. Clever word usage, but then this is Ursa...

mosaix - Cheekily posting his story while I'm writing comments on Ursa's is not allowed ;)

Phew! Finally posted. Up until early yesterday my mind was a complete blank for this month's 75 worder.

Now I realise that my mind is a complete blank for this month's 300 worder! :eek:

mosaix - here we are offered a story that has the combination of being both strangely real and humorous too. In many ways it is a perfect setup giving the reader immediate grasp of the situation and what is going on by use of the medium of a letter/e-mail, while conveying the sense of the preposterous - a woman getting in touch with a criminal in search of a relationship but hey, it happens.

jastius - What is it with you guys? Are you waiting for me to post a comment then sneaking your story in as I do???? :D ;)

jastius - Sometimes some of the 75 worders suffer from the brevity words allowed, or more realistically the idiot writing the comments sees something totally different to what is intended and blathers on cleverly, barking up the totally wrong tree.... so in this instance we have what appears to be a traditional love triangle. The clever use of names playing a good part in the misdirection that pays of as true love is rewarded in a modern way.

sneaks in to say thankyou for the review.. :D

it was cut quite a bit.. perp, clever of you to catch that.. *
thankyou for the lovely review that makes me look all clever!

*had to eliminate the bits about the two mad fairies and the cat knight defender in the wild desolations... maybe i can recycle that for the three hundred... cause the wizard war thing is blarging out a bit.

Perp -- Thanks for the review. And yes it was written true to life. The bakery may be the death of me.

A story came to me on day one, and I thought I loved him, I really did, and I nearly posted there and then. Just as well I didn't -- post in haste and repent at leisure, isn't that what they say? As the month drew on, I came to see he was trite, commonplace and more than a little boring. Worse, he was well overweight in the words department, and getting him down to size for walking down the Challenge aisle would leave him, well, emasculated, which didn't bode well for future happiness when it came to making votes. But I wasn't sure I could do any better. I thought I would have to go through with it, with him, after all.

Then, just as I was despairing, another story came along and winked at me. A tall story with a GSOH. I was smitten. I hope we'll be very happy together.

Dusty -- I didn't really see a double entendre did I?

I had four on my short-short list and loads on my longer list:

Will wallace, which I loved from the start
Alchemist, again (stop writing such good entries) which made me laugh
Luighlin, with Minion's hand proving to be expressive in the extreme again
And Ursa's, which is the one that I loved most and voted for. :)

Back