Not Quite a Marathon...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ursa major

Bearly Believable
Staff member
Supporter
...which is about 20000m long. But still, a 10,000 and a 5,000 is some sort of milestone. Sadly, it can also be a millstone, because it means not just the production of an ordinary x000th post story (which can, as last time, appear as part of a writing challenge), but something a little longer and more serious.

As inspiration was lacking -- and I need to tidy up the previous Dragooned entries before I move forward on that -- I've resorted to going back to something I wrote quite a while ago and that was in need of a rewrite. I believe progress has been made on that front, mainly because the original was quite poor, in terms of how it was written. I'm sure more progress is possible, so I think I'd better throw its 1030 words open to the rest of you.

Note that one of the characters, Louis, is (under a different name) a refugee from WiP1. The other (who has taken Louis's ship and delivered him to a strange world, where Louis was at first welcomed, then thrown into a cell and roughed up a bit) has always kept herself hidden and seems immune to answering questions that she doesn't like. (Oh, and ulas is a material of immense strength.)

Down and Out

A familiar stench pervaded the cell. She can’t be here. But this couldn’t be a dream, not when his ears were in such pain.

“Are you awake?”

Louis opened his eyes to total darkness; even the emergency lighting was switched off. “What—?” He winced.

“Swallow!”

Though his mouth was dry, his attempts finally did the trick. Something scraped on the floor to his right. “Where are you?”

“Here to help.” The words, barely whispered, were clearly in Pericol’s voice and came from his left. Had she moved, or— “We have very little time. Get down on all fours. You will have to find the exit by touch.”

Resisting the urge to say that he knew exactly where the cell door was, Louis rolled quietly off the bed. “Why not simply turn on the lights?”

“I was unable to disable the security cameras.”

What cameras? More likely, she still wanted to remain unseen. On the other hand, even the doziest of guards would eventually notice that the cell’s lights were out, so there was little point in wasting time arguing.

He groped his way towards the door. A metre or so short, by his estimation, his fingertips brushed against a narrow and curving band, its rough surface much warmer than the floor’s cold stone. Beyond was… nothing. “Is this what I’m looking for?”

“Why have you stopped?” Pericol spoke from somewhere below him. “Do you wish to stay here?”

“I’d rather not plunge down headfirst, thank you. How far is it to the floor below?”

“Hurry.” A typical non-answer.

Louis lowered himself into the round hole until, hanging by his sweating hands, his feet had to be no more than a metre or two above the floor of the room below. His grip failed. After a few moments, during which his body was buffeted by strong air currents – from where? – his fall was broken by thin leafy branches. Somewhere above, the darkness was interrupted by a flash of bright light. He looked up, but saw nothing but stars. Where was the hole? Where was the cell floor?

“Welcome to Phase II,” said Pericol from somewhere ahead of him.

An owl hooted owl close by, making him flinch. This released a leafy branch, which slapped him in the face. The snap of a branch, and a fall of a metre or so, brought him to all-too-solid earth.

Louis took in his surroundings. Directly ahead was a line of trees, illuminated from behind him. The source of the light was a line of lamps, about ten metres from the ground, inset into a matt white surface; they ran into the distance in both directions. The surface belonged to a wall, whose top was shrouded in inky blackness. Along its base, about a metre higher than the ground, ran a dark grey platform that might serve as a road. He climbed up onto it and touched the wall. Its smooth, cold and unbroken surface showed no sign of its construction; more than likely it covered a single sheet of ulas.

His gaze returned to the forest, whose edge seemed as precise as that of the wall, leaving a stretch of open ground of constant width, dotted with bushes, between the trees and the road. His cell had to be somewhere inside the wall. Perhaps those fierce air currents had pushed him clear. At least there might be a simple answer to this mystery. The gods only knew how a hole had appeared in a cell floor made of a single block of stone pierced only by the narrowest of drains.

“What are you doing?” Pericol spoke from the direction of the forest, and was probably lurking behind one of the bushes. “We are not safe here.”

Thoroughly confused, Louis followed the sound of her voice, which seemed to recede as he walked.

“Are you feeling all right?” she asked.

“It’s a bit cold—”

“—sorry, but I have no extra clothing for you—”

“—and I’m completely in the dark. As usual.”

Pericol said nothing.

“So what now?” he asked. “Where’s the shuttle?”

“What do you mean?” She was maintaining her distance, all the while concealing herself within the trees.

“The craft that will take us back to the ship.”

“There is no such vehicle.” So Pericol had entered the cell by the door.

“Then how are we going to escape?”

“We will think of something. I had to free you from the cell before your interrogation began. The people here are not noted for their finesse. You would have been in great danger. And, more importantly, so would the Confederation.”

Louis stopped for a second. The undergrowth had thinned out but away from the wall, and so in increasing gloom, keeping his footing was proving difficult. ‘Why would you care about the Confederation? You’ve spent your career spying on it. And undermining it.”

“Be pleased I take an interest in the development of the Confederation. It is the sole reason I helped you escape.”

“You’ll have to explain.” Not that she would. “Either way, I’m trapped here on this planet. And from what I’ve already been told, the authorities won’t have any difficulty finding out where I am.”

“I am sure they wanted to give you that impression,” said Pericol. “They will have told you how well things were going here before they started to suspect you were not who they thought you were. I think you will find it relatively easy to disappear. The very nature of Phase II makes it hard for them to search openly for you. They must use surrogates. The local police do not expect to have to find new people, for very good reasons. They depend on cradle-to-grave record keeping. To catch you, they will have to be a bit more inventive than usual. They will need initiative. This is not something I usually associate with the Amratian police.”

“What have the shortcomings of the Amratian police got to do with anything? This is Phase II.”

She moved further into the trees. “We ought to get going. We have a long way to travel before we reach somewhere where you can clean yourself up and obtain more appropriate clothing.”

Last edited:
Congrats on the 15,000! I'm disappointed at no Dragooned, but it was good to see another of your pieces.

I've no time today for a proper crit, but I've had a quick read and although it was a tad confusing**, I enjoyed it, and I'm interested in finding out more about both of them. I'll try and have another look tomorrow and come up with something more helpful!

** eg not sure how he knew where the door was; not sure why he didn't feel the open air/breeze as he looked down into and/or hung from the hole; not sure if Pericol is humanoid like I imagine he is, or some kind of animal/alien; couldn't quite grasp the wall/road thing layout; had no idea what Phas II was -- but the confusion is undoubtedly the combination of reading too quickly and not knowing the story to date.

and a fall of a metres metre? or so, brought him to all-too-solid earth.

Apart from one inconsistent paragraph break, this was literally the only thing I noticed.

I really enjoyed the piece, especially Pericol's evasiveness, although it was harder to warm to Louis. This might improve with closer acquaintance. I hope there's a lot more of this. Loved the surreal way the dimensions seemed to drift, suggesting a dreamlike quality. Or possibly nightmarish?

Edit: Forgot to say congratulations on 15,000 posts!

Apart from one inconsistent paragraph break, this was literally the only thing I noticed.
Thanks. I've fixed those in the original post.

I really enjoyed the piece, especially Pericol's evasiveness, although it was harder to warm to Louis. This might improve with closer acquaintance. I hope there's a lot more of this. Loved the surreal way the dimensions seemed to drift, suggesting a dreamlike quality. Or possibly nightmarish?
"Louis" isn't that likeable a character (although in WiP1, at least one person is carrying a torch for him), but he's been given quite the run around by the time we meet him here. He had no intention of being anywhere near the planet on which he now finds himself, let alone being arrested and being under the threat of torture. (And don't tell anyone, but it would have been far worse for him than even he realised....) It doesn't help that just a few days before, he thought most of his problems (with their attendant threats) were behind him.

I agree with the Judge. It is well paced and the rhythm is good which makes it fairly easy to read but in places it is confusing.

Down and Out

A familiar stench pervaded the cell. She can’t be here. But this couldn’t be a dream, not when his ears were in such pain.

“Are you awake?”

I assume as the scent is familiar he knows who she is. And I'm left to assume she is who says "Are you awake?" But I'm not sure.

“Swallow!”

I assume she said it to him. Because she is up in the air and her identity is shrouded in mystery it makes her feel less solid which makes this dialogue difficult to follow. And right now I hope I am making sense - had a massive helping of alcoholic trifle. (wanted to wash the bowl - so had to finish it)

“Here to help.” The words, barely whispered, were clearly in Pericol’s voice and came from his left. Had she moved, or— “We have very little time. Get down on all fours. You will have to find the exit by touch.”

I think if we had had Pericol's location and name earlier it would have been easier to follow the dialogue.

What cameras? More likely, she still wanted to remain unseen.

Presumably she's helping him break out of somewhere - so surely the fact she wants to remain unseen is a given? If there is more to it I think it needs more explanation.

Its smooth, cold and unbroken surface showed no sign of its construction; more than likely it covered a single sheet of ulas.

What are ulas?

“What are you doing?” Pericol spoke from the direction of the forest, and was probably lurking behind one of the bushes. “We are not safe here.”

It feels a bit like she came from nowhere - did she follow him? If she did come from nowhere I need some more clarity than Louis was "Thoroughly confused" before the dialogue.

“What do you mean?” She was maintaining her distance, all the while concealing herself within the trees.

How does he know that? I felt he was more in the dark and it was difficult to see.

I was very conscious of the number of times I was saying he, she, Louis and Pericol, and may have reduced their number a little too much.

Ulas (as mentioned in the original post) is a material.

There's a running joke (obvious unseen by anyone but me) about how Pericol moves about from place to place. In the confines of the spacecraft (where she's concealed within the bridge's walls) her movement generates the stench mentioned in the first sentence here. Out in the open, it's less concentrated.

Back on the ship, Louis has learned to track her position by working out where her voice comes from; I can see that this may not be as clear here, but I saw little point in repeating what had happened before. Later in the book, the two are in much more open country, in daylight, and Louis suggests that she remains hidden because she isn't moving at all, that she isn't there at all, but is using speakers. She isn't, and the idea is somewhat ludicrous**, but it shows his frustration at her constant "invisibility". (She isn't invisible either: something else, something non technological, is going on.)

** - Not that it provided an inspiration, but I'm reminded of an episode of The Avengers (with Tara King) called All Done With Mirrors.

Sorry I should have read the prefix closer.

Is it clearer earlier in the story about the way she moves round? Because in this piece it is a little confusing.

All we know about Pericol is from Louis's point of view; so no, it's unclear. However, her movements, though unseen, are more "obvious" in the earlier scenes, if I can put it like that. In the scene above, she is not hidden behind the walls; her movements are concealed only by the total lack of illumination (which she has orchestrated not only to hide herself...).

What I am struggling to feel and follow is the connection between her movements and how he perceives them but it could just be this piece. It's dark but he knows where she is - is that because of the smell?

I have to admit, I'm struck by a lack of immediacy and urgency to this piece. Louis doesn't seem to feel particularly threatened or endangered by his situation, so instead spends time wise-cracking - which kills any potential tension for me.

The situation with the ears and swallowing - I had to re-read that to form an idea that Louis's ears only hurt because of a pressure change. Even then, I'm not sure, because you have him wincing when he opens his eyes to darkness - the sensory experience is not smoothly introduced. In fact, without further context the whole ears/swallow business looks like something that could be removed, because it adds nothing, and slows the narrative quickly - with what I see, I would suggest an attempt to get a little more visceral, add a little more confusion and fear, because at the moment I find it difficult to imagine any in this situation.

Of course, if it's meant to be light-hearted or a comedy, then I would suggest ramp up the wise-cracking - I get a sense of trying to be funny, but is just isn't working for me at the moment without any further context.

But if this is meant to be a serious piece, IMO we need a sense of tension and danger.

I'm too rushed to do this justice. From a quick scan i enjoyed it. Dont know if I got the 'feel' of what you are dping but perhaps this 1000 words isnt meant to impart that. In some ways it brought to mind the 'Stainless steel Rat' series which I haven't read for years. I suppose that the fact that your piece brought to my mind a recollectio of something I found tremendously funny can only be a good thing.

I have to admit, I'm struck by a lack of immediacy and urgency to this piece. Louis doesn't seem to feel particularly threatened or endangered by his situation, so instead spends time wise-cracking - which kills any potential tension for me.
The lack of immediacy is because he's bio-chemically dazed. Louis doesn't realise this**, so he can't mention it (not in a close 3rd person narrative). When he's more with it, he does question why he acted the way he did... just before things go really downhill.
The situation with the ears and swallowing - I had to re-read that to form an idea that Louis's ears only hurt because of a pressure change. Even then, I'm not sure, because you have him wincing when he opens his eyes to darkness - the sensory experience is not smoothly introduced. In fact, without further context the whole ears/swallow business looks like something that could be removed, because it adds nothing, and slows the narrative quickly - with what I see, I would suggest an attempt to get a little more visceral, add a little more confusion and fear, because at the moment I find it difficult to imagine any in this situation.
The "incident" that caused his ears to hurt occurred before Louis woke up; its effect is almost certainly what woke him (not that he would know that). It's there because, when he finally begins to cotton on to some of what's happening, and why and how, this is one of the things that helps him to work it out. (That and it's an inevitable consequence of what's been done to free him.)
Of course, if it's meant to be light-hearted or a comedy, then I would suggest ramp up the wise-cracking - I get a sense of trying to be funny, but is just isn't working for me at the moment without any further context.

But if this is meant to be a serious piece, IMO we need a sense of tension and danger.
The book isn't meant to be comedic, but it has some lighter-hearted moments (to provide some contrast with some of the nastier stuff).

** - No-one*** there does; well, Pericol probably does -- at least about some of it -- but she'd never even hint at it. In addition, she's never been a PoV character (because she simply knows far too much).

I don't think you could write a book that wasn't lighthearted if not actually laugh-inducing. Corngrats on 15K. *****

Got a bit more time today, so I thought I'd have another look.

I agree with Anya, that even on a re-read there's a tiny bit of confusion about who is speaking at times at the beginning especially, and though I got them right (I think) having to guess and check interrupted the smoothness of the writing a little, so a couple more attributions might not go amiss if you can slip them in. I think, also, you have a habit of explaining something a paragraph or two too late, at least for me eg you use her name only after she has spoken for the third time, eg the dry mouth comes after she says "Swallow!" not before, eg the hole being a hole. If your're going to explain things, and there's no reason for the mystery, I'd have the explanations early, so we can follow things more easily.

A familiar stench pervaded the cell. She can’t be here. But this couldn’t be a dream, not when his ears were in such pain. [I'd think about re-ordering the opening sentences, if this is indeed the opening of the chapter/scene, since if he's only just woken up, the pain would hit him first, and the stench only afterwards. Starting with the pain would make for a more dramatic beginning, too, I think, and fits in better with the noise which has hurt his ears/the pressure change being the cause of his waking. And that way round the stench and internal thought would lead more naturally to her speaking in the next line]

“Are you awake?” [I think this is where I'd put about it clearly being in Pericol's voice, rather than a few paras down, so we're sure at once]

Louis opened his eyes to total darkness; even the emergency lighting was switched off. “What—?” He winced. [I'm still not sure why he's wincing here -- her "Swallow!" coming immediately afterwards confuses me, too. Is his dry mouth actually painful, thus causing the wince, and she's intuited this from his inability to speak? (Or perhaps this is the side-effect of the drug she's given him?) Might be worth making it a tad clearer what the wince comes from, anyway -- if you put the dry mouth here, then you don't need it later]

“Swallow!”

Though his mouth was dry, his attempts finally did the trick. Something scraped on the floor to his right. “Where are you?” [if the question had come immediately after "trick" I'd have known it was him speaking, but coming after the something scraping I wondered for a moment if the voice belonged to that something/someone]

“Here to help.” The words, barely whispered, were clearly in Pericol’s voice and came from his left. Had she moved, or— [again a moment of confusion with the next dialogue. Even though it's in the same para as her voice at the beginning, by interrupting it with the "Had she moved" (which needs a question mark) there's a temporary change of focus, hence my confusion] “We have very little time. Get down on all fours. You will have to find the exit by touch.”

Resisting the urge to say [that] he knew exactly where the cell door was, [in two minds whether that bit is needed] Louis rolled quietly [the "quietly" needed? If no one can hear him talking, presumably they won't hear him even if he isn't quiet?] off the bed. “Why not simply turn on the lights?”

What cameras? More likely, she still wanted to remain unseen. On the other hand, even the doziest of guards would eventually notice that the cell’s lights were out, so there was little point in wasting time arguing.

He groped his way towards the door. A metre or so short, by his estimation, his fingertips brushed against a narrow and curving band, its rough surface much warmer than the floor’s cold stone. [this confused me on first reading. I guessed, eventually, that she has somehow burned a hole in the floor, and what he is touching is the warmth and roughness of the hole's curving edge, but I don't think this is really how one would describe coming upon a hole -- the "brushed" in particular doesn't seem adequate -- and I'd expect some further exploration on his part eg trying to judge how big it is etc. Basically, why not tell us it's a hole here?] Beyond was… nothing. “Is this what I’m looking for?”

“Why have you stopped?” Pericol spoke from somewhere below him. [again confusion with the "below" until I understood it was a hole] “Do you wish to stay here?”

“I’d rather not plunge down headfirst, thank you. How far is it to the floor below?”

Louis lowered himself [seems a bit abrupt -- I think I'd make more of twisting himself round, edging his legs through etc] into the round hole [since you're telling us it's a round hole here, there's nothing gained by withholding that information earlier, I don't think, then it can be omitted here] until, hanging by his sweating hands, [are his hands sweating because it's hot, or because he's nervous? Either way, I think we need to be told a bit more about his sensations, if not his emotions eg is he still in pain from the beatings he's undergone? eg can he hear anything like the wind?] his feet had to be no more than a metre or two above the floor of the room below. His grip failed. ["failed" suggests this is an involuntary action, caused by weakness -- wouldn't it be deliberate at this point, or should she hurry him again?] After a few moments, during which his body was buffeted by strong air currents – from where? – his fall was broken by thin leafy branches. [would he realise they are thin leafy branches immediately? Wouldn't he feel around to see what he's landed on? Somewhere above, the darkness was interrupted by a flash of bright light. [I got confused about the light on the re-read. Is this flash the wall lights coming on? He's only a metre above the ground, so they are several metres above him, albeit perhaps to one side and at a distance, though you don't make that clear. If not, why isn't he interested in their light as well as that flash?] He looked up, but saw nothing but stars. Where was the hole? Where was the cell floor? [if he's able to think about this and ask questions of himself, I'd expect him to be a little more WTF-ing, and wondering where the hell the whole prison/building was. As he's been calmed/sedated by her, I'd suggest omitting the questions, which implies curiosity and confusion on his part, and make it a bald statement eg "The hole, the cell floor, the entire building was gone."]

“Welcome to Phase II,” [I imagine we know what this is from the rest of the book?] said Pericol from somewhere ahead of him. [I imagined him lying on his back on the branches, so "ahead" was a bit meaningless. More detail needed of how he's lying/standing/whatever, I think]

An owl hooted owl [repetition of "owl"] close by, making him flinch. [I'm not sure I buy him flinching at the sound of an owl when he's so calm about everything else. I also don't buy a flinch, a relatively small motion, releasing the branch and beginning his fall to the earth in this way. I'd suggest perhaps he tries to twist round to see Pericol, or to find a hand hold and then he falls] This released a leafy branch, which slapped him in the face. [bit slap-stick, which I don't think is wanted here] The snap of a branch, and a fall of a metre or so, brought him to all-too-solid earth. [does he land on his back, legs, side, head, knees? Again more detail required, I think. Plus I think you need to make it clear what he's fallen on. Even on a re-read I thought it was the upper canopy of a tree, though only a metre drop seemed odd, unless he was somehow upright. But then as I tried to get to grips with the layout of the scene, I wondered if it's one of the scrubby bushes between the trees and the wall, though I can't see anything of that kind bearing a man's weight for even a few seconds, not unless he's landed bang in the middle of it, in which case he wouldn't fall any further and he'd have to clamber off it]

Louis took in his surroundings. [should he get to his feet?] Directly ahead was a line of trees, illuminated from behind him. [if the light is behind him, why is he looking at the trees in the first place?] The source of the light was a line of lamps, [how does he know? He's not turned round to them yet] about ten metres from the ground, inset into a matt white surface; they ran into the distance in both directions. [I think you've got this a bit backward -- surely it's the wall which runs into the distance, and you should be decribing that first and the lights are only part of it, not the most important feature] The surface belonged to a wall, whose top was shrouded in inky blackness. [there's no indication how far away this wall is from him, which I think we need to know] Along its base, about a metre higher than the ground, ran a dark grey platform that might serve as a road. He climbed up onto it and touched the wall. Its smooth, cold and unbroken surface showed no sign of its construction; more than likely it covered a single sheet of ulas.

His gaze returned to the forest, [what forest? We were only told it was a line of trees] whose edge seemed as precise as that of the wall, leaving a stretch of open ground of constant width, [which is? A few yards, a hundred yards, half a mile?] dotted with bushes, between the trees and the road. His cell had to be somewhere inside the wall. Perhaps those fierce air currents had pushed him clear. At least there might be a simple answer to this mystery. The gods only knew how a hole had appeared in a cell floor made of a single block of stone pierced only by the narrowest of drains.

“What are you doing?” Pericol spoke from the direction of the forest, and was probably lurking behind one of the bushes. [why do we need this if we know he never sees her?] “We are not safe here.”

Thoroughly confused, [why is he only confused now?!] Louis followed the sound of her voice, [so has he stepped off the road-wall again? Why didn't she stop him climbing onto it? And why does he follow the voice when she doesn't tell him to?] which seemed to recede as he walked.

“It’s a bit cold—”

“—sorry, [I don't think her dialogue should start with the dash, since she finished her last sentence properly, nor should it end with one as she completes that sentence, too] but I have no extra clothing for you—”

Pericol said nothing.

“There is no such vehicle.” So Pericol had entered the cell by the door. [the logic of that escapes me. Is it needed?]

“We will think of something. I had to free you from the cell before your interrogation began. The people here are not noted for their finesse. You would have been in great danger. And, more importantly, so would the Confederation.”

Louis stopped for a second. The undergrowth had thinned out but away from the wall, [I'm not clear which way he is going -- at right angles to the wall and into the forest? In which case, surely the undergrowth would be increasing as he approached the trees, not thinning? Or is her among the trees already?] and so in increasing gloom, keeping his footing was proving difficult. [um? you didn't mention his difficulty in walking when he went from landing to the wall so this is also confusing me] ‘Why would you care about the Confederation? You’ve spent your career spying on it. And undermining it.”
The big issue for me here is the lack of detail, most especially as to the setting outside which is in part responsible for the confusion I have in reading it, but also as to his sensations, though in view of your explanation about the drugging, I'm happy enough with the lack of fear/tension etc. Make some aspects clearer, eg how he lands, what he lands on, how far away the wall is, the distance between the wall and the trees, and we'll find it easier to understand, and be there with him more in the situation.

Nonetheless, even with my grumbles about lack of detail and setting, I enjoyed it, and I still want to know more about them! I liked both characters, and although it's not necessary here, I'd like to see more of their back and forth dialogue.

Hope some of the above helps. Good luck with it!

I rather enjoyed this.
At times it was confusing.
I'm not at all sure what phase II is. But it seemed important enough to be mentioned several times.

I do know that it's phase 1 in which Doris gets her oats.

15,000, holey schamoley... 14,500 of those contained puns, I'm sure, so here's to the grand master of clever writing. This is well-written and I'm reduced to nit-picking mainly...

Down and Out

“Are you awake?”

Louis opened his eyes to total darkness; even the emergency lighting was switched off. “What—?” He winced.

“Swallow!”

Though his mouth was dry, his attempts finally did the trick. Something scraped on the floor to his right. “Where are you?”

“Here to help.” He asked 'where are you?' not 'what are you doing?' or somesuch... The words, barely whispered, were clearly in Pericol’s voice and came from his left. if they were barely whispered how could they be clearly her voice? Had she moved, or— “We have very little time. Get down on all fours. You will have to find the exit by touch.”

Resisting the urge to say that he knew exactly where the cell door was, Louis rolled quietly off the bed. “Why not simply turn on the lights?”

What cameras? More likely, she still wanted to remain unseen. By Louis? On the other hand, even the doziest of guards would eventually notice that the cell’s lights were out, so there was little point in wasting time arguing.

He groped his way towards the door. A metre or so short, by his estimation, his fingertips brushed against a narrow and curving band, its rough surface much warmer than the floor’s cold stone. Beyond was… nothing. “Is this what I’m looking for?”

“Why have you stopped?” Pericol spoke from somewhere below him. “Do you wish to stay here?”

Louis lowered himself into the round hole until, hanging by his sweating hands, his feet had to be no more than a metre or two above the floor of the room below. His grip failed. After a few moments, during which his body was buffeted by strong air currents – from where? – his fall was broken by thin leafy branches. Somewhere above, the darkness was interrupted by a flash of bright light. He looked up, but saw nothing but stars. Where was the hole? Where was the cell floor?

An owl hooted owl close by, making him flinch. This released a leafy branch, which slapped him in the face. The snap of a branch, and a fall of a metre or so, brought him to all-too-solid earth. The repetition of 'branch' could be looked at, but I'd probably suggest removing the slapstick of the slapping branch, as it's somewhat unlikely, and does come over as quite 'stolid' prose, for want of a better word... 'An owl hooted close by, and he flinched. A branch supporting him snapped, and he fell onto all-too-solid earth'. (I'm just not sure he'd honestly think 'ooh, that was a metre or so' as he fell, he'd be flooded with adrenaline, not knowing what was below etc. You haven't told us that he's seen the ground, so he has know way of knowing what's below him.)

Louis took in his surroundings. Directly ahead was a line of trees, illuminated from behind him. The source of the light was a line of lamps, about ten metres from the ground, inset into a matt white surface; they ran into the distance in both directions. Nitpick alert: which directions? Because the trees were illuminated from behind, for a second I thought the lamps must run from behind him, to in front of him. The surface belonged to a wall, whose top was shrouded in inky blackness. Along its base, about a metre higher than the ground, ran a dark grey platform that might serve as a road. He climbed up onto it and touched the wall. Its smooth, cold and unbroken surface showed no sign of its construction; more than likely it covered a single sheet of ulas.

His gaze returned to the forest, whose edge seemed as precise as that of the wall, leaving a stretch of open ground of constant width, dotted with bushes, between the trees and the road. His cell had to be somewhere inside the wall. Perhaps those fierce air currents had pushed him clear. At least there might be a simple answer to this mystery. The gods only knew how a hole had appeared in a cell floor made of a single block of stone pierced only by the narrowest of drains.

Thoroughly confused, Louis followed the sound of her voice, which seemed to recede as he walked. But she hasn't said anything for it to recede. Presumably he only moved after she said 'we are not safe here'...

“It’s a bit cold—”

Pericol said nothing.

Louis stopped for a second. The undergrowth had thinned out but away from the wall, and so in increasing gloom, keeping his footing was proving difficult. ‘Why would you care about the Confederation? You’ve spent your career spying on it. And undermining it.”

“Be pleased I take an interest in the development of the Confederation. It is the sole reason I helped you escape.”

“You’ll have to explain.” Not that she would. “Either way, I’m trapped here on this planet. And from what I’ve already been told, the authorities won’t have any difficulty finding out where I am.”

“I am sure they wanted to give you that impression,” said Pericol. “They will have told you how well things were going here comma to break up a very long sentence? before they started to suspect you were not who they thought you were. I think you will find it relatively easy to disappear. The very nature of Phase II makes it hard for them to search openly for you. They must use surrogates. The local police do not expect to have to find new people, for very good reasons. They depend on cradle-to-grave record keeping. To catch you, they will have to be a bit more inventive than usual. They will need initiative. This is not something I usually associate with the Amratian police.”

“What have the shortcomings of the Amratian police got to do with anything? This is Phase II.”

She moved further into the trees. “We ought to get going. We have a long way to travel before we reach somewhere where delete 'where' you can clean yourself up and obtain more appropriate clothing.”

Hope that helps!

I found this very interesting. My only quibbles relate to the paragraph starting, "Louis lowered himself..." and these quibbles are minor; I think I would suspend disbelief and read on, if I was reading the full story.

Louis fell for "a few moments". At earth gravity, he would fall almost twenty metres in two seconds and thin branches probably wouldn't break his fall.

It reads to me as if he fell onto a platform of thin branches. If he fell into an earth-type tree, I would expect him to be hung up in the branches, and likely scratched in the process, rather than landing on them. Also, in the dark, how did he know that they were leafy? Leafy shadows in the lights? Leaves slapping his face? Or..?

Congratulations on the massive and impressive 15000! :D

Just a few thoughts, here and there:

A familiar stench pervaded the cell. She can’t be here. (This thought is italicized, but the rest aren't. I think I would prefer the rest to be, as well.) But this couldn’t be a dream, not when his ears were in such pain.

“Are you awake?”

“Swallow!” (I didn't make the connection here to his ears hurting, until I read someone's comment later. Perhaps the next line's "did the trick" could reference his ears popping?)

Louis lowered himself into the round hole until, hanging by his sweating hands, his feet (Louis lowered himself into the round hole, hanging by his sweating hands, until his feet... --otherwise, it sounds as though his feet are hanging by his hands) had to be no more than a metre or two above the floor of the room below. His grip failed. After a few moments, during which his body was buffeted by strong air currents – from where? – his fall was broken by thin leafy branches. Somewhere above, the darkness was interrupted by a flash of bright light. He looked up, but saw nothing but stars. (Looking up, he saw nothing but stars? Eliminates one but.) Where was the hole? Where was the cell floor?

An owl hooted owl close by, making him flinch. This released a leafy branch, which slapped him in the face. The snap of a branch, and a fall of a metre or so, brought him to all-too-solid earth.

Louis took in his surroundings. Directly ahead was a line of trees, illuminated from behind him. The source of the light was a line of lamps, about ten metres from the ground, inset into a matte white surface; they ran into the distance in both directions. The surface belonged to a wall, whose top was shrouded in inky blackness. Along its base, about a metre higher than the ground, ran a dark grey platform that might serve as a road. He climbed up onto it and touched the wall. Its smooth, cold and unbroken surface showed no sign of its construction; more than likely it covered a single sheet of ulas. (This whole paragraph has me befuddled as to what is where.)

Thoroughly confused, Louis followed the sound of her voice, which seemed to recede as he walked.

“It’s a bit cold—”

Pericol said nothing.

Louis stopped for a second. The undergrowth had thinned out but away from the wall, and so in increasing gloom, keeping his footing was proving difficult. double quoteWhy would you care about the Confederation? You’ve spent your career spying on it. And undermining it.”

“I am sure they wanted to give you that impression,” said Pericol. “They will have told you how well things were going herecomma before they started to suspect you were not who they thought you were. I think you will find it relatively easy to disappear. The very nature of Phase II makes it hard for them to search openly for you. They must use surrogates. The local police do not expect to have to find new people, for very good reasons. They depend on cradle-to-grave record keeping. To catch you, they will have to be a bit more inventive than usual. They will need initiative. This is not something I usually associate with the Amratian police.”

She moved further into the trees. “We ought to get going. We have a long way to travel before we reach somewhere where you can clean yourself up and obtain more appropriate clothing.”

Status
Not open for further replies.