DISCUSSION -- October 2014 75 Word Challenge

I think your having far too much fun with reviews this month Starbeast and thank you for mine. Almost as scary as the original story.
Right, I'm off the read and decide.

Thanks for the reviews victoria and starbeast, good stuff from everyone too, well done. I dont often get the time to do the challenges sadly.

I think people enjoyed this theme a little too much.

Anyway, mentions as follows.

Juliana (a good start), Remedy, Ashleyne (very weird but effective), Telford, HB, Chrispy, DOE, BigJ and the Judge.
I was split between Starbeast and Phyrebrat, but a scary hoover is hard to beat.

Usual caveat. All great but ...
Honorable mentions (all sooo close to the money):
Juliana - AB Watts - Martin - Hex - Chrispy - Teresa - Beasty - Jastius - Johnnyjet - Culhwch - Boney - Parson and TJ.
And the winner is ... Harebrain (by a short paw). Clever and creepy, in the best possible way.

There were lots of good stories this month, making it pretty difficult to choose. Anyway, here is my shortlist and *vote*:

ratsy - All Hallows' Eve
*Victoria Silverwolf* - Holowe'en
Starbeast - Iracund Cthulhu Wrought Up
Mr Orange - Things that go BUMP in the night.
Phyrebrat - Good Housekeeping
Parson - A Rose by Another Name
The Judge - Room with a Wooo

By the way, I stuck my disallowed one up on my blog if anyone's interested. I think, on balance, it was a good thing it was disallowed - details in the blog. (Mysterious music playing in the background...)

Starbeast: Thanks so much for the review. "A campfire tale." Sat around a good many campfires but I can't ever remember telling scary stories there. :cautious:

Telford: Thanks for the mention, a great way to start the day.

Martin 321: A second mention?! my day is definitely made.

This was a great month for stories, and I had a hard time picking a winner. Firstly, honourable mentions to Remedy, Robert Mackay, farntfar, Tywin, mosaix, Culhwch and The Judge, and my runners up were ratsy and Parson, with my vote going to Quellist.:)

Well done all!(y)

Thank you so much for the shortlist Martin321 and thanks Talysia for the Runner-Up.

I still have to read through all the stories again before any decisions

woohoo it's friday

My vote goes to "You Can Look Now..." by mosaic.

Runners-up (no particular order):

"Ripley's Believe It or Not..". by Perpetual Man
"Though It Have No Tongue" by Teresa Edgerton
"Explorers:" by Lukethebloody

This was a great month for stories, and I had a hard time picking a winner. Firstly, honourable mentions to Remedy, Robert Mackay, farntfar, Tywin, mosaix, Culhwch and The Judge, and my runners up were ratsy and Parson, with my vote going to Quellist.:)

Well done all!(y)

Woah! A vote, thank you so much Talysia! You have made my day :) ( vote coming soon, its my 5th wedding aniversary and Mrs Quellist would be most unhappy if i spend ages reading forum posts!)

johnnyjet -- The author explores the nature of fear and the unexpected ways it may appear in this taut little tale.

Lukethebloody -- Even in an exotic setting, human nature remains the same, as this sharp fable reminds us.

StilLearning -- This heartbreaking meditation reminds us that the things which do not happen can be as tragic as those which do.

Bowler1 -- This fresh treatment of a classic theme is sure to stir the emotions of the reader.

jastius -- The author creates a new myth in this darkly poetic story.

mosaix -- This eerie encounter presents a chilling situation from an unexpected viewpoint.

alchemist -- This sly tale serves as a warning that the universe holds many surprises for us.

jotun913 -- In a vivid glimpse of a terrible situation, the author shows us that some dilemmas have no good solution.

Boneman -- By presenting an ordinary situation in a new way, this tale shows us that wonder dwells everywhere.

Ursa major -- By combining an imaginative look at mythic themes with clever wordplay, the author creates a treat for the reader.

BigJ -- The elements of a classic tale of terror are used to spring a playfully naughty joke in this witty story.

DavidEvilOverlord -- The author makes use of the trappings of dark fantasy to spin us a merry spoof.

Quellist -- A gruesome horror story builds to to an unexpected conclusion in this creative tale.
Thank you Victoria and Starbeast for your words. Being my first time I was afraid it would not stand up to the likes of your and others on here. So many talented writers.

Last edited:
So much brilliance this month. I loved (in utterly random as-they-occur-to-me order, with shortest of short lists in bold) Teresa's (urgh!), HareBrain's (eeeeeek! aww!), Cul's (argh!), Juliana's (neat!), mosaix's (argh! shuddery!), Victoria's (amazing), Cat's Cradle's (funny and twisty), WinterLight's (MurderBallady), martin321's (voicey!), Darkchrome's (stilts! depth! in 75 words!), Mr Orange's (funny! '“Ghoulie, right?” Pronounced Julie. French, I think.' was brilliant) and TDZ's (aaaaargh!).

But even if the story hadn't been so funny and brilliant, I might have voted for TJ just for the title. Room with a Woo. Makes me laugh every time.

_____

Thank you very much for the mentions, telford and Cat's Cradle!

Talysia --- Runner-up?! Cool!! Thanks.

-----

Shortlist:

Karn --- "The True Legend of Sleepy Hallow" --- Nice twist on an old story
Telford --- "Househunting" --- This ending surprised me a lot.
Chrispenycate --- "Yea Though I Walk" --- Through the valley of the shadow of death -- Cool idea
Phyrebrat --- "Good Housekeeping" --- Another big surprise at the end
Alchemist --- "Unwanted Visitors" --- Unwanted indeed.

The Judge --- "Room With a Woo" --- Clever! Clever!
Ursa Major --- "Lap of the Gods" ---What a pun!!
Boneman --- "Fair Enough" --- This made me Laugh! *Winner*

Back