A cautionary tale: An author confronts her #1 critic

Perhaps, TE, but if she behaves like this, I think I'd be a reader to never want to purchase anything with her name on it.

But were you planning to buy her books before the controversy?

Perhaps more importantly she may have alienated editors, publishers, and agents who don't want to be associated with the creepy things she did, and wouldn't want to put up with her unprofessional behavior. Between that and alienating reviewers (I doubt they'll be lining up to review her next book!) and the readers she'll have lost, it could add up to a serious problem.

So while the publicity might be good for this book, it could be very bad indeed for future books and her long-term career. If she has one after all this.

I haven't heard of her before this, admittedly. But I would guess there might have been a chance to come across her in a shop somewhere and take a look. Now I know I won't.

Yeah, behavior like this isn't good for anyone.

didn't read the guardian article. waded through the ones hex posted.
have read a boak of k.hale's.
i didn'tbuy it,read it in twentyfive minutes while i was waiting at a shopping centre.
it was not the book mentioned though.
three things.
were i to take almost eight months to read a book, as did the reviewer,
i would not really follow the thread of the story and lose the nuances of association, making inferences that weren't there. much as when we haven't seen a movie in a while we cannot remember the plot details but fill them in ourselves, and often faultily.
the emotional impact of the story is often exaggerated or lost over time.

were i to recieve a review from someone that used profanity instead of adjectives i would instantly deminish the worth and even impact of said review, as emanating from a person with small facilty for the english language, and therefore no real value from a balanced critical perspective. i think the reviewer saying screw this book, (in other choice words used) and illustrating his or her point with a video of elmo committing suicide, would fall under this.

thirdly, were it true that the reviewer felt it necessary to travel to my hometown and interview my nieghbours, taking photos, to be able to post online derogatory comments, i would take it somewhat amiss,being made a social pariah in my place of residence.
but as my dad told me when i was ten;
there are many wars out there, but none of us can win all of them. you cannot control other peoples actions. you can only condem or condone them and ignorant behavior is best met with dignified silence.

lastly i will comment upon the book i did read. it wasn't bad. a little mickey spillane for the genre and not something that i would add to my library, but i am not its intended audience. while it was not wearing lace gloves, neither was it untrue to the current situations facing young adults today. enough said.

I don't think the reviewer traveled to the author's home town, did she? (I scanned through The Guardian article again and the author makes no such suggestion, though I'm sure she would if there was any evidence it had happened). It was the author who stalked the reviewer, including -- if she is to be believed (good point, TJ) -- getting a plane [EDIT: actually renting a car. Tut. My dodgy reading skills.] so that she could turn up on the woman's doorstep (and she got her home address because she lied to a book club and said she wanted Blythe Harris to write the review).

Must go get kids ready for school (bad mother!!!!) but I thought this was interesting:

http://alex-hurst.com/2014/10/21/kathleen-hale-vs-blythe-harris/

Last edited:
Author stalking the reviewer, yes.

Just deplorable behavior. I really don't know if I can say any more on it. Gives authors a bad name. Hehe. Maybe I should consider myself lucky in some ways I haven't really tried to get any of my work out yet.

I know where half of you live.... Nice comments only, please. ;) :D

Seriously, though, if you get published it's a professional arena. You tow the line, like in any other walk of life. I don't stalk someone who chooses a competitor's service over mine, or who might slate a training course. I deal with it, move on, and paste a smile on my face. Atrocious behaviour and trying to explain it away in the Guardian article makes it even scarier because she's trying to say that it's normal to become so obsessed and something that just, you know, kind of happened...

I think it's a good example of how not to behave. If we ever do get published, let's make a pact to moan about nasty reviews on here (maybe Brian can find us a quiet, private corner to do it in) and not to do anything awful.

the author traveled to see the reviewer after the reviewer twitter feed pics of her neighbors and pets, the author recieved a copy of a rental car info that was rented in her town by the reviewer. or so the link you listed has people saying about the deleted twitter feed.
i don't know. i am not into socialmedia..
personally i think they both were acting immaturely and unprofessionally.
the reviewer should never have posted a review about a book it took so long to read. they should have passed upon that assignment.
and the author should have made a list of the readers sticking points then considered it for the next one.
neither of them has displayed anything close to normal behaviour.
both have obsessive traits, and your borderline personality conflicts showing with their slip ups.
very scary people...

Last edited:
the author traveled to see the reviewer after the reviewer twitter feed pics of her neighbors and pets, the author recieved a copy of a rental car info that was rented in her town by the reviewer. or so the link you listed has people saying about the deleted twitter feed.
i don't know. i am not into socialmedia..
personally i think they both were acting immaturely and unprofessionally.
the reviewer should never have posted a review about a book it took so long to read. they should have passed upon that assignment.
and the author should have made a list of the readers sticking points then considered it for the next one.

My husband regularly takes months to read a book. It's because he pays attention. Anyway, a reviewer can write what they like. They are the audience. People can walk out of Waiting for Godot and say nothing happened whilst another can get to the end and call it a marvel of wit and satire. A reader can say it took me eight months to read the book because it didn't hold my attention.

I think it's a good example of how not to behave.

I think this was essentially what I said in my first reply to this topic.

Personally, even though I am most often cynical about things, I actually do believe some good comes from even the worst of events-if nothing else, it's a lesson to those later down the road. The most terrible example being the Holocaust...

i know springs, i do that too, a.s. blyatt's possession, i have been reading for eight years... but the author in question writes like mickey spillane. or a skinny robert heinlien. nobody reads those for eight months. the reader was dreading each chapter. and probably only read one a month.
thats what she put in her precis of chapter breakdowns.
i don't know if goodreads assigns novels or how the process works, but she was about as enthuisiastic to read them as i was twilight.
and twilight was exactly what i expected. just that. good forr others butnot my cup of tea.
i have done reviews before for the library system. they way they had it was you passed on the book to a different reviewer if you hated it.

Last edited:
I must say that there's not yet been a book I've dreaded to read but had to.

There's only been books that I regretted reading afterwards. Catcher in the Rye, Lord of the Flies...Gift of the Magi, though I suppose that is really only a short story, the premise holds. I'm rather glad I never got to the Great Gatsby. I was bored out of my mind from the movie I saw.

Honestly, though, I don't understand things like that. Why put yourself through what one outside would consider torture if you don't absolutely have to? Especially for a two-word review like that...

I think this was essentially what I said in my first reply to this topic.

It was, and I agree.

I suppose one isn't obliged to read books one doesn't enjoy -- I don't tend to, and the reviewer in question only read about a third of the book before abandoning it.

But, equally, people are allowed to have whatever opinion they want. We might prefer it if everyone conducted themselves like Victorian ladies (or perhaps not) but people don't. If you hate something, and it's published, you can assume that it's available for criticism -- indeed, since the reviewer had actually received an ARC of the story, you'd imagine she was obliged to write a review. And in fact, she said lots of nice things as well -- especially about the beginning.

But what it comes down to is that you (in the general sense) cannot use someone's failure of manners/ use of naughty words in a review as an excuse to to behave badly (and madly). Quite apart from anything else, it makes you look like an idiot and also, it clearly indicates you don't get many reviews/ readers.

I have often said that I don't like GRRM's books but he hasn't turned up on my doorstep or phoned me at work to put me right. It's possible, even, that he has better things to do than trawl the internet looking for negative comments on his work.

Last edited:
I know of one other author (a biggy, as it happens) who turns on those who criticise him pretty badly, to the point where prople have been forced to take down reviews, even fairly benign ones. Because he is published and popular there's rarely an outcry about his behaviour (or if there is, his legions of fans turn on those outcrying) but it's there, in the background, when you do a light search. As far as I can tell it causes the author more angst (he certainly seems a very angry chap, and I've had a few interactions with him which have evidenced this) than anyone else. I think it must be a form of torture, paying attention to what's being said about you.

Suffice to say, I don't read his books. I also, though, don't publicly rub against him for fear of a backlash. Or name him in a post like this. So perhaps the behaviour is working...

It's a shame. But unavoidable, given that everything here on the Chrons is public.

I've read a few comments on Amazon from a quite well-known SF author responding to a negative review, and it really did make him seem b*****t bonkers. I had no prior knowledge of him or his books (I was sent the link by a friend) but the main thing I took from it was "Why would I expect his writing to be any less idiotic that his behaviour?" Hence, no chance of a sale, ever. It's wildly self-defeating.

Thank you Hex! I had an big bout of curiosity on who HB and Springs were talking about - but that list has sated my desire. Let sleeping dogs lie now.

Some of the stories, on what was presented, really had some scary authors.

Not related to novel writers, it reminds me of the recent 'spats' that happened with Simon Pegg, Graham Linehan and Noel Fielding. I shan't post the article (but if you were to type all three names in full in Google, the article right at the top 'Comedians using their fans for coordinated...' is an account from someone who is/has been upset by these people/fans. It is his side, so he is of course painting his side best - quite eloquently, but the comments contain a lively discussion with quite a few responding against him in a similar manner, so overall its more balanced if you have the time to read it!)

However it quickly dissolves into a murky byzantine labyrinth of insult and count-insult, accusation and counter-accusation and really, and no side comes out of it clean.