Open world historical/fantasy games?

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Are there any other historical/fantasy open world games out there, similar to Skyrim or Oblivion, or with an historical ancient/mediaeval world?

Any recommendations welcome. :)

Not out yet and it's disputable, but Dragon Age: Inquisition (out 21 November in the UK) may fit the bill. There are discrete locations, so you can't wander everywhere, however, the locations are reportedly massive (it's been said many times that a particular one, not the largest) is bigger than the whole of Dragon Age: Origins, and there's been a drive to make exploring a large part of the game.

Pre-release, so that may prove an exaggeration, but I've pre-ordered and will complain, or not, about how well it fits the hype.

Edited extra bit: not played either, but I believe Two Worlds II and Kingdoms of Amalur are both open world fantasy RPGs.

Last edited:
I can always extend this to RPG's - the other half's looking at The Witcher 3, as this time it'll be available on Playstation.

Meanwhile, I'm watching to get Ryse on the PC, after Christmas.

Just would have thought there'd be more like Oblivion/Skyrim out there.

Culhwch, bah, I feel like a fool now. As well as a prettier version of Inquisition, Kingdom Come: Deliverance is the only game that makes me want a PS4. Surprised and annoyed I forgot it.

I played Age of Reckoning: Kingdoms of Amalur all the way through. You could call it an open world, but there's no reason whatsover to return to an area once you've done it's quests. AOR:KOA is a single player version of WOW. Upon character creation, you could head straight for Blackrock Mountain, but that's instant death... and once you're level ten, there's absolutely no reason to return to Goldshire, unless you want to spazz out with all the idiots online. AOR:KOA is also a fighting game... combo attacks galore. If you want a minimum of 70 hours worth of game (upwards of 200), don't want to subscribe online, don't want to deal with griefers, do want to see the boss fights without being in a guild, and/or want to find a game for $10, then it's the game for you. But if you want a story, then look elsewhere.

Back