5.04: The Walking Dead - Slabtown

ctg

weaver of the unseen
"[There is] a whole group of other survivors, but what looks safe and nice on the outside has a bit of a dark side."

TJvOWj2.jpg

I feel a word "bitch" is going to be said few times in this episode. Also note that this episode has absolutely nothing to do with the comic, so expect it to be a special treat. :love:

Episode 4 "Slabtown" was slow paced but it picks up toward the end of the episode. It introduced us to a new and interesting group and finally revealed what happened to Beth. Nice to see Tyler James Williams show up as Noah. Not sure why Officer Dawn slapped Beth but she seems a bit crazy. Glad to see Officer Goreman get eaten. Beth really stepped up during the escape scenes. Nice to see her character finally have a backbone. The preview for next week looked good. It also looks like they are going to keep the reveal of who was with Daryl a mystery for a little longer.

I agree it was slow paced, but slow paced doesn't mean that it's necessarily a bad thing as tension comes in many different forms. Sometimes a slow burn can create some of the most tedious things in the universe, just like it did in this case. So it was fitting that the first music score in this season came for Beth, who is the one of the only musicians in the Rick's band. The song they'd chosen her came from an indie band called Kiev:

And the truth is admit it or not that she ended up in a bad place. A place, where truth is a second hand commodity and all those who seek it will suffer horribly, be it being tossed down in the elevator shaft or getting beaten black by the people in blue. Why they became like that isn't an easy thing to swallow, especially as the audience knows that the police should be serving the people and not acting like slavers. Then again considering what they have become in last decade what they were doing in the episode isn't very far stretch from forming a line in the parking and executing people in plain sight of the civilians. After they might be thinking that since they'd been granted a license to carry a firearm and serve justice they can do anything; starting from lying in the face and ending up forcing people to become their slaves. And that is only one step below from Gareth's cannibals, but since they were lying straight from the beginning I would put in same pedestal without giving them any sort of special price for what they've done to the people.

Rick, to be honest, is the only lawgiver in the series that has acted true to his shield or at least that's what he tried to do at the very beginning, when he rode in the Atlanta while wearing his uniform. But he didn't acting under a delusion that everything was getting back in order as soon as the Authorities come back to wipe of the undead menace from the ground. Simply the truth in his mind is that they aren't coming back any time soon no matter what Eugene has been feeding to Abraham. They simply cannot do that as there is no government, no system other than anarchy and all those things that are derived from it.

So, to me, it wasn't a surprise, when Beth chose to withheld the truth from officer Dawn, after she'd pulled her a side and said she's a weak from trying to slash her wrists. That bitch didn't even try to find out why she'd tried to do. Instead she just drew her own conclusions and thought that she knows everything. In fact, I felt a bit sick when she suggested to Beth that she should be obedient and give officer Gorman some honey, just because they'd saved her from the "biters." What is wrong with these people? I don't know but I was glad to see the episode ending with a glimmer of hope, while Blind Willie Jonson sang classic song of "It's nobody fault but mine."

I thought it was pretty cool that the doctor was listening to Junior Kimbrough. This show has always played excellent music. I remember Beth singing Tom Waits in season 2.

Soo glad to get Beth back in the story.

It is interesting you stay that, because back in the day when Beth was still in the farm, I predicted that she's going to get it. But ever since she hooked with Daryl and started accepting that she can survive in the zombies, Beth has been like a totally different person. How they knew straight from the beginning that she has partial medically trained background due to Hershel being her dad, I don't know, and I would be really interested to know how they sniffed it out?

Last season I enjoyed her and Daryl's part because She was still weak one, one that hadn't maybe accepted her fate yet. We've seen Carol and Carl become fighters, Rick become a Bad*** Leader and all the others Glenn, Maggie, Daryl as hard core survivors. With Beth still tagging along, but now after that scene of her saving and helping Noah escape. Taking on more walkers then she's ever dealt with before, She's right up there with Carol as BAMF of the Series.
How they knew straight from the beginning that she has partial medically trained background
I thought she said "I can help" when they were operating on Joan? When they lopped off her hand.

I didn't get the impression that Beth gave away her background as a vet's daughter. She was trying to get out of the room when the amputation was happening - probably remembering her father's "stumpening"...

Overall this was a bit of a slow burner, quite disconcerting to have a whole new cast but the characters were interesting and Gorman definitely got what he deserved. His lollipop assault (those aren't words I'd ever imagine going together) was super-creepy and his card was marked but I wasn't sure he'd die in the same episode.

It was kinda ridiculous that it took her so long to notice the dead body in the office though. And then she stood right next to the dead girl's face - inviting a bite! Gorman also didn't notice the body when he had Beth up against the desk!

Adding Carol to the mix is cool.. they won't know what's hit them when she's up and about.

I now reckon Noah is Daryl's mystery guest - he must have been nearby when Carol was picked up? But getting out of the city without knowing routes must be pretty much impossible really?

I thought this was the best episode of the series yet (Yeah, I know only been 4 episodes yet.) Soo glad to get Beth back in the story.
I also enjoyed the different scene and change in pace. I have doubts that given what we have seen, that such a hospital floor set-up could survive on such low numbers of people - the doctor, Noah and Beth are basically non-producing members. The two police are out on the road, so who tends the vegetable garden and guinea pig farm, who defends against the basement, who works the electricity supply?
I didn't get the impression that Beth gave away her background as a vet's daughter. She was trying to get out of the room when the amputation was happening - probably remembering her father's "stumpening"...
Great insight! I think so too.
Not sure why Officer Dawn slapped Beth but she seems a bit crazy.
I thought she hit her with a photo frame with a photo of Dawn and Gorman. I got the impression they were husband and wife. Dawn obviously wore the trousers in the relationship and probably allowed Gorman's little indiscretions in return.
Adding Carol to the mix is cool.. they won't know what's hit them when she's up and about.

I now reckon Noah is Daryl's mystery guest - he must have been nearby when Carol was picked up? But getting out of the city without knowing routes must be pretty much impossible really?
Again, I think you are spot on there.

I thought she hit her with a photo frame with a photo of Dawn and Gorman. I got the impression they were husband and wife. Dawn obviously wore the trousers in the relationship and probably allowed Gorman's little indiscretions in return.

Been a week since I watched this, but I'm pretty sure that the photo wasn't her and Gorman, but rather her and the previous captain/leader (who was mentioned as having lost it, or something?). My understanding was that the cops were there to evacuate, so I found it strange that she'd have a personal photo with her, although maybe she went and fetched it on a run...

Been a week since I watched this, but I'm pretty sure that the photo wasn't her and Gorman, but rather her and the previous captain/leader (who was mentioned as having lost it, or something?).

I believe you are correct, Cul. I'm fairly sure there was a note on the picture that mentioned the other dude's name, the previous leader (can't remember if there was a caption within the photo, or a sticky on the frame). Dawn seems really unstable, and I think her smashing Beth was her coming back to her (lost) self after drifting mentally for awhile when Beth confronted her.

I really thought this was a terrific episode/change of pace. But that said I am a little frustrated that our gang has been split up again...I know it's necessary at the moment for plot reasons, but just as a personal choice I prefer to see them all together; that's a selfish thing...I really like this group of people, and when they are clustered together they are collectively much safer (though not perfectly safe of course...I was very sad at Bob's fate, I'd really grown to like him). CC

Okay, thanks for correcting that.

One thing I didn't mention was how have they ended up in Atlanta again when they have been trying to walk North for as long as I can remember?
(Beth I could understand, but Carol, and if Daryl's friend is Noah the others must still be close.)

TWD's map of Georgia is pretty much one big circlular road along with a couple of dirt tracks and some plot-friendly railway. All roads lead to Rome, etc!

Someone somewhere mentioned that this hospital is close to the Interstate, so in theory there could be relatively easy access if the road is clear (pretty big if). Lets presume Daryl & Carol followed the cross car back to the hospital without being spotted, then figured out that the only way in was to play injured - maybe they saw the officers picking up the other Doctor or someone. Daryl is therefore lurking nearby and sees Noah escape & takes him back to the group to prepare a full assault on the hospital in an upcoming episode...