Recent Book

Boneman

I read the first chapter or so, but cannot recall if that was in Waterstones (which is my usual modus operandi) or whether it was pasted at the back of another book, but this would have been within the last year, maybe 18 months.

A guy keeps reincarnating into the same body, same situation, and he remembers it all. At some stage someone (possibly ethereal) tells him he has to fix something pretty major - it may be he has to prevent an apocalyptic scenario, but not totally sure of that. At one point he tells his wife, who I think was a psychiatrist or doctor about it, telling her pretty convincing things that are going to happen, which do, but she can't take it.

Was much better than the Time Traveller's Wife, and even in the short extract I read, was building intrigue and tension very well.

I'd be really grateful if anyone can help, really looking forward to reading it.

Many thanks.

Not familiar with the book, but the premise sounds very similar to that recent Tom Cruise film. The title of which I also cannot remember [in my defence, I've only seen a review of it].

That film is Oblivion thad :)

Can't think of the book BM but it does ring a bell, I'll have a think.

Hmm. I think it was Edge of Tomorrow, but you're right that Cruise (who must be getting old) had memory problems in the other film as well. I was wondering if the former might be based on a book.

It sounds a bit like Ken Grimwood's "Replay" - but that's not a recent book.

Ah my bad, so many terrrible bloomin tom cruise films, you are right. Film form of 'all you need is kill' (japanese book) I think. Oblivion was unpubbed graphic novels made by the director.
This is why I don't do tom cruise films - they all meld into one big mush of not great films with a big overarching title!

All You Need Is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka is the book for Edge of Tomorrow movie.

The book is quite different from the movie and I recommend it; though I do not recall a spouse involved in the story so if his having a wife is a deal breaker then we need to keep looking.

James Smythe - No Harm Can Come to a Good Man - seems to fit loosely in this sort of shape...

Oh, my mother in law left that book for me at the weekend. She got a bit bored of it but isn't a genre lover and said the beginning was great. I'll move it up the tbr mountain that's blocking the sun from the house....

Hah wow, my OH got that for me for my birthday (along with lots of other books) just haven't got around to reading it yet!

Back