DISCUSSION -- October 2014 75 Word Challenge

Thank you holland, Hex, c.c., and telford for the mentions and listings. Thank you alchemist for the vote!

A truly terrifying month; I shiver at the thought of reading through all the stories again and making my choice.

Thanks for the shortlisting, Parson. :)

And a nice twist on an old story? Hehe.

I wonder how many will actually get what mine was truly about. I'm sure our good Irish members will...I would suspect TE would as well. And perhaps some of the British members. Well, I would suspect the British members would too. In other words...many non-American members would.

This was hard to vote on and i think everyone did superbly. I voted Juliana after several reviews and much thought on all of them.
I loved the simplicity of Knit one purl one, its nice to think our loved ones stay, if we could but see them.

This was an extraordinary month indeed, and I was entirely unable to come up with a short list. As of right now, it's a seventeen-way tie for first place! That's strong evidence of the level of quality of this month's entries.

Starbeast - a belated thank you for my review. I think I may bake a batch of 'darkened freaky treat' for Friday :)

Thank for the reviews, Starbeast. I always like reading them.

A massive thanks for the mentions, Bowler1 and telford.

I'm gonna have a read through and cast my vote tomorrow. :)

Cat's Cradle and Hex - thank you so much for the mention.

I don't think I can do a shortlist, it'd be a bit of a misnomer as there's so much that's good, but I've made myself decide on a vote. For some reason, I feel an overwhelming urge to listen to some Nick Cave now ;)

My favourites this month were:
  • Victoria Silverwolf - leisurely pace for a 75 worder, evocative and Bradburyesque
  • HareBrain - amusing play on the age-old problem of villains taking their time to get the job done.
  • holland - smart way of using the 75 word genre, and a way that made the spookiness seem more immediate. hackles rising.
  • chrispenycate - an Adam’s family like twist in the tale.
  • Darkchrome - didn’t know what a moko jumbie was...but I do now.
  • Starbeast - I had a hard time trying not to look at the punchline (which I suspected would be there) but made it. Proper laugh out loud.
  • Phyrebrat - what a way to go - taken out by a vacuum bag entity
  • BigJ - Proper laugh out loud. Twice. Followed by a couple of milder chuckles.
  • The Judge - lol

Vote went to holland - for a 75 word story that was actually a bit scary.

Whoa, another vote, thanks Glen, glad you liked it! :D

And thanks for the mention Cat's Cradle, I just saw it now :)

Thank you for the review Starbeast. Much enjoyed!

Thank you for the mentions Bowler1 and Talysia :)

List & vote:

CatsCradle - Good fun.
farntfar - Great rhythm. Whole.
Ashleyne B. Watts - Chilling shivers.
Kerrybuchanan - Monster's point of view. Well told.
Victoria Silverwolf - A liberating night.
telford - Good tension building.
Hex - Wonderful description.
Teresa Edgerton - What we are not shown, scares us more.
Tywin - Could we love them the same after reanimation?
Phyrebrat - Making Henry's smile much more sinister.
Lukethebloody - Horror adventure.
Bowler1 - Imagery you can taste.
alchemist - Alien bigotry at its finest.
Boneman - A brilliant way to set up a bump.
David Evil Overlord - A place The Addams Family would recommend.
Culhwch - A terrifying lanky kidnap.
Parson - Original. A luring disguise.
TheDustyZebra - A ghoulish afterthought.

Also a little mention to springs, because I enjoyed what she first posted.

Yikes, a vote! Wasn't expecting that. Thanks Remedy, and to Parson for the mention.

Back