British scifi/horror/ fantasy?

teen

I've read all the usual suspects....Wyndham, Machen, James and others, but I'd love to find some contemporary writers who set their works in the UK. I love Christopher Fowler's books and also some Neil Gaiman. Scifi would be my preference, but I'm very open minded! All suggestions much appreciated....

Well, there is me... Hairy London is set in London; Memory Seed is set in a very far-future Wales. Urbis Morpheos is set mostly in Britain. All available as books and ebooks.

The free-festival Hallucinating is set all over Britain, with the landscape an important part of the novel, but that is a book for musos only...

I like the fact that Peter F. Hamilton has some of his characters living in Dalston, London in the Night's Dawn Trilogy (Just down the road from me!) and a fair bit of it is set in future London. He is of course all over the universe with the that work, so it might not be your cup of tea. I read somewhere he wrote a SF novel with some of it set in Peterborough, but I don't know what that work is.

In terms of horror, both Clive Barker and Ramsey Campbell wrote stories with a specifically English setting. I also remember a book by someone called Joe Donnelly about magic in Scotland, but I'm not sure if it was much good. And Christopher Priest and J.G. Ballard have set several books in the UK.

Isn't Ocean at the End of the lane based in England? Neverwhere certainly is. Jonathon
Strange and Mr Norrell is. Phillip Pullman?

Alan Garner sets his in the UK. Peter F Hamilton definitely does - Great North Road is in the north, I think. James Herbert had most of his horror based in England, I think. There are some recent fantasy books set in Ulster by Laurence Donaghy - Folk'd and its sequel but I haven't read them yet.

If I ever get my Ulster ones published.... *sigh, dream*

british sci fi and fantasy? that's easy.
ben aaronovitch
benedict jacka
Christopher g nuttall
simon r. green
charles stross
daniel omalley
Stephen lawhead
steve mchugh

Thanks all. I've got lots of Campbell and Barker,but have to say they aren't my favourites....love JG Ballard! There is quite a lot to have a go at here!

I would suggest Mark Samuels who has published a couple of short story collections. He is a great contemporary author of weird fiction.

I presume you will have already tried Christopher Priest?

Michael Moorcock. Fantasy and SF: Hawkmoon, Corum, Cornelius (60s London), etc etc.
Lloyd Alexander Chronicles of Prydain
Most things by Diana Wynne Jones
Doomsday Book and To Say Nothing of the Dog Connie Willis
The Saliva Tree Brian Aldiss
Various China Mieville

You need to be a bit more explicit about the "usual suspects"

Roof world by Christopher Fowler. Probably not genre but it's very enjoyable.

I love this book, one I reread happily. Not keen on Moorcock, of its time I think. Usual suspects were Priest, Moorcock, Aldiss, Christopher, and others who aren't springing to mind! Youv'e given me lots to think about.

The Somnambulist by Jonathan Barnes; historical fantasy/horror, well done.

Randy M.

The Somnambulist by Jonathan Barnes; historical fantasy/horror, well done.

Randy M.
There was a sequel - The Domino Men set many years later with only two characters from the first book. Not heard anything of him since.