DISCUSSION -- October 2014 75 Word Challenge

Harpo -- Through the use of a repeated phrase, the author creates the helpless feeling of a nightmare.

Culhwch -- This frightening tale captures the childhood fears we all share.

Perpetual Man -- The vivid writing style of this variation on a famous story adds to the impact of its punch line.

Parson -- The author creates a new and imaginative terror to haunt the reader.

I'm in. I really wanted to do terribly scary, but it turns out I don't have a scary bone in my body. (And anyone who thinks different will find a very large pointy sword riffling sweetly through his or her vitals.)

Victoria.... Thanks for the kind words. Since I do not read or watch anything that would normally be classified as horror or terror I had no idea that it was a new idea.

T.E. --- I'm very sure you don't have a "scary bone" in your body. :eek:

TheDustyZebra -- What might seem at first to be an ordinary situation is given a shocking twist in this carefully constructed tale.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This was an extremely difficult month for voting. I kept reading the stories over and over, and could not make up my mind. So many people here were so good at creating spine-chillers, or parodies of them. At last I had to make my decision based on an original interpretation of the theme.

The vote goes to "Explorers" by Lukethebloody.

October 75
"Things That Go BUMP In The Night"

(part 4 - the last 13 and more)

Johnnyjet - Ahh, spiders. How I love those eight-legged, multieyed beauties. You weaved them a grim goodie, serving up revenge, cold and ready to bite from beyond.

Lukethebloody - Humans are the aliens on a far away planet, and they have fun with the indigenous fauna. Mu-ha ha ha ha. I believe those Earth men have created that planet's first sport.

StilLearning - Demons are like monkeys, you can't trust them. Wonderfully dark tale of woe, narrated by a lonely lover with a squished heart.

Bowler1 - The blackness of night always returns, but so do the drinkers of blood. Effectively creepy offering that flutters like a silent bat, then you feel it crawling on your neck.

Jastius - An eerie ghostly tale of spirits who continue their fun, with daning and laughter, at midnight. Spooky and marvelously written, with blood red ink.

Mosaix - Unseen horror creatures, are always more frightening, especially when they are closing in on you. Don't look now, Mosaix may be standing behind you. Mu-ha ha ha ha.

Alchemist - I love a good science fiction story, and this one rockets us into terror. Humans are given a shocking warning during a space mission. The aliens seem to know our kind, very well. Heh heh.

Jotun913 - Life can be complicated for humans, and blood monsters too. This chilling story is an intense pursuit for revenge. Hmm, I guess they won't be exchanging gifts this year. Very cool.

Boneman - Excellent, slithering offering, that leads the reader to an unexpected thrill ride, a carnival ride. I hope the lines aren't long, because I'd like to go around with this one again. Wheeeeeee!

Ursa Major - Ooo, this is a savory treat in this month's Halloween bag that took me by surprise. Heh heh, cute little devils. Hey Apollo. Open the door, it's me Rocky.

BigJ - You got me grinning with the final line. Oh man. Better call Ghostbusters immediately, otherwise you'll be cleaning up a great deal of ecto plasm on a weekly basis. Eek.

David Evil Overlord - All right! Another great installment of McDarkElf's fast food joint. Fan-freaking-tastic! I'll take two double cheese burgers to go please.

Quellist - Entertainingly cool tale about a horrid creature from the blackest pits of hell, that goes Trick-or-Treating. I love it.

Harpo - Remember, unseen beings from beyond, can not speak, but they do communicate. Two knocks for "yes", and one knock for "no". So try to teach them Morse Code. Heh heh. Delicious dialogue.

Culhwch - Whoa. You made the back of my neck hair stand straight up. Great, now I can trim them, thanks. Nicely written creepy story.

Perpetual Man - In space, no one can hear you scream in delight. Superb sci-fi fun and frightful treat. Keep your eye on Ash, he doesn't play nice.

Parson - Terrific Halloween treat, with the Trick, being the Treat. This reads like a wonderful campfire scary tale Well done sir.

The Judge - Oh my goodness. Is it hot in here, or just me? Spectacular spiciness heats up your offering that relates a fun and funny tale.

TheDustyZebra - Nice twisty furniture story, right out of the woodwork. The best thing about these living furnishings, is that when you move, the items just crabwalk into the moving van Frightfully written and entertaining.

Thanks for the review SB!

You're welcome Tywin.

Many thanks for the review SB

You're very welcome Mr Orange.

Oh, it wasn't from a movie, man...the entity goes back far further than any movie...

Does it go further back then the story was published in 1820?

Thank you for the kind reviews, Starbeast and Victoria! :p

The amount of times I've wittered on about horror, I'd have to enter this month's 75!!! (And I'm embarrassed to say The Folding isn't even a novel!!! Just a very long short story that I'm finishing as part of my SS4 assignment for Springs) :oops: pH

You're mighty welcome Phyrebrat. No worries about the book. I'm happy you could be here.

Unexpected? I can't do horror, but I can manage bathos. Or was it that I didn't work in verse this time, but in reverse? Thanks for the comment, anyway.

You're welcome Chrispenycate. Even though you're out of your element (admittedly), I'm glad you choose to be among us.

Don't worry about it Karn. I forgot, I shouldn't be asking you questions relating to your tale.

So........How's your week going? See any good movies?

thankyou for the review starbeast! yay! i am eerie! i love that lake..its just great! :D

(karn, you stealth bombed me again, didn't you..? thankyou)

Great job with the reviews, Starbeast! And thank you for your kind review of my own story!! :)

Good month! Hard month...for listings and voting. Many stories deserving of a vote, I think. Here are my own choices:

Honorable mentions:
Juliana
VALIS13
holland
Hex
Void
Teresa
Victoria (my favorite title, I think...very clever! :))
darkchrome
Phyrebrat
StilLearning

Short list:
Robert Mackay
farntfar
Kerry
jastius

Finalists:
Culhwch
WinterLight

Vote: WinterLight. I loved this, and kept coming back to it in my thoughts-on-voting. I dig the rhythm and mood of this wonderful poem. Well done all, and best of luck in the voting to all participants! CC

thankyou for the review starbeast! yay! i am eerie! i love that lake..its just great! :D

You're welcome Jastius. Keep up the good work.

Great job with the reviews, Starbeast! And thank you for your kind review of my own story!! :)

You're welcome Cat's, and thank you for your wonderful comment. I feel like a Horror Host for a tv station.

Boneman - Excellent, slithering offering, that leads the reader to an unexpected thrill ride, a carnival ride. I hope the lines aren't long, because I'd like to go around with this one again. Wheeeeeee!

Thanks Starbeast! Now, to vote. there will be as hort intermission while I consider them all...

Back