Books and Stories That Made You Cry -- MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Unfortunately not. There was much curiosity, intrigue, pondering, emotional navel-gazing, but not the others. There has been some music that brought tears to my eyes, but never a book.

Oh, okay. I thought you were impervious to all things. Some people respond more in various ways and times to books, movies, music.

I wish Gunga Din had been a Novel or at least a short story, Instead of a poem.

Interesting thought. I wonder if it would have slipped into common usage the way it has if it had been. Drifting a little OT but, just quick curiosity: do you not like poetry or do you just think it would have worked better otherwise?

Oh, okay. I thought you were impervious to all things. Some people respond more in various ways and times to books, movies, music.

Interesting thought. I wonder if it would have slipped into common usage the way it has if it had been. Drifting a little OT but, just quick curiosity: do you not like poetry or do you just think it would have worked better otherwise?

I like some poetry but I tend to prefer prose. In the Case of Gunga Din I think it would far better as prose story. The Thing that influences my opinion here the 1939 film which was based of the poem. Sam Jaffe in the role of Gunga Din. I very much liked the character.

I like some poetry but I tend to prefer prose. In the Case of Gunga Din I think it would far better as prose story. The Thing that influences my opinion here the 1939 film which was based of the poem. Sam Jaffe in the role of Gunga Din. I very much liked the character.

Cool - I wasn't familiar with that movie but I was just impressed by Sam Jaffe in The Asphalt Jungle (and of course he was fine in The Day the Earth Stood Still) and I see Ben Hecht worked on it. I'll keep an eye out.

This was the strange thing about Hyperion.

I had seen that book on the shelves FOR YEARS. And I had picked it up and looked at it and read the blurbs and concluded, "this is not my kind of book." I finally decided to do something different and get it under my belt and be able to say more than, "I know it ain't my kind of stuff".

But I found the story about the archaeologist that was affected by the pyramid (I think) and started ageing backwards. Then her parents had to "raise" her again while she kept getting younger. And then that last night where she goes to bed and doesn't say "See you later alligator". That was so sad.

But for me it is so ridiculous since the idea of getting 24 hours younger only if she goes to sleep is absurd. Then I find Hyperion really isn't a whole story. It is just the first half. 500 pages introducing characters then no explanation about what happens to them. So I had to read Fall of Hyperion.

No, it ain't my kind of story but the first half was better than I expected.

psik

Another Pangborn got to me, "Angel's Egg." Also Ray Bradbury's "Homecoming," which I'd nominate for best short American fantasy story of the 20th century.

Randy M.

Oh, yes, "Angel's Egg", definitely; and "Homecoming" is a beautiful and poignant story (as are so many by Bradbury).

I would also cite a few by Asimov: "The Ugly Little Boy" and "Eyes Do More than See", for instance.

i wouldn't consider myself one to cry when reading a novel, the ending of the Iain M. Banks' The Player of Games always makes my bottom lip wobble. Gurgeh is portrayed as quite a stand offish man that end up destroying the game of Azad. Perhaps the only thing that he ever truly loved.

Sticking with Iain M. Banks. The ending of Look to Windward is stunningly beautiful in my opinion.

The Dead Zone by Stephen King. The whole book was a downer.

There are quite a few books over the years that I have got a bit emotional about.

Rebels by Peter De Rossa. The final chapters where the leaders of the 1916 rebellion are facing execution always brings on the floods.

King Hereafter by Dorothy Dunnett. That final scene when Gruoch\Ingioborg is waiting alone in her tent for Macbeth\Thorfinn to return from a duel with Malcolm is heartrending.

Anything by David Gemmell tends to bring on the tears. Pagan's last stand in King Beyond the Gate is a nice piece of writing.

The final moments in The Lions of Al-Rassan is another tearjerker moment me.

All in all I get pretty emotional when reading and can inconsolable for days after a great read.

Wolf in Shadow by David Gemmell, I have read it countless times and every time it brings tears to my eye. Also Winter Warriors:
when Bison dies

Last edited by a moderator:
All the Way Back by Michael Shaara . A very cruel story

Queen of the Black Coast Robert E Howard

Belit was such a magnificent character.

Replay by Ken Grimwood
Doomsday Book by Connie Willis
11/22/63 by Stephen King

Les Miserables - Victor Hugo
The Green Mile - Stephen King
Lonesome Dove - Larry McMurtry

Everything that was the least bit sad or heart-achy used to make me cry. I'd cry at television commercials (this is not an exaggeration), but it's harder to make me cry now.

A book that has made me cry and cry and cry (there are so many scenes that pierce my heart) is Dickens's A Christmas Carol. I've shed a number of tears over The Once and Future King, too.

Going through Cabell's "Biography of the Life of Manuel", I found any number of instances where I was moved to tears. While most make the mistake of thinking the term "ironic comedy" (which is generally applied to most of his work) is synonymous with "satire", the truth of the matter is that a genuine ironic comedy is much closer to tragedy than what most people think of as comedy. The "comic" aspects come from the contrast between our ideals and our self-image (or sense of self-importance) and the reality of our flawed condition, coupled with the poignancy of our high aspirations to be better than what we all too often are... and this is a mainstay of this work, making the "comedy" often very bitter indeed, but not cynical or hateful. Rather, it tends to be of that poetic sensibility which combines such awareness with a certain wistful, Romantic view of life; hence far more often tends toward a rather somber sort of humor than the farcical sort most tend to think of.

Or, as John Charteris, the leading character of Beyond Life puts it: "[A]nd [it is] needfui, too, to speak of these [...] with flippant levity, because such enormities grow unbearable when regarded seriously..." Cabell often walks a very fine line between the two, and the combination is a powerful and very moving one.

Back