Does anyone use Caliber?

Tyburn

Terrorastrian
I work nights, write days, proud human to five cat
I have a question, not really sure where to ask.
I use Caliber e-book management program, and was wondering if it's possible to insert images into the text - if I place the image in the .RTF file when putting it together, will it come up in the correct place in the finished product (as it were) when converted to e-book format?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Use HTML as source.
Most Wordprocessing can export HTML (Select 120dpi if using MS Word). Then you can even have a character height image in a line of text.

I've used Calibre and Mobi creator
I prefer Mobi Creator.

It will do it the way you describe - using RTF - though in my experience it doesn't always get it in quite the right place. However I haven't done any conversions involving images for a year or two now so it may very well be better at it now :)

Calibre has a lot of flexibility; but like with everything else you may have to RTF-M or in this case browse through the help files to understand how everything works in order to force it to correctly apply.

I've not used images; but have used the RTF files to achieve the smoothest transition.

I do know that when working with MS Word and saving as html there are a couple of choices and it's often like choosing between a sand-trap and quicksand.

I suppose a few experiments with choices would tell me what is what.

Honestly though I mostly use Amazon or Smashwords for conversion and that would involve following their rules for formating.

I do occasionally put together something for Goodreads or for ARC's and that is when I use Calibre.

I do all my proof reading on a real kindle and my test readers use a mix of real kindle, Mobi Reader and Kindle App (on phone, Tablet and PC).
With Word 2003 you have to change loads of default options in different places (but the settings are saved if you save as .doc) then save As and pick "filtered HTML". Open Office and Libre Office work too, but may do different things with character set / language.

HTML can be edited, which is handy.

Also you can use Komposer (free) or website editor that accepts copy & paste from Word to get HMTL. Most eBook formats are internally a database, CSS, HTML and images in one file. The exported images may need to be manually copied to any ebook creator "book" folder. I separately create the cover image.

I tried and failed to use Calibre, it was fine for simple paragraphs, but when I wanted indented lists with differing right-hand margins then my world went to mush (in a bad way).

I do images in EPUB using Sigil, as I can get the images exactly where I want them that way. But you have to be able to edit HTML and know something about EPUB format. I feel it's work the learning for self publishers.

Back