A Bigger Smaller World - Overpopulous

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexanderSen

Cosmic Ghost
Each chapter starts with a news broadcast (a homage to Stand on Zanzibar ;)), but the story is more an scifi action comedy with some romantic elements. The story has 4 protagonists: Hero, Suyoon, and Kiyoon(Suyoon's sister), and Geos.

-------------------
THE OVERPOPULOUS MAZE
“...Unable to deal with the giant influx, leaders have been debating on what to do with the massive movements of refugees trying to get into the greater Hong Kong.

We have reports of the migration of immigrant workers and refugees moving to the other ports to the more prosperous Chinese States but due to lack of proper facilities have been forced into the slums known as the Maze. The Maze is an offshore settlement built from old ocean liners, cargo containers, and an old abandoned oil rig. What started as a squatter settlement just off shore a mile out from the beach, is now home to refugees, the poor, and criminals of every kind and has developed into a large full scale floating city. Reminiscent of the Old City of Kowloon, it is a no-man's land where neither the Chinese Government nor foreign countries have any authority.

We will be bringing you live updates in our investigative report from inside the settlement...”

HERO - ONE BOY AMIDST AN OCEAN OF BEINGS
It was 5AM, and amidst the polluted muck that was life in the mega-slum city, Hero made his way through the millions of people who went about their business in the rain covered streets of the Maze. Hero waded through the masses that constantly moved like the ocean, his life, insignificant, like a twig tossed out to sea, flowed with the ebbs of the crowd.

As he headed towards the meeting place with Gribb's gang, Hero felt in this stew of filth he needed some space. He jumped up and climbed onto a ledge above the streets and free ran through the rooftops of the city buildings, moving like he was carried by the wind, Hero's movements, continuous, flowed through him onto the urban jungle as he ran along hurdling over the walls before him. Shimmying over a ledge, foot over foot, he was purely focused on his coordination, and moved like an old Shaolin Monk-the ones you find in those old Kung Fu movies where the characters always spoke off cue. He hopped over the ledge and grabbed onto a metal post, the grit of the steel rubbed raw on his hands as he swung around off the pole, and did a front flip onto the stairway shed across on the other side of the alley. Then, bouncing off the stairway shed he rolled onto the roof, and did an aerial over to the top of the metal overhang, and jumped down landing perfectly into lower building below, each movement flowing from one to the next, Hero arrived at his destination in next to no time, noticing a light post he hopped up onto a utility box and climbed up onto the railing of the post. It was a good spot to wait.

Hero pulled up his insulated hood over his head, and put on his gas mask as a light rain began to fall. The pitter patter and rain rolling into a storm could be heard up above the chatter and sounds of people moving by. Those without enviro-suits ran for cover from the toxic rain and hid under the shanty roofs of the slum-city. The vibrant colors of the bio-luminescent signs of the stores reflected off the wet pavement as the sun set, and steam rose from the organic filtration materials in the walls of the buildings which fought an ever losing battle of cleaning the air of it's ever growing pollutants, it was congested stew of machine and a human maze of people. The city filled with the smell of sweat and grime, and the mugginess of the city weighed down on Hero as he shook himself off to keep himself awake.

Hero Won was a street kid who was raised in the Maze. This was his home, the sectioned off slum city, with its abundant life, in its myriad of ways, seedy and treacherous as it was dangerous, clashed against the shores of the giant 30ft make-shift walls that surrounded the city.

From underneath, in the crowd came the seedy voice of Gribbs, "Hero, my main man!”

Hero jumped down from the post to greet Gribbs.

Gribb's gang surrounded Hero. They were adorned with giant pompadours, triage masks, and dressed in flamboyant enviro-suits in bright neon colors. The bright colors shone through the night and their suits had logos and slogans written on them showing off their pride and victories:
“The reckless wonders of the Neo-Cities"
“Seen the darkside of city life(motorcycles?),"
“If you don't ride in the rain you haven't ridden at all.”

Shorter than the rest, Gribbs was the stockiest and the meanest looking, unusually well fed for someone living in the slums, his fat belly protruded from his outfit, and like an old boss of sorts, he always had a way of getting what he wanted. Gribbs was that kind of guy, in which every time Hero dealt with Gribbs, Hero would get a worse deal than what he wanted, and it would only get worse.

Reluctant to see Gribbs, Hero irked himself to respond, “Yo Gribbs...”

“Hey you loser!" Gribbs said mockingly.

“Piss off~ I am going to get out of here someday,” responded Hero.

“Hahaha~ Your lunatic. Get real freak!"

“Yeah... well, I am going to do it!” replied Hero. It annoyed Hero that Gribbs would openly mock him as if Gribbs didn't take to Hero's words – who was to say what one could or could not do? The world was vast and changed every day.

"We are looking for a better life man!"

Hero looked up at the city walls around them, high like mountains, the walls hid the outside world from what happened inside the city. “...You ever wonder what's on the other side of these walls?” Hero gesturing at the giant barriers.

“Who cares? Dregs like us will never get out of this place.” Gribbs dismissed Hero as he always did.
The Guards at the gates stood preventing those without the proper permits from entering into the other sections of greater North America. In the past, Hero's efforts of finding out how to get a permit to get out of the Maze was met with disdain and red tape that left him running in circles. (might need a edit) Without a pass, he knew he had no way of ever getting out of the Maze.

Seeing it as a hurdle to one's dreams, Hero wanted to cross to the city gates and set foot onto shore just to see what there was. He would often imagine how those on the other side would live, rich and full of life in his dreams the world outside was full of abundance.

He looked out up at the polluted muggy sky, red deep from the pollution the eerie skies turned slowly to darkness. Hero felt like there was no freedom, life was just a prison. The shanty houses made from ship containers and sheet metal scraps were piled high to make the shoddy high rise of scrap metal. It stood a domineering ghost in the shadows of the night. Just the same thing each day in and out, everyone was just clamouring for a few creds by selling some small job, or petty crime.

“Hey, quit wasting time!" So you going to play or what?” cried out Gribbs.

Hero distracted by his thoughts stood in silence lost in thought still staring up out at the giant walls.
Gribbs, annoyed, gave Hero a shove. “Hey, Mucker! You going join the rest of us in reality? There is no such paradise outside these walls, there is only this rotting filth.” Gribbs gestured to the world around them.

Hero shrugged it off. “Let's just get this over with.”

“So, you want to play?” said Gribbs.

“Look, all I need is some E=MC2units to pay the bills,” replied Hero. It had a funny ring to it but ever since teleportation everything was counted in energymatter units. Cash was just how much mass and matter you controlled.

Gribbs turned shouting out to his lackeys. “Heh~ So the fool wants to come play with us. Welcome to my game!”

“So Gribbs, what you want from me?” said Hero.

“Don't worry Hero... I only want a small favor.”

Hero didn't like how the tone of Gribbs voice sounded.
“I want you to do a job~."

Hero felt like he was falling deeper and deeper into the depths of an endless hole.

Hero had always kept clean on the streets, working poor jobs, but when his mom passed away, he had trouble paying the bills and began to fall into the crime world.

“Here.” Gribbs gave Hero a laser gun.

“What?” retorted Hero defensively, “Hey... Come on Gribbs. I am no criminal. You don't need me. You can get your lackeys to do that.”

“Ahhh... well you see, Hero, I want you to do it.”

“No way! Come Gribbs, you know I can't.”
Gribbs laughed.

“You can and you will. Remember who you owe.” Bit smiled with a sinister grin, “I gave you something when you had nothing.”

Last edited by a moderator:
I strongly suggest that you read through this thread:

http://www.sffchronicles.com/threads/51521/

Lot's of great ideas and notions that might benefit you.

Also: if you haven't already done so, I'd suggest you go back through the critique threads here as far back as you can stand to go and you might get a gist of why this piece doesn't work for everyone.
You have some great ideas and it's a story that only you can tell; so you'll want to give it your best.

The first three paragraphs are an okay start but they need some work on tightening[see Stephen King's On Writing]and then taking the added room you gain from that use some elements to draw the reader into the story by getting a bit closer to you characters to fill in detail about smells and sounds along with the sights and maybe a bit of some edgy experience about how it feels to be brushing so close to so much uncertain life as just another faceless person who could be swallowed whole by the city and its denizens like Jonah was by the whale.

It almost looks like you start to bore yourself and digress to dialogue with little narrative.

Also, there are some little things; if you have to tell us someone said something mockingly then perhaps you need stronger words to make us hear the mocking tone.

::Or instead of telling us he's distracted while staring at the wall you might say.::

Hero stood silent and immobile with eyes fixed on the great wall; as though all that existed was that wall and his will; and the question of which would prevail

::Then when Gibbs brings him back.::

"Hey, Mucker!" Gibbs shouted. "Come join us in reality? No paradise outside these walls, it's two different filth's separated by a barrier, so's they don't mix and mingle .” His arms sweep outward: wide.

You have some good potential, but read that toolbox and if you haven't read Stephen King's On Writing I would recommend it. Good instruction and he has a pretty good sense of humor.

Reminds me of the classic premise of a JRPG. Which I love by the way.
The foundations are all here; imaginative descriptions, characterised dialogue, an in depth universe...
It lacks cohesiveness, and is technically raw in places. Sometimes you swerve on an unnecessary tangent that jars with the reader, but all in all definite potential, just need to tame your imagination for the people reading! Keep writing.

I am not sure about this book. I don't know if anyone will like my writing. I have a long way to go with grammar which seems to be my biggest setback. I want to finish the project in a timely manner but my poor grammar skills seem to hinder my work (which is the same problem with another project I was working on). I don't know if there is a way to progress quicker in developing my skills... I feel like I almost need another co-writer on my projects and or an editor to refine my work to a level which is enjoyable for people. It's sad because I have spent so much time on these things already I would hate to see it go to waste.

Hey, Alexander, sorry to hear about your frustrations. I'm not an experienced writer, but from just attempting--these last 8 months at the Chrons--to improve my own writing ability, I know that practice and perseverance are incredibly important to the process. Try creative writing classes; work and re-work pieces, then throw them up here for advice; and just don't give up. Give it time...work for the next year, say, and I bet you'll see big improvements. Best of luck, and try not to be overly frustrated, CC

Status
Not open for further replies.