700 words of new beginning

Status
Not open for further replies.

SleepyDormouse

dreaming away....
I don't think I will ever be completely happy with the start of my wip, but this is my latest attempt that I am happier with than previous - it is completely different! It is a middle grade. I would appreciate any comments on it.

Kendric wished that being tall also made him strong. You’d think being a carpenter’s son and apprentice would give him muscled arms, but his thin arms ached with fatigue. Once again he grabbed the end of a long branch and pushed it as high as his trembling arms could manage, trying to ignore the shouts of pain from his shoulders. As his left hand slipped on the wet bark a tendril of doubt entered his mind. Had he and his friends had set themselves too hard a task? If they didn’t manage to lift the branch high this time that would be it, he had no energy left to try again. Last chance. He shifted his hand for a better grip and tried to see where the branch met the tree, was it lined up for the fork? Just a bit higher. He strained harder and felt his boots start to slide in the mud.

“Now” he shouted, and threw his weight into one final push. From behind his friends shoved hard. The branch surged forwards,its gnarled end catching for a moment on the rough bark of the trunk, then with a shudder that threw them all off balance it slid into place. Kendric staggered forwards a few steps then fell, hands splayed, in cold, squelchy mud and decaying leaves.

He lay on the ground for a moment, the woodland’s familiar earthy smell filling his nostrils as he took in a long slow breath. Then he pushed himself up and wiped his hands on his trousers. Marley and Holt lay next to him, their woollen tunics and trousers covered in mud.

“We did it!” Kendric said. “Finally!” The long, heavy branch had needed all three of them to drag it from where they found it, then lift one end and wedge into the fork of the tree. But it had been worth it as now they had a really sturdy, and tall, support for their new den.

“Told you!” Marley said, springing to his feet with a wide grin on his face. “Easy peasy.” Maybe for you, thought Kendric, remembering that he had had the hardest job of getting the branch in place, being tallest.

“It would,” Holt said, still lying on the floor gazing dreamily through the canopy of leaves to the sky beyond. “Have been even easier with magic.”

Kendric and Marley froze. Kendric’s ears strained for any noise as he scanned the gaps between the grey trunks for movement. Their secret, hidden place in the woods suddenly felt very exposed. Anyone could be walking past and have overheard. Wishing to have magic was just about the worst thing anyone could do. Silence stretched on a moment longer, and then a blackbird started singing nearby, breaking the spell. The woodland was empty, of humans at least. The tension drained out of the air.

“Easier for you, you mean, if you could turn us into mindless slaves to do the hard work for you!” Marley said.

“It wouldn’t take much to make you mindless!” Holt retorted.

Kendric quickly stepped in and changed the subject, not wanting to spend his afternoon listening to them bicker. “It’s certainly taller than the last den.” He ran his hand up the rough branch to where it sat in the fork of the tree. It was just higher than his head. Perhaps he would be able to stand up in this one when it was finished. He certainly wouldn’t mind having less bumps on his head!

“Let’s hope it lasts longer!” Holt said, looking at the large pile of sticks that had been their den before the last night’s storm had toppled it.

“The last one was great!” Marley said. “It was my favourite den. It lasted ages, nearly a fortnight, and look, even after last night’s storm it’s still standing.” He pointed at two lonely sticks propped up against the trunk.

“Then we shall call it,” Holt said, standing up with a solemn expression, hand over his heart. “‘Survivor Of The Storm the den that didn’t fall down – completely’ and honour it in our songs for generations to come,” he held his pose for a moment, then laughed and gave Marley, who was frowning at him, a friendly thump on the back.

Kendric wished that being tall also made him strong. You’d think being a carpenter’s son and apprentice would give him muscled arms, but his thin arms ached with fatigue. Once again he grabbed the end of a long branch and pushed it as high as his trembling arms could manage, trying to ignore the shouts of pain from his shoulders. As his left hand slipped on the wet bark a tendril of doubt entered his mind. Had he and his friends had set themselves too hard a task? If they didn’t manage to lift the branch high this time that would be it, he had no energy left to try again. Last chance. He shifted his hand for a better grip and tried to see where the branch met the tree, was it lined up for the fork? Just a bit higher. He strained harder and felt his boots start to slide in the mud.

Too many arms in the first paragraph. This one has to be right or an agent won't read on.

“Now” he shouted, and threw his weight into one final push. From behind his friends shoved hard. The branch surged forwards, space its gnarled end catching for a moment on the rough bark of the trunk, then with a shudder that threw them all off balance it slid into place. Kendric staggered forwards a few steps then fell, hands splayed, in cold, squelchy mud and decaying leaves.

He lay on the ground for a moment, the woodland’s familiar earthy smell filling his nostrils as he took in a long slow breath. Then he pushed himself up and wiped his hands on his trousers. Marley and Holt lay next to him, their woollen tunics and trousers covered in mud.

I like this paragraph. Nicely evocative.

“Told you!” Marley said, springing to his feet with a wide grin on his face. “Easy peasy.”
New paragraph Maybe for you, thought Kendric, remembering that he had had the hardest job of getting the branch in place, being tallest.

Kendric and Marley froze. Kendric’s ears strained for any noise as he scanned the gaps between the grey trunks for movement. Their secret, hidden place in the woods suddenly felt very exposed. Anyone could be walking past and have overheard. Wishing to have magic was just about the worst thing anyone could do. Silence stretched on a moment longer, and then a blackbird started singing nearby, breaking the spell. The woodland was empty, of humans at least. The tension drained out of the air.

I like this too.

“Then we shall call it,” Holt said, standing up with a solemn expression, hand over his heart. “‘Survivor Of The Storm the den that didn’t fall down – completely’ and honour it in our songs for generations to come,” he held his pose for a moment, then laughed and gave Marley, who was frowning at him, a friendly thump on the back.

This last paragraph doesn't read the best to me, although I love what you're doing with it. It is probably a punctuation issue and hopefully a grammar guru will come along and point it out. Either that or I'm being particularly thick today, which is possible.

I like this piece. It really gave me a feel for boys doing what boys do, getting up to mischief, but a hint of forbidden magic intrigued me. Looking forward to seeing more.

K

Yes, punctuation is off in the last paragraph. Try this:

"Then we shall call it," Holt said, standing up with a solemn expression, hand over heart, "Survivor of the Storm, the den that didn't fall down - completely", and honour it in our songs for generations to come." He held his pose...

But if you could I think it would be better simplified esp for a kids book.

I thought it a better start fwiw.

Just in passing, as I'm meant to be working, the para Kerry points out has indeed some punctuation issues:

“Then we shall call it,” Holt said, standing up with a solemn expression, hand over his heart, [comma needed as he didn't finish his sentence, so it has to continue] “‘Survivor Of The Storm -- the den that didn’t fall down – completely’ and honour it in our songs for generations to come.He [full stop and capital needed, as "He held" isn't a dialogue tag, but a separate action] held his pose for a moment, then laughed and gave Marley, who was frowning at him, a friendly thump on the back.

You've made the same first mistake here, too: “It would,” Holt said, still lying on the floor gazing dreamily through the canopy of leaves to the sky beyond,have been even easier with magic.” since what he's said is "It would have been easier" and you've simply split it up.

I have to say it isn't immediately grabbing me as an opening, even with the hint of magic that mustn't be wished for, but I'm not a 10-12 yo boy so that's probably of no help in reaching any decision! Good luck with it!

NB He wouldn't mind having fewer bumps, not less!

This isn't bad, but the aspiring writer in me was desperate to shorten the opening paragraph - all the bits in red are things I thought you could cut:

The reason for the suggested cuts is that the first 200 words of this story are about pushing a branch up against a tree, which isn't so engaging that we need to see every detail. However, it is something happening - so make it happen and move on.

I appreciate you want to and that he's tall but not strong - literally a single clause could do that - perhaps in a paragraph that follows.

The following dialogue you might be able to tighten a little bit more to make it a little more immediate.

However, drop the exclamation marks - I've over-used them in the past (ie, up until last week!), and been roundly criticised for it. And I think the same issue applies here - use them very sparingly, otherwise it makes everyone look like they're shouting.

The tension about magic I think is a great hook - all the more reason to push that higher up the page by cutting out dead wood - literally! - from the paragraphs above that one.

One last concern is that I get a sense that this is pseudo-mediaeval, but if that's the case, some of the terms strike me personally as a bit modern - 'easy peasy' and 'fortnight'.

Also, they seem to congratulate themselves a little prematurely? The branch is referred to as a "support", not an actual covering, but at the end of the section they're all congratulating themselves on having built a den?

Overall, just a little more tightening and focus, I think, but otherwise not a bad piece.

Just personal opinion.

Thanks so much. I always have a horrible fear when I put up crits that I will come back to awful comments that will make me want to give up writing (for a while anyway!)
Lots of valid points, I shall go away and edit and adjust. I agree with the comments on the first paragraph, I felt uncomfortable with it anyway and its good to have someone else look at it and suggest improvements.

Just popped in quickly again to say that Brian's suggestion re the first para is a good one, and improving the pace would help no end to make the opening more grabby.

And also to say re
I always have a horrible fear when I put up crits that I will come back to awful comments that will make me want to give up writing (for a while anyway!)
that we all have a dread of what other people will think and say about our work, but in your case there's no need to worry -- you write well, and it's just a question of practice making perfect!

Normally people warn about using anything other than 'said' but retorted works fine here. )

And also to say re
that we all have a dread of what other people will think and say about our work, but in your case there's no need to worry -- you write well, and it's just a question of practice making perfect!

Thank you, that's very kind of you to say. :)

Hi! I'd like to give this one a shot. :) The ones in blue are suggested take outs. Reds are suggested inserts.

Kendric wished that being tall also made him strong. You’d think being a carpenter’s son and apprentice would give him muscled arms, but his thin arms they ached with fatigue. Once again he grabbed the end of a long branch and pushed it as high as his trembling limb arms could manage, trying to ignore the shouts of pain from his shoulders. As his left hand slipped on the wet bark, a tendril of doubt entered his mind. Had he and his friends had set themselves too hard a task? If they didn’t manage to lift the branch high this time that would be it, he had no energy left to try again. Last chance. He shifted his hand for a better grip and tried to see where the branch met the tree, was it lined up for the fork? Here, I was picturing a fork you eat with. Perhaps end the sentence with 'up'? Just a bit higher. He strained harder and felt his boots start to slide in the mud.

“Now” he shouted, and threw his weight into one final push. From behind, his friends shoved hard. The branch surged forward,s its gnarled end catching for a moment on the rough bark of the trunk, then with a shudder that threw them all off balance, it slid into place. Kendric staggered forwards a few steps then fell, hands splayed, in cold, squelchy mud and decaying leaves.

“We did it!” Kendric said. “Finally!” The It was a long, heavy branch, had needed all three of them to drag it from where they found it, then lift one end and wedge into the fork of the tree. but it had been worth it as now they had a really sturdy, and tall, support for their new den. I felt that the long sentence in blue was telling what was already shown.

“Told you!” Marley said, springing to his feet with a wide grin on his face. “Easy peasy.” Maybe for you, thought Kendric, remembering that he had had the hardest job of getting the branch in place, being tallest.

“It would,” Holt said, still lying on the floor gazing dreamily through the canopy of leaves to the sky beyond. “Have been even easier with magic.”
I'm unsure of the dialogue being separated by a beat tag. Perhaps it could go before the dialogue? I also left out some words I felt weren't needed. Holt lay on the floor, gazing through the canopy of leaves to the sky. "It would have been easier with magic."

“Easier for you, you mean, if you could turn us into mindless slaves to do the hard work for you!” Marley said.

Kendric quickly stepped in and changed the subject, not wanting to spend his afternoon listening to them bicker. “It’s certainly taller than the last den.” He ran his hand up the rough branch to where it sat in the fork of the tree. It was just higher than his head. Perhaps he would be able to stand up in this one when it was finished. He certainly wouldn’t mind having less bumps on his head!

“Let’s hope it lasts longer!” Holt said, looking at the large pile of sticks that had been their den before the last night’s storm had toppled it.

“The last one was great!” Marley said. “It was my favourite den. It lasted ages, nearly a fortnight, and look, even after last night’s storm it’s still standing.” He pointed at two lonely sticks propped up against the trunk.

“Then we shall call it,” Holt said, standing up with a solemn expression, hand over his heart. “‘Survivor Of The Storm the den that didn’t fall down – completely’ and honour it in our songs for generations to come,” he held his pose for a moment, then laughed and gave Marley, who was frowning at him, a friendly thump on the back. Perhaps something like, Holt stood with a solemn expression, hand over his heart. "Then we shall call it, Survivor of the Storm. The den that didn't fall down - completely, and honour it in our songs for generations to come." He held his pose and laughed as he gave Marley, who was frowning at him, a friendly thump on the back.

It was engaging for me. I like the beginning so far. :)

Holt stood with a solemn expression, hand over his heart. “Then we shall call it “Survivor of the Storm Den” and honour it in our songs for generations to come.” He held his pose for a moment, then laughed and gave a frowning Marley a friendly thump on his back.

That last section hit my editing button big time and I had to change, hopefully for the better.

The opening was confusing and vague for me and it wasn’t until the second or third paragraph that I understood what was happening, which may need more work for clarity. It was a slow start, with not an awful lot happening for an opening, but you got there. The magic hint was a nice hook, but there were no other real hints of plot to come. However, the characters voices were good and I would have read on beyond what you have given us here. I still think pace and some more excitement are needed to get my attention. I used to do long introductions into scenes, but for me, these didn’t achieve much. Simply dropping the character into a moment I think works better, especially at the start. You can world build after you’ve hooked the reader in. This opening felt like scene setting more than sinking a hook in and a hint of magic to come was not a lot to share with a reader.

Some editing and comma issues but all well covered by my betters. Keep at it Sleepy, it was good work.

Thank you Wo7f and Bowler. I will be going back through this soon and work in some of the changes suggested, just pre-Christmas activities and lack of energy have pushed this on the back burner for the while. I do find writing beginnings hard, and am trying very hard not to do too much world building before I put in a hook.

I don't think I will ever be completely happy with the start of my wip, but this is my latest attempt that I am happier with than previous - it is completely different! It is a middle grade. I would appreciate any comments on it.

Great

Had he and his friends had set themselves too hard a task? One too many hads?

Kendric and Marley froze. Kendric’s ears strained for any noise as he scanned the gaps between the grey trunks for movement. Mixing senses too much - ears/scanning?

“The last one was great!” Marley said. “It was my favourite den. said, ?

M

Ok, here is my revised version, nearly 150 words less. Whole chapter is now under 1500 (but I haven't included it here)

-----------------------

Kendric grabbed the end of the long branch and pushed it as high as his thin arms could manage. He might be the tallest of his friends but he wasn't sure that made him the best for this job. Marley was much stronger, but he wasn’t about to admit it. He shifted his grip as his hands slipped on the wet bark and tried to see through the brown hair that had fallen over his eyes. Just a bit higher. He strained harder, arms trembling, and felt his boots slide in the mud.

“Now,” he shouted and gave one, final push. The branch surged forwards as, from behind, his friends also shoved hard. The branch caught for a moment on the rough bark of the trunk then, with a shudder that threw them all off balance, slid into place. Kendric staggered forwards and fell, hands splayed, in cold, squelchy mud and musty, decaying leaves.

“Yuck!” Kendric said as he climbed out of the sludge and wiped his hands on the least muddied part of his trousers. Marley and Holt lay near him laughing, their woollen tunics and trousers mostly clean.

“Well, its a start,” Kendric said, looking at the propped up branch. It had taken all three of them to drag it over and lift it in place, but now they had a really sturdy, and tall, support for their new den.

“Told you,” Marley said, springing to his feet with a wide grin on his face, “easy.”

“It would,” Holt said, still lying on the floor gazing dreamily through the canopy of leaves to the sky beyond, “have been even easier with magic.”

Kendric and Marley froze. Their secret, hidden place in the woods suddenly felt very exposed. Anyone could have walked past and overheard. Kendric’s ears strained for noise as he watched for movement between the grey trunks.Wishing to have magic was just about the worst thing anyone could do. Silence stretched on a moment longer then a blackbird started singing nearby, breaking the spell. The woodland was empty, of humans at least. The tension drained out of the air.

“Easier for you, you mean, if you could turn us into mindless slaves to do the hard work for you.” Marley said.

Kendric quickly stepped in. “It will be much taller than the last den.” He ran his hand up the rough branch to where it sat in the fork of the tree. Perhaps he would be able to stand up in this one when it was finished. He certainly wouldn’t mind fewer bumps on his head!

“The last one was great!” Marley said. “It was my favourite den. It lasted ages, and look, even after last night’s storm it’s still standing.” He pointed at two lonely sticks propped up against the trunk.

“Then we shall call it,” Holt said, standing up with a solemn expression, hand over his heart, “’Survivor Of The Storm’ and honour it in our songs for generations to come.” He held his pose for a moment, then laughed and gave Marley, who was frowning at him, a friendly thump on the back.

I like this better than the first time, although I enjoyed that too. There seemed to be a couple of unnecessary commas which broke up the flow but otherwise very good. For example:

“Now,” he shouted and gave one, delete? final push.

The branch surged forwards as, from behind, his friends also shoved hard. Maybe reword as it doesn't seem to flow well for me?

fell, hands splayed, in cold, squelchy mud and musty, decaying leaves

A lot of commas in here. Make it jerky to read. Could just be me though, so see what real writers say!

Good job Sleepy and much smoother.

I question the value of the whole first paragraph. Consider this radical suggestion – starting with the second paragraph and from “Now”. It still fits well and while the reader has to do a bit of work to put things together, it is possible. Mostly however, your start without the first paragraph would be very immediate and with the character. See what you think.

Too many comma ok.
Kendric staggered forwards and fell, hands splayed in cold squelchy mud and musty decaying leaves. – You had four comma, I have one. I don’t think your comma placement was wrong, but it did impact on flow a lot.

Speech tags. Mostly well-handled and some following actions with no said tag at all that I felt were very well handled. But where you do have a speech tag, you mostly use “character name & said”. There is one shout that I can see, but in general you use “said” only. Mix it up more.

The magic info dump still feels very heavy handed and clunky to me, others may disagree. I’m not sure what to recommend here.
This re-write is much better as these things are after a good edit. I write one part to three plus parts editing. 1:3 or 1:4 writing to editing, so leaving something aside for a bit and returning is I think, a good idea. There are still days when I wonder why I wrote what I did and what a numpty I am (ok, most days), so editing after the fact smooth’s this out. Usually 10% to 15% of my words get culled during my editing and that is the way it should be.
Anyway, I can’t recommend getting into the habit of editing, fussing, re-writing and focusing on detail enough.

A few niggles still to fix, but a nice little section now and of a high standard. Good work.

I think you may have something there about the first paragraph Bowler. I will think it over.

Speech tags, I'm sure I've read that having he said, she said, etc is good because you read it without it really registering. Maybe I have gone too far in this direction though and need to use more creative tags. I'm not wholly convinced though... anyone else's thoughts on this?

I'm actually quite enjoying editing, it is hard sometimes to let things go. But I keep multiple copies of my work so it frees me up a bit to be brave and press that delete key. :) I do get very reluctant to edit scenes I know are hard though. That's one reason I popped back to the first chapter, I didn't' want to edit one of my middle scenes. (but I must edit it and I'm sure once I start I will get into the flow of it - hopefully!)

Speech tags, I'm sure I've read that having he said, she said, etc is good because you read it without it really registering. Maybe I have gone too far in this direction though and need to use more creative tags. I'm not wholly convinced though... anyone else's thoughts on this?

You use [X said] all the time. I find this much more noticeable than [said X]. I think the combination that seems to stand out least is mostly the latter, with a few of the former so it doesn't seem too repetitive.

Putting the saidism before the character can be useful in other ways too:

Because the character name starts with a capital letter, and the dialogue ends with an exclamation mark that can act as a full stop, it's not immediately clear whether "Holt retorted" is a separate sentence, and it takes a tiny moment to work it out. (I have come across examples where both interpretations make sense.) So if a line of dialogue ends in !, ? or -- I always try to have the saidism first in the dialogue tag, if there is one.

Thanks Hare, I spent a while searching about order of x said or said x and thought I had found the right order. Lol I will read more about speech tags.

I suppose its good though that I am getting comments on speech tags, commas etc and not on lack of detail, head hopping, needing more character depth etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.