Dragon Age: Inquisition... ownd, pwnd, and bwnd by XBone.

I rather liked that. Whilst I felt the game somewhat pushed you to open up way too many areas early on (esp if you got the collectors edition) when you were not of a strong enough level to really explore them I did like that the game wasn't totally walking you through linear with restrictions. Though its a failing of level based games that often you can't win by superior tactics if you're several levels below.

Likewise, Overread.

Reminds me (writ small) of Dragon's Dogma, where you have no idea if an area will be super-easy or result in you getting instantly murdered by thirty Sulphur[sp] Saurians.

Yep very true - whilst on the other hand you have games like Skyrim where you don't really have much of that effect; yes you go up levels but the game scales most things to suit your level. So you get stronger, but so do they; although a few things like Dragons, Giants and sabre cats are still super tough; although you can use some basic tactics to kill them (giants you just sit on a horse running around shooting them with arrows).

What I'd really like to see is an RPG wave of games where the whole levelling system is lost. Character and skill advance still being part of it; but the game not requiring you to level

That'd be interesting.

Sometimes levelling can horrendous. Oblivion's a good game in many ways, even great, but the levelling system is atrocious. Any system whereby levelling up can make you relatively weaker is just wrong.

Update:

Okay, no new patches... no fixes. BUT... my friend now knows what to look for. I've not watched him play, but he says there is a difference in the save icon and save slot when it is not saving. He now saves often and knows immediately when the game lies about his save point.

When he starts up, he has to make sure he logs out (yeah, I know, start up and log out... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot), but it allows him to successfully connect. When the game lies about his save point and tries to bwn him, he also has to log out and reboot, then the XBone will run fine for an hour or five before it craps out.

Like I've said before, he loves the game itself.

Whilst it's good he's got a work-around, it's ridiculous how much of a faff that is.

Completing the main quest in the Fallow Mire.

After a period of sharpening blades, tightening bowstrings and augmenting staffs, we felt stronger, wiser and better equipped to venture back into the marshes.

We sent the undead back into their slushy graves by the masses, watching the action in glorious stop-start slo-mo is hugely satisfying, as my two handed warrior cut them down backed up by a handsome team.

Reaching the ruined castle at the end of the swamp, following the trail to our kidnapped soldiers, here we came across the Avaar, and their wiley ways. They could not stand against us though and feeling confident we pushed forward into the cathedral where the trail led.

Here, we were met by a behemoth of an Avaar, a brute swinging an axe as large as a man’s torso – announcing himself as The Hand of Korth. With the confidence of our progression behind us we charged in, The Hand of Korth’s guard was an intimidating and impenetrable band of steel protecting his health bar above us. When the strength that had got us here was brute force, and this giant's own force outmatched ours by ten to one, we were down to zero potions in no time at all and had barely but scratched him.

In a paused moment of clarity as we withdrew from the manic heat of the battle we remembered it was a tactical world in which we dwelled. We decided to switch things up. This brute was swinging wildly, each lunge offering a killing blow. But we just needed to keep out of range. Our rogue became a wasp, flying in, stinging with her wicked daggers and evading quickly before any damage was taken. Our warriors kept his attention, but kept out of his range, everyone dancing in circles around the open cathedral.

His rage was clear, and frustration too as he called to the heavens for the strength to rid his home of these troublesome critters. But we kept up the assault, guerrilla style bites and chops and wore him down to his knees, before finally extinguishing the heated flame of his life.

Our soldiers were grateful for their lives, the Inquisitions forces rebolstered and its reputation cast in stone. It was a good victory.

- Just an example of how the game asks you to use tactics, thoroughly enjoying this very big game. Don’t read if you haven’t done it yet.

What valuables?

Whilst that doesn't bother me, it does seem like a strange omission, now you mention it.

When you go to sell stuff, there is a diamond icon at the top with the weapons and armor etc. icons. The valuables are things like statues, spider ichor, spider eggs, malachite, onyx, figurines etc. some of these items are used for Requisitions, crafting, or most recently new to the game, tinting. :)

I know that :p

I meant what valuables did you want to save, but I'm guessing it's for requisitions.

Isn't tinting with crafting materials, which don't consume inventory space?

Yes, def crafting materials for tinting. I didn't actually realise they sneaked in tinting, because I only just arrived at Skyhold - had been to Undercroft a couple of times and thought I just overlooked that part. Loving the tinting, it really allows you to extend the party's characters through their outfits (i just think that Cole would like velvet stuff, and Sera kooky fabrics)

By the way, i'm pretty sure with your 'valuables' you can go to Minaeve (or the other lass if Minaeve is 'not around' ;) ) and deposit all the yellow highlighted stuff for research - and then everything else has no use! So can be sold freely - I just 'sell all' at a vendor.
I even think the game might not let you sell the useful stuff if you use the 'sell all' button.

But I am really happy with the storage that I don't have to sell some of the unique weapons you find that tell a story themselves but you have no other use for apart from sentiment.

I quite like giving people horrendous colour clashes. Plaidweave is excellent for this.

Hi WinterLight, actually they do allow you sell requisition items. Check out the requisition table in the building next to Cassandra. :)

So I've solved the main story. Still have some mosaics to find, dragon to kill, and door that needs five peices that make a key? Hmmm... Debating on wether or not to start my elf character and cheat a little to find what I couldn't before.

Update: Neither Microsoft nor EA has fixed the save issues for Xbone, but still Dragon Age: Inquisition was a ton of fun!

So I figured out that the Xbone never actually shuts off. The light goes off, but it tries to stay online. DA:I was designed to take advantage of this, but when I power down DA:I loses connection... but still thinks it is connected. So when I power up, the game immediately starts, but cannot save.

To actually play DA:I on the Xbone, I start each session by unplugging the Xbone. This severs whatever pseudo or interrupted connection. Then when I power up, the Xbone actually connects to the online/cloud/somwhereinthenetherworldsavefunction. That's a technical term... I'm gonna trademark it. Anyway, this ensures I can actually save... and thus make progress through the game.

So should I review the game? Nah... but I'll give you some info. Graphics... good. Combat... good. World... very big. Crafting... good. Party members... great. Story... very good. Returning characters... great.

After the disappointing story aspects of DA2, DA:I gets your character back to saving the world... but you also get to do some political base building. Decorating your castle with matching drapes and pillows may be fun to some... and it would be fun for me if my character was a king, but my character was the Inquisitor, the moral compass for continents, the defender of the weak, the renewer of hope. Who cares about drapes when religions, nations, millions of people, heck, the whole planet depends upon the Inquisitor? And that is where the game really shines... the decisions. Mercy, punishment, death, life, liberation, slavery, genocide, colonization, war, judgement... are all part of the decisions that you must make for governments, organizations, communities, and individual people throughout the course of the game.

Is the Inquisitor chosen by the Maker? Is the Inquisitor a heretic?

The continuing problem of how society deals with mages once again is a focus. Free them, kill them, enslave them, intern them, or protect them?

Templars are actually drug addicts? What?!?! And the Chantry encourages this?

I played through first as a male human who openly doubted whether he was the Chosen of Andraste, but was focused on preserving order while fighting Corypheus. My second character was a female elf who claimed to be the Chosen of Andraste while championing Elven rights wherever and whenever possible. Both were good characters, but seemed nothing alike due to their class, race, and gender differences.

I don't want to spoil the story by saying which NPCs from previous DA games show up, but there are at least five. One was expected, a second one I should have anticipated, and another was not surprising... but the others were like punches to the gut.

If you go down the crafting route, you'll get better equipment than you'll loot from bosses.

I thought playing as an Archer made for a lot... I mean, a lot easier combat. In my first game, as a two-handed-hacketizer, there were some hairy moments on Normal Mode. As an Archer, I played mostly on Nightmare... and I stink at console games... well, I had to dial it down to Hard for some of the dragons.

Vary your party just to listen to what they say to each other. Vi is cruel to Bl. Ca loathes Va. Se hates Do, Va, Vi, and Ca on principle. IB is pure joy.

The Inquisition obviously sets up the next game in this franchise. And yet for my first character, he wanted nothing so much as to dismantle the Inquisition as soon as they stopped Corypheus. Everyone is trying to use the power and the influence of the Inquisition for their own ends. Two NPCs want you to back them as the next Divine. Some encourage the Inquisitor to actually change the Inquisition into a nation.

The reason Americans love George Washington is because when he had absolute power in his hands he walked away. He did not need it. He did not want to use it as leverage or for personal gain. I'm not saying he was perfect, but he did know what absolute power does. He set the precedent that leadership must have a time limit.

In Inquisition, the masses (and the Inquisitor's companions and inner circle) all laud the Inquisitor and give him even more power and influence. It is heady and it is scary at the same time. Even in a video game there is a strong pull to justify my decisions.

"Killing that man probably saved lives. Probably."

"You once tweeted a racist joke. I sentence you to twenty years hard labor cleaning my outhouse. I love the smell of roses in the morning."

"So you drowned hundreds of plague victims and refugees decades ago in a far away place during a civil war and a demonic invasion in order to save your town from certain death? I don't know any of the details of the case nor do I have jurisdiction over you.... hmmmm. I sentence you to death because everyone hates you and they'll love me for killing you."

"You want me to support you as Pope even though you lead a guild of assassins? Okay, but you have to give the Inquisition tax exempt status forever and the right to torture people... oh, and the right to start a Jihad whenever we want."

The lure to control people... to control the outcome... to play God is tangible. It makes the game compelling.

I was considering the GOTY version. But it's just download codes rather than on-disc, which is very disappointing.

On Templars, their drug addiction is mentioned in Origins and DA2. Do pay attention :p

I also really like the judgements. Some are entertaining (the box), and others are quite difficult (the mayor). Not sure I completed it (I think a ranged protagonist makes sense for Nightmare, I had a dual-wielding rogue but got tired of being a glass dagger that shattered so easily), but I had a playthrough with Sera and Vivienne in my party, and that was quite entertaining.

I think Cassandra, Varric and Dorian might be my favourite party for banter.

Of course, the cruellest moment of humour was when I made Vivienne wear a plaidweave dress. Mwahahaha!

Aye, called the dress 'Beeswax Catastrophe'.

Bit irked about the way DLC's been handled, though. I may well give Andromeda a wide berth until I see how it develops.

Also, cheers for the like. I was previously on 666.