DISCUSSION -- January 2015 300-word Writing Challenge (#16)

Gosh, all crikey. I certainly didn't expect this. Thanks everybody, and most aged yet wise and prophetic thanks to Ursa and Teresa for the votes. I'm particularly delighted to win against such strong competition as this quarter provided, and congrats to Moonbat and willwallace for a tremendous fight.

Victoria, I'm glad you used the word "strange" because that was something I felt about your story, and actually I do think it was poetic, as many of your pieces are, but with a kind of dry poeticism if that makes sense, not lush and overgrown, but restrained and cerebral.

If anyone is interested in the origins of my story, though I loved the image I had absolutely no idea what to write and was badgering the Judicial Helpmeet for thoughts yet again, and he said the sculpture looked like a speaker of some kind with those holes in it, but I couldn't get anywhere with that. Then on the Saturday morning as we set off shopping the phrase "Old man Yew" came to me, so I was traipsing round the fruit and veg aisles pondering ideas about an aged tree in a forest (which is where the "Older than the birch, younger than the mangrove" came from, which I liked enough to keep), but that went nowhere as well. But as I was repeating "Old man Yew" to myself as I liked the line, it transmuted into "Old man Yu" and I had an image of a Chinese village, and at the same time the idea of people saying one thing but meaning another, and when I finally began writing the speaker idea came back. The title was the last thing to come, but I like a good pun now and then.

Re Cascade's piece, the short story it reminded me of involved a man (a university professor, I think) waking up one day as a cow and his desperation as he tried to communicate with the men around him, but he couldn't speak of course, only moo. He's driven into the slaughter house and getting panicky, then realises he can still write, and with one hoof, writing upside down so it can be read by the slaughterman waiting for him, he writes his name/profession, then walks forward, knowing he'll be recognised and helped. The scene cuts to a couple of slaughtermen talking, and one saying he had another of them odd steers doing a fancy dance in front of him -- the slaughterman can't read...

Congratulations TJ! What a wonderful story! And congratulations Moonbat and willwallace and Cascade and Juliana...and everyone! This challenge was packed with terrific stories from top to bottom; we really are an amazing bunch! :)

Thank you, Harebrain, for the inspiring photo--I think you mentioned there would be a story to tell about the origins of the photo, once the challenge was done..? :)

Thank you kindly to TDZ and Starbeast and farntfar and UM for the mentions! And TJ, thank you so much for the listing and the kind words about my story!!!

Send it to any of the mods, Kerry. That might help avoid the following: in a couple of weeks someone will say "We need a picture for April's 300 worder..." and then two weeks after that someone else will ask "Any ideas yet?" and then 10 days after that we start panicking and rootling around our picture archive...

I'd be surprised if most of you didn't know what my title and last line were, respectively, alluding and referring to, i.e. the painting Arrangement in Grey and Black No.1 (aka Whistler's Mother) by James McNeill Whistler. What you may not have realised is that when I posted the story, I hadn't really noticed (except, possibly, subconsciously) that the story was almost** about an arrangement, meaning that the title was more... er... meaningful than was originally intended.

The thought of mentioning Whistler came straight after I realised that the sculpture looked like a strange whistle; the need for its player to have tentacles came from the number and shape of the holes, and provided me a seemingly monstrous character without me having to think much about it. And then the rest fell into place as a tragedy: the monster killed when it was innocent (in the sense that it was an infant with no idea that it was doing wrong); the people defending themselves in the only way possible, a way that led to unforeseen consequences; the people sacrificing a child, because it was the only way they might live (and the child was not to be killed, but "merely" provided as a substitute to the grieving mother*** for infant they'd caused to be destroyed).

** - Not quite an agreement, as it was more a consequence of previous actions than something openly agreed to, which is why I'm not beating myself up about originally missing the connection.

*** - I was not unaware of Beowulf, but was more influenced by Gorgo and its Mother. (I had one issue of the comic in the sixties. I didn't see the film until decades later, when the (possibly X-rated?) film was shown at teatime on, I think, BBC2.

Congrats to The Judge!

Thanks to Culhwch for my third vote, and thanks to everyone else who short-listed/mentioned me :)

Congratulations, TJ!

Thank you, Harebrain, for the inspiring photo--I think you mentioned there would be a story to tell about the origins of the photo, once the challenge was done..?

Not sure if this qualifies as a story -- and it certainly isn't as interesting as the entries -- but the sculpture is by Walter Bailey, and is located at a site called Kingley Vale near where I live, which is famed for its yew forest (the most extensive in Europe, I think) and was the UK's first National Nature Reserve.

The sculpture is called "The Spirit of Kingley Vale" and was carved from a single piece of yew wood from a tree felled in the great storm of 1987, which brought down many mature trees round here.

This is what Walter Bailey says about the sculpture:

In the carving I sought to celebrate the ancient trees and the many generations of people who have passed through Kingley Vale, each carrying away with them some essence of the mystery which trees engender.

The sculpture surface is deliberately left in a raw state, reflecting the trees' marriage of decay and vitality. I have a deep respect for the longevity of these trees. I have chosen to represent a human figure which radiates from the heart. This echoes the pattern of yew tree growth, as the ancient trees themselves regenerate from their hollow centres by developing new roots from tree branches.

Congratulations Judge A stunning victory. Ooh i just missed out, that is by far the most votes i have ever received for a 300 worder so I'm mighty pleased. I would thank everyone individually but I'm much lazier than starbeast. ;)

No worries Moonbat, catching up with posts can sometimes be time consuming. But anyways, we all still enjoy your company very much.

If anyone is interested in the origins of my story, though I loved the image I had absolutely no idea what to write and was badgering the Judicial Helpmeet for thoughts yet again, and he said the sculpture looked like a speaker of some kind with those holes in it, but I couldn't get anywhere with that. Then on the Saturday morning as we set off shopping the phrase "Old man Yew" came to me, so I was traipsing round the fruit and veg aisles pondering ideas about an aged tree in a forest (which is where the "Older than the birch, younger than the mangrove" came from, which I liked enough to keep), but that went nowhere as well. But as I was repeating "Old man Yew" to myself as I liked the line, it transmuted into "Old man Yu" and I had an image of a Chinese village, and at the same time the idea of people saying one thing but meaning another, and when I finally began writing the speaker idea came back. The title was the last thing to come, but I like a good pun now and then.

Good morning Judge.

I enjoy when members talk about their inspirations for their stories. I like to hear about the background work and info that lead to the creation of their fine entries.

Congratulations TJ! What a wonderful story! And congratulations Moonbat and willwallace and Cascade and Juliana...and everyone! This challenge was packed with terrific stories from top to bottom; we really are an amazing bunch! :)

Thank you, Harebrain, for the inspiring photo--I think you mentioned there would be a story to tell about the origins of the photo, once the challenge was done..? :)

Thank you kindly to TDZ and Starbeast and farntfar and UM for the mentions! And TJ, thank you so much for the listing and the kind words about my story!!!

You're welcome Cat's Cradle. I agree about the photo. It was really something I would never have expected.

Send it to any of the mods, Kerry. That might help avoid the following: in a couple of weeks someone will say "We need a picture for April's 300 worder..." and then two weeks after that someone else will ask "Any ideas yet?" and then 10 days after that we start panicking and rootling around our picture archive...

It's good to know that we can submit a photo for the 300. If I see something unique, I'll send it the mods for review.

Congrats to The Judge!

Thanks to Culhwch for my third vote, and thanks to everyone else who short-listed/mentioned me :)

You're mighty welcome Holland.

Not sure if this qualifies as a story -- and it certainly isn't as interesting as the entries -- but the sculpture is by Walter Bailey, and is located at a site called Kingley Vale near where I live, which is famed for its yew forest (the most extensive in Europe, I think) and was the UK's first National Nature Reserve.

The sculpture is called "The Spirit of Kingley Vale" and was carved from a single piece of yew wood from a tree felled in the great storm of 1987, which brought down many mature trees round here.

This is what Walter Bailey says about the sculpture:

Thank you for the info HareBrain, I was curious about the picture for this month. An excellent piece of art (and WOW, it's near where you live).

Congratulations TJ on a well deserved win.
And well done HB and Walter Bailey. It was a great picture which produced so many magnificent entries.

Nothing to say about my entry which isn't fairly obvious. You may have noticed that the closing image owed some inspiration to the end of Paint it black, by the Stones.

Thank you for the honourable mention, Teresa.

Congrats to nice mister The Judge.

As I mention earlier, I nearly missed this. I looked at the photo and the story just fell onto the page, apropos of nothing bar "feck me I need to get this done".

Kingley? I shall have to go visit it, then.

Re Cascade's piece, the short story it reminded me of involved a man (a university professor, I think) waking up one day as a cow and his desperation as he tried to communicate with the men around him, but he couldn't speak of course, only moo. He's driven into the slaughter house and getting panicky, then realises he can still write, and with one hoof, writing upside down so it can be read by the slaughterman waiting for him, he writes his name/profession, then walks forward, knowing he'll be recognised and helped. The scene cuts to a couple of slaughtermen talking, and one saying he had another of them odd steers doing a fancy dance in front of him -- the slaughterman can't read...

Congratulations The Judge. And thanks for the above.

I was partly inspired by a previous work of fiction but not that one. In fact one that kind of went in the opposite direction.

When I first saw the image, I was struck by the gates in the background. I don't think I was the only one to want to play off the juxtaposition of ancient looking sculpture and mundane everydayness. So my original story had an ancient rite performed by a group of stockbrokers and city traders to further their own ends. They were not hugely sympathetic characters though and so I let the idea sit for a few days with just the image of the dancing Shaman with huge bull horns in my head.

Then I remembered 'Greener Pastures' an Australian comic from the mid 90's about a bull who leaves the farm and goes to University, moves into a share house, gets drunk all the normal university things and figured if my Shaman was going to have bulls horns, maybe he should be a bull. My Story was going to be called 'Greener Pastures' for a little while, but then I figured that made the twist too obvious (at least to anyone who knew 90's Australian comics) and stole my title from Kipling via Billy Bragg.

By the way, I sent Walter Bailey a link to the story thread, and he replied:

Great idea.

Congrats TJ! Way to go. Great job everyone who came close. There were a lot of high vote getters l, so you can all be proud.

Thanks so much Ashleyne for the last day vote. I'm really glad you liked the story enough to keep me from being shut out.

My Story was going to be called 'Greener Pastures' for a little while, but then I figured that made the twist too obvious (at least to anyone who knew 90's Australian comics) and stole my title from Kipling via Billy Bragg.
I meant to ask about the title, as I couldn't make the connection! I've just refreshed my memory of the Kipling, and it fits very well.

It is fascinating to read how all the story ideas grow and change, and how people choose their titles. (And Ursa, I enjoyed the reference to the painting.)

And congratulations again to the eminent lady authoress, The Judge.

Back