Astrology in history

oranges

Astrologers have gone to great lengths to analyze the motions of stars and planets, and devise elaborate interpretations. But I don't see any indication of the people in charge making any decisions based on astrology. The common people might, but I don't know for sure. The astrologers would be inclined--or threatened to--say whatever the king wants, but they'd probably be inclined to do the same for commoners, who might still beat up or ostracize unpopular astrologers.
In worldbuilding, what would make astrology more influential?

I'm working on something set in prehistoric times, but I didn't want any fantasy elements. I've thought of some interesting things that could be happening without the involvement of wizards, dragons, magic crystals, etc.

So, astrology isn't real in this society I'm building, but people still take it seriously. But how would things have to be different for it to be more influential than in the real-world histories I've read?

Thanks.

I'd suggest for it to be taken seriously, and to be influential, it has to have some successes -- or at least failures it can explain -- and preferably a ruler who believes in it without reservation, so those under him/her accept it as well.

The key to successful prophecy is to make things ambiguous eg the "Trust in your wooden walls" from the oracle at Delphi, which could have been interpreted as trusting to the city's wooden stockade or to its navy in its forthcoming battles.

Astrology was hugely influential through European history at the very least. Any ruler worth their salt took the stars into consideration with regards to their activities. It was prevalent at all levels of society, but nobles might have personal astrologers - hired only to accomodate them.

Even in prehistoric times, stars were of key importance - their cycles were an integral part of the agricultural calendar, something difficult to relate to for us modern secularists.

In other words, astrology was always there in ancient and mediaeval societies - but most modern fantasy writers struggle to deal with non-secular issues relating to spirituality and religion. Hence why most fantasy characters only give lip-service to any form of belief - when really, they would regard their lives as dependent on the smallest whims of fortune - if they were realistic to the period.

Hi,

Actually there's a long and ignoble history of leaders, even inthe 20th century, consulting astrologers. How much of their decision making was based on what they were told no one knows.

Rasputin was a faith healer / holy man to Tsar Nicholas the second. Karl Krafft was the astrologer who predicted Hitler's birthday and so became his favourite advisor, and later also became the astrologer to much of the third reich. He spent his days during WWII studying Nostradamus. And Joan Quigley was the astrologer to the Raegan Whitehouse - mostly Nancy if you believe the press.

Cheers, Greg.