Paul Di Filippo reviews Norman Spinrad

J-Sun

Awhile back, I said
Still - even leaving aside that he's also written brilliant criticism and been President of the SFWA and edited an anthology or two and accomplished other things in the SF and literary fields - for Bug Jack Barron, The Iron Dream, Riding the Torch, The Void Captain's Tale, and most of the stories in Last Hurrah and No Direction Home, and other lesser but excellent works, he'd have my vote for (a now overdue) Grand Master.

And I've said the same things in emails to SF types. So it's obviously nice to read this (despite hating the term "fantastika"):
Paul Di Filippo said:
Whenever discussion turns to candidates for the next SFWA Grandmaster Award, the name of one author who is fully entitled to such a distinction is notably missing. I refer to Norman Spinrad. After a career that began in 1963—that’s fifty-plus years and counting, folks—and which includes epochal work during the seminal New Wave movement; a continuing stream of top-notch, impassioned, always varied novels and stories thereafter; two stints as SFWA President; and a wealth of critical essays that have helped to elucidate the intellectual and narrative storyspace occupied by fantastika—well, one would think such credits would render the possessor a shoe-in for the honor.

But giving Norman Spinrad the Grandmaster title would be like sitting the court jester on the throne; like taking a rebel leader from the jungle and putting him in the Presidential palace; like making Mother Teresa the Pope. Institutions would be upended, black would be white, and hogs would grow pinions.

Although, come to think of it, this barrier of propriety and conventionality has already been busted with the annointment of Harlan Ellison, a coeval bombthrower and gadfly. So what is SFWA waiting for?

A question with no good answer. Let's get a move-on, SFWA - show you're still good for something.

Anyway - the rest of the article reviews a small novella/essay/interview collection from a small press. I'm not sure if Spinrad is riffing Heinlein or Sartre or both but it sounds interesting. I just thought some folks might find the article interesting and if some folks are not completely familiar with Spinrad, maybe this would turn them on to him.

Um, that does happen these days. And have you seen the new Pope? :)

Yeah, it does happen but I think he was speaking of propriety rather than possibility. :) (My favorite was the court jester on the throne reference.) I'm not sure Spinrad cares - he might want a Nobel or something instead - but I think he really ought to be on the roster of the GMs.