Thoughts on New Star Trek Movies

AlexanderSen

Cosmic Ghost
If you ask me, I figure they should do a story on the Prime Directive. It could totally be done in a way which tests their limits of what is one of the fundamental cores of the Star Trek Universe. IMHO they should do the premise and plot on best of Star Trek for the reboots. I liked the first reboot, not so much the second, but they both seem more action Star Wars-like than the actual spirit of the Trek Universe. They could totally make it awesome by building around the premise of the Federation at risk of annihilation if they do not break the Prime Directive. "These may be the only words you hear, but if you not comply with breaking the Prime Directive the Federation will be destroyed..." Sen out! ;D

Breaking the Prime Directive has been done - lots. In fact breaking it is basically a pre-requisite for being a top captain. I''ve not seen the new films yet (not a big fan of "lets reboot and change everything" in general); though I'd say they should try and do something that they've not really done with Star Trek in a very long while. In fact not really since the early films and that is to put the mystical fantasy and mystery back into Space.

Space travel was always that - it was that next big fantasy and mystery beyond the stars. Sadly somewhere along the line between introspective character development and aliens of the week Startrek lost that. In fact space is quite mundane and predictable. They tried to kind of get it to work again with the Wormhole and sort of got there with changlings - and they tried again with Voyager (but quickly got bogged down in the Borg).

How about meeting the Cerealian (sp) probe again, only this time not going back in time to solve things, but following back its path to its source to fix the problem (now there is a nice mystery that harkens back to the original series).

Didn't they break the Prime Directive in the first scene of the last movie?

Anyway, I'd settle for a coherent plot.

The movies can be enjoyable, but I'd prefer if they did something a little more Trek-inspired instead of upping the action each installment.

Maybe the Enterprise can try to prevent a war with the Klingons that the last movie hinted at.

The Star Trek Franchise can totally do more of a thinking movie like Inception with special effects nowdays which make thinking or expressive scenes are easier to do. The problem seems that everything in Hollywood is starting to be owned and worked on by the same people. Thus all stories are turning into the same muck. Before there was a distinct difference between the two worlds which seem like are now are all becoming amalgamated.

Here is my problem with the new series: by the end of the first movie I was absolutely convinced that Spock should have been the captain and Kirk placed in some position as a junior officer until he decided to grow up. So what I would like to see above all else would be the movie that would have followed after that.

Kirk was always a bit of a rouge though. I mean during the original series he quite clearly was trying to get into the bed of nearly every other alien they met (which I suspect would be breaking nearly every rule in the book of first contact protocol). But he then also had his excellent and more serious side that came out when needed. Unlike most of the other captains that followed he wasn't super serious until it was needed - the rest of the time he was somewhat more, if not childish just less mature.

Thing is sometimes if your film already has pre-set positions for the characters sometimes a writer can get carried away and focus too much on one aspect of a character; changing the nature of the character without realising it - but keeping the character in the role and position because that's enforced by the structure already in-place.

Abrams Trek is only mildly entertaining with only passing semblance to the original series. While the original had some great action and fights at times it was never the central theme of the series or films. Now the Enterprise just boldly goes about looking for a fight.

And oh yeah, lens flare.

The only major thing I see wrong with the new Star Trek movies is the same thing I see wrong so many movies made in the last twenty years. They substitute CGI for suspense. More action pushing men, women, animals and machines past all believable limits does not make a better movie. It makes a movie that insults its audience. Special effects are supposed to help make you suspend disbelief not suspend sanity. I liked the idea of changing history and redoing Star Trek again for another generation. You can do the same stories with a new outcome. Good Science Fiction frequently stats with "What If?" but tame the CGI. Give me more story, more concepts and less explosions.

I honestly think the vast majority of Hollywood can't do a good story.
It annoys me somewhat that it seems Pixar and one or two other studios and a handful of directors seem to get making films whilst the rest appear to be running around with toy guns going bang bang. Though I put some of the blame on the large number of people who can cut-up and change the script once it made. I'm very sure that a good number of decent films likely get all the good bits cut out or changed about which renders them daft.

I think it would be a good thing if they got back to Prime Directive directive storylines. It's not just about Kirk breaking the Directive - these stories address ethical issues the crew faces and can be thought-provoking.

Star Trek's original series was much more humanitarian, with a focus on coming up with solutions that are good for everyone involved. Yes, its quite dated and cheesy by today's standards. The new movies have "fixed" a lot of the problems and improved on the characters. But the new movies have lost sight entirely of Star Trek's purpose - that of peaceful exploration.

I think it would be a good thing if they got back to Prime Directive directive storylines. It's not just about Kirk breaking the Directive - these stories address ethical issues the crew faces and can be thought-provoking.

Star Trek's original series was much more humanitarian, with a focus on coming up with solutions that are good for everyone involved. Yes, its quite dated and cheesy by today's standards. The new movies have "fixed" a lot of the problems and improved on the characters. But the new movies have lost sight entirely of Star Trek's purpose - that of peaceful exploration.
I like too see them fix th eoriginal timeline.

I agree. Star Trek without a planet Vulcan is just wrong. Like toast without marmalade. You don't do that sort of thing. :)

In the film thousands did survive , they went off and founded a new planet.

Why can't they do an movie in which the storyline involves exploration and seeking out new lifeforms?
I ask that myself it would require more time for the writers to work on a story.

I ask that myself it would require more time for the writers to work on a story.

If it requires a little more time between films,and the story is good. Then it would be worth the wait.

What they could do is is have Seth Macfarlane write the next Trek film.I admit im not a fan of Family Guy or American Dad, But he did a spectacular job with Cosmos . Macfarlane is an excellent writer and producer. He's also a Trek fan , he could come up with a great Star Trek story. :)

Last edited:
I would ask Vonda N. McIntyre to write a new film. She's written two excellent Star Trek novels and several of the film novelizations. She has a grasp of the characters and knows how Star Trek works.

Vince W hit the nail on the head with lens flare. I am sure I read a post where Abrams actually stated he realised he had gone crazy on the lens flare.