Best military SF series or books

hey Baylor. Have read Starship Troopers already but not Soldier Ask not. I'll put it in my list. Thnx a lot mate .
Hey Psik. I have already read all in this series. It was a nice one ;-) . Thnx once more mate

I'd thoroughly recommend Dan Abnett's Warhammer 40k books. Especially Titanicus and the Gaunt's. Ghosts books.

Germline by T. C. McCarthy is also an excellent read.

Gavin Smith. I have only Veteran, but I did enjoy it very much.

Rodders already tried Abnett's first book on Warhammer 40k Gaunt's Ghosts series, but couldn't say I was impressed.I've read Smith and he was ok. McCarthy not yet but I will try him also.
Chris I will try again The Forever war. I tried reading it once but couldn't go on with it at the beginning. Maybe it gets better later on?
Thnx guys ;-)

+1 for Starship Troopers.

As of now, I'm about a quarter of the way through The Forever War by Joe Haldeman. Pretty good so far.

I read some of Haleman's description of trying to sell The Forever War. He was told, "Nobody wants to read a science fiction story about Vietnam."

I think whoever said that got it backwards. I thought it was great. But I was in the draft lottery and lost. My number was over 300.

psik

What you don't say, Ashaman, is what particular aspect of MilSF you enjoy - in particular, do you like there to be a strong sense of military order, or are lone adventurers more it? I very much enjoyed Tanya Huff's "Valor" series, in part because of the "in the ranks" nature of it (Similar to Campbell's "Stark's War" in that particular way). You might like David Feintuch's "Seafort Saga", but some people find the main character difficult to be with - let's just say that he doesn't have a very proportionate view of his faults, and it can make the whole thing seem very negative. I liked them on first read through, but haven't felt the need to re-read (and I re-read a lot). Also, Elizabeth Moon's "Vatta's War" and "Serrano" series are good fun, with the former being a little more coherent and having a little less fox-hunting. However, "Once A Hero" in the Serrano series is as good and rollicking as MilSF gets, to my mind.

You might like David Feintuch's "Seafort Saga", but some people find the main character difficult to be with - let's just say that he doesn't have a very proportionate view of his faults, and it can make the whole thing seem very negative.

I couldn't finish that first book.

psik

Hey Robert. The reason I did not say about any particular aspect of MilSF I like is that I don't actually have a particular aspect that I like. I have read and liked Huff's Valor and Campbell's Stark series and read and liked (not very much though) the first books from the Seafort saga. For me it is mostly the prose of the writer and the story and not particular aspects that entice me in a book ;-) . I tried the Vatta's war first book and didn't really get into it so I left it.

When I was in a second hand bookshop today I came across a series of books from Andrew Keith. The Fifth Foreign Legion series (or trilogy maybe). I remember reading them and finding them quite enjoyable. The first one is called March or Die.

Also Andrew Keith wrote several Battletech novels. If you like big stompy robots I suggest checking out the Battletech books. I've read a few and some are quite good.

Hey Vince. Andrew Keith from what I understood, while searching for his books , is the brother of Ian Douglas and the Fifth Foreign Legion series is co-written by them both. I'd love to read it since I've liked every book from Ian Douglas that I've read but unfortunately I can't find any of the books to download or even buy in ebook format.

The Sten series by Chris Bunch are a enjoyable read or the Lost Fleet by Jack Campbell.

I quite liked the Seafort saga when I read it years ago but it did take a rather strange turn and I can't help feeling the author had some personal problems.

Hey Vince. Andrew Keith from what I understood, while searching for his books , is the brother of Ian Douglas and the Fifth Foreign Legion series is co-written by them both. I'd love to read it since I've liked every book from Ian Douglas that I've read but unfortunately I can't find any of the books to download or even buy in ebook format.

Abebooks is great for this sort of thing:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=Andrew+Keith&kn=Fifth+Foreign+Legion&sts=t

If you want to check out Battletech:

http://bg.battletech.com/?page_id=500

Hey Null_Zone. Thnx for the recommendations mate. I've read both of those series and liked them very much indeed. Seafort's saga as I said earlier was so and so.

Vince, once more than you mate. Unfortunately I'd prefer to find the books in electronic format to read them on my kindle. I will keep looking around. Thnx man ;-)

Helmsman series by Bill Baldwin

Starhunt and Voyage of the Star Wolf both by David Gerrold