1000th post, 973 words of a Young Adult draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

jastius

life is an awfully big adventure
975 words including working title.
something I have been playing around with for a little bit.
the second half of a chapter actually... but it is the part that needs a little something... that i am inflicting upon you here.

The Box

"You are afeared of him, then?" wee Davey demanded belligerently, still holding onto his beloved treasure with all the determination and resourcefulness only a three year old can muster in full battle against his adult wardens.

MacCaugh harrumphed, “Any sensible sorts would be afeared of a great and powerful wizard that had taken them in dislike." With a wrench that took the box entirely out of Davey’s grasp, he stomped off into the dark recesses of the cellar muttering "but ye would nae find any such creature around here, noooh! Here it be all 'Hey, MacCaugh, let's track us down us a wee night terror for a bit of exercise after supper! Then how’s about we can all knock up the doors of the wild hunt and have a bit of a run to round out the evening'! Barmy! The lot of them"... up the old groaning stairway he pounded, taking the light of the box with him. Leaving the children fidgeting in the gloom of the suddenly darkened cellar.

Hamish looked sideways at wee Davey who was still looking mutinously at the spot where his treasure once stood. Anna was deep in thought, chewing her coat button again. The violent working of her jaw as she ruminated suggested another 'very deep thought' approaching. Davey's cheeks were a bright red as his temper worked itself up. Hamish only hoped she would get her thought before Davey worked himself up into a roaring display of temper befitting his ginger hair. Or yowling display, to be accurate, seeing as Davey was still much more kit and cub then full lion, as yet.

"Hamish-"both Davey and Anna said in concert, though at wide variance in degree of amplification, but close enough to mimic the sound of the choral voice from the box, and make Hamish jump.
"One of you speaks at a time!" Hamish admonished them, as he shivered in remembered dread of the paralyzing enchantment of the box's voice. Anna nodded, once again serene as the travail of her idea’s birthing left her countenance.
“Hamish, the box called him, though it didn’t mean to.” Anna interjected, before Davey could get into full howl. . “It was calling something else. In.”
Anna went to say more but Davey had found his peeping roar, “Want MY box! HAMISH!!”

And with that last polyphonic syllable Mrs. MacCaugh wrenched open the cellar door, flooding the cellar with sunlight from the kitchen and the sounds of the radio and outside. They could hear MacCaugh ordering something indistinguishable in the background to Mrs. MacCaugh before slamming out the back door, with a nod. Turning to them with a frown, she scolded “Now you lot come up out of there! You’ll have your tea now or do without, mind!” She chivvied them from the cellar, grumbling “Imagine leaving good food to grow cold on the table!” and bolted the door firmly shut behind them.

Now in the light of the kitchen, Anna and Davey appeared coated with dust, which Davey was less than discretely itching at. Hamish gulped, looking at his hands coated in a thick layer of shimmering iridescence that glowed in the sunlight. It seemed to crawl and twist upon his skin, with a prickling sensation.
“Go and wash that dust off, and to the table right away!” she ordered with enough of the field marshal in her tone that they obeyed immediately.

Scurrying them along, Mrs. MacCaugh kept up a constant stream of words. Like a storm had broken through her previous taciturnity, crumbling that wall of silence. This sudden flood of words carried the children along in its wake with her, away from the cellar.

Mrs. MacCaugh tut-tutted their dusty condition. “Just imagine. City kids like you, all daft for playing in a dusty old cellar. Never understand why the professor went to buy that television set up for you. Well, it will be hot baths for the lot of you directly after you eat. I don’t want to be wiping that dusty mess off the furniture for the next fortnight.”
Hamish scrubbed with a will, erasing any dust upon his person, and helped Anna wipe down the squirming and protesting Davey, who hated all washing up on principle.

Hamish felt queerly stretched out of sorts from the incident in the cellar. He was very glad Mrs. MacCaugh had bolted the door against any possibility of return. Davey pushed by him into the sunny kitchen, the thunder of Davey's charge to the table eclipsing Hamish’s Stygian maundering.

Scrambling into his chair, Davey was fully distracted from his lost treasure by the prospect of Mrs. MacCaugh’s cooking. Davey banged his fork, chanting, “Tea! Tea! Tea!” at his empty plate. Hamish started. There was no tea made, much less waiting on the table to grow cold. He watched Mrs. MacCaugh hastily removing mashed potatoes left over from last night from the skillet, slapping it on the plates and sliding a hurriedly fried egg on top, still runny and burnt around the edges.
Anna and Davey wrestled over the catchup bottle, Anna trying to prevent Davey from covering his plate with catchup he would muck about in then refuse to eat, insisting upon a new meal. Feeling a modicum of normalcy takeover as he took refuge from the catchup battle in his egg and mashed, Hamish dared to look up at the painting that had started all this. His fork clanged on the floor as his hands went nerveless. With the pretense of reaching for his fork, Hamish peered up at the painting from underneath the nebulous protection of the lace cloth.

The box in the clearing was gone. The forest behind the clearing glowed as if it were on fire, except for one patch of darkness. Where two glowing yellow eyes swiveled in appraisal of the children. Then winked out.

===============
:eek: :eek: :D

Last edited:
975 words including working title.
something I have been playing around with for a little bit.
the second half of a chapter actually... but it is the part that needs a little something... that i am inflicting upon you here.

The Box

"You are afeared of him, then?" wee Davey demanded belligerently, still holding onto his beloved treasure with all the determination and resourcefulness only a three year old can muster in full battle against his adult wardens.

I really the voice of this - however, it is confusing because there is no clear POV - the omniscient isn't working for me in this.

Itwould be feart or possibly afeart. (I'm assuming you are attempting a little Scots)

MacCaugh harrumphed, “Any sensible sorts would be afeared of a great and powerful wizard that had taken them in dislike." With a wrench that took the box entirely out of Davey’s grasp, he stomped off into the dark recesses of the cellar muttering "but ye would nae find any such creature around here, noooh! Here it be all 'Hey, MacCaugh, let's track us down us a wee night terror for a bit of exercise after supper! Then how’s about we can all knock up the doors of the wild hunt and have a bit of a run to round out the evening'! Barmy! The lot of them"... up the old groaning stairway he pounded, taking the light of the box with him. Leaving the children fidgeting in the gloom of the suddenly darkened cellar.
Unless it is a dialogue tag (said, asked etc) usually dialogue is ended with a stop and the sentence after is a capital. This does feel like you are playing with the flow but to be honest it was difficult to read and follow.

Hamish looked sideways at wee Davey who was still looking mutinously at the spot where his treasure once stood. Anna was deep in thought, chewing her coat button again. The violent working of her jaw as she ruminated suggested another 'very deep thought' approaching. Davey's cheeks were a bright red as his temper worked itself up. Hamish only hoped she would get her thought before Davey worked himself up into a roaring display of temper befitting his ginger hair. Or yowling display, to be accurate, seeing as Davey was still much more kit and cub then full lion, as yet.

Who are all these people?

I need a clearer idea of who everyone is, where they are and why they are there.

Jastius, I agree that the voice is good. I also was confused but it is hard to get a full picture when it's a section of a larger piece. I will say that it lacked focus and that would be fixed by having a solid POV.

If you rework it from just one characters viewpoint, this would read a lot better I think.

Congrats on 1000th! It took me about 5 years to hit 1000 I think..or close...these last 1000 were a lot faster...so look out world

Interesting voice.

you have gloom and darkness and then whoever the POV is has such sharp eyes to see all that detail in the following paragraph. So how gloomy was it?

I'm a little confused - a 3 year old boy says "You are afeared of him, then?" Just that it sounds like someone older is speaking.

Anya, yes thankyou! that was exactly the things that were niggling at me.
would a precis help Anya?

Ratsy, the whole thing is sort of written flashback from hamish's point of view

TinkerDan, the box had lit up the room with glowing raysof light that turned out to be plumes of luminescent dust that covers the children, and still lights them up a bit. so their actions are illuminated against the general gloom of the cellar.

Ibrian, Davey is parroting a phrase that MacCaugh just used. Earlier it is established that Davey steals whole phrases and sentences from what he hears.

Hamish Anna and Davey are siblings. Their mother is ill and their father is called away on work so their father drops them off at their uncles home in a very small village.
their uncle is a university professor. MacCaugh is their uncles handyman gardener everything guy and Mrs MacCaugh is the housekeeper cook. the three kids are from the city and used to being entertained. so they get into trouble.very quickly ...and then even more trouble. and they have a cat with them named pretzels that is very good at steering them iin and out of mischief.
the wizard is a mean neighbour that theyy have already had a run in with, where he tried to bully the children when they caught him stealing a box, then anna kicked his giblets to mars and the kids got away. as they stole the box back.
the last bit is about the picture in the dining room that keeps changing and showed them the way to the box..

I thought this was excellent, a few things that didn't scan well for me.

Mrs. MacCaugh wrenched open the cellar door, flooding the cellar with sunlight from the kitchen and the sounds of the radio and outside.
I don't like the repetition of "cellar" here, perhaps the second word could be "room" or "space", or even "them".

Davey, who hated all washing up on principle.

Is "washing up" dialect? It jarred with me a little and I'd prefer simply "washing" or "bathing" here. However it could just be that I'm ignorant of the vernacular.

before Davey worked himself up into a roaring display of temper befitting his ginger hair. Or yowling display, to be accurate, seeing as Davey was still much more kit and cub then full lion, as yet.

I think this is a little clumsy because the phrase "befitting his ginger hair" interjects before you employ the altered comparison within the lion metaphor. You get away with it, but only just, I think it could be employed more smoothly.

The bolded "then" should be "than".

Lastly:

egg and mashed

Should that be "egg and mash"?

oh thank you mark! will insert bathing forthwith. then and than, also.

yes it is a clumsy bit, about davey's temper...(it makes me cringe to read it) i will try a refit.
mash instead of mashed, got it. (we call it mashed here, sometimes the slang is so close i get it confused)
again, thankyou.

ratsy, am working on the POV, trying to straighten the bendy bits into shape. :)

i brian,what if i aged up davey a year or maybe two? (but i still want him to be young enough to be an unknowing little savage to play into upcoming events)

anya i am trying to insert a few words of explanation without bogging it down.
again thanks all. :)

Last edited:
For Davey, maybe one of the other children could ask if he even knows what afeared means, since his siblings would know he parrots phrases without fully understanding their meaning...and his reaction is to lose his temper, because he doesn't know what it means, but he'd rather die than admit it...just a thought...

that is a super scene idea david.. would you mind if i saved it for when the fairy in the box asks davey to be her consort? and hamish loses his temper and says that in frustration? then davey wants an explanation of what it does mean...and anna interjects that it means taking a bath. to dissuade davey.

The premise helps.

I find it helpful when dealing with an almost ensemble type cast to keep the paragraphs or sentences separate whenever possible so it keeps the individual clearer in the mind of the reader. Also as I stated feeding it through one main character's eyes.

For example:

Hamish looked sideways at wee Davey who was still looking mutinously at the spot where his treasure once stood.

Anna was deep in thought, chewing her coat button again. The violent working of her jaw as she ruminated suggested another 'very deep thought' approaching.

Davey's cheeks were a bright red as his temper worked itself up. Hamish only hoped Anna would get her thought before Davey worked himself up into a roaring display of temper befitting his ginger hair. Or yowling display, to be accurate, seeing as Davey was still much more kit and cub then full lion, as yet.

Or:

Hamish scrubbed with a will, erasing any dust upon his person. Once done, he helped Anna wipe down the squirming and protesting Davey, who hated all washing up on principle.

Wee Davy isn't consistent which I think maybe the problem. I've no problem with him being intelligent and wordy because all the older people around him are. Simplifying the dialogue in places would work:

"You are afeart of him?"

And

"Hamish! My box!"

Italics tend to be less annoying than all caps at indicating emphasis. At least I was told when I first started writing and used "ANGUS!".

Anya that change is so subtle its amazing. Brilliant suggestion!
no wonder they chose you for the course, you are spectacular!
rewriting it up, and thank you all for the help. you all are lovely!

ps. DEO, i am rewriting the beginning to show davey as more stubborn to admit his lack of knowledge of things. thankyou for the wonderful suggestion.

I'm a little confused - a 3 year old boy says "You are afeared of him, then?" Just that it sounds like someone older is speaking.

Me too on above. All the characters were hard to follow and because it didn't seem to be from one character the section didn't feel very focused. Background description was light for me. I expect this kitchen has been described before, but maybe give us something to link back to the kitchen like the smell of Mrs MacCaugh's food, or other memory planted from when the kitchen was first described.

Also the word "the" felt over used. Its not always easy to take "the" away, but here I felt there were times when the word "the" was not needed. Do a word search and see what you think.

However, it was a very good post. You have a clear writing voice full of promise that I enjoyed reading. For your 1k post, a well earned congratulations.

thankyou bowler.. ummm.. the other idea i was trying to convey is that the box has infected davey with something bigger .. (a sort of spirit guide as it turns out, but that is telling).
the whole thing wasoriginally contemperary, but now i am receeding it a bit into maybe early nineteen sixties, to help explain the mum's condition without falling back upon anything too dire and untreatable.
it also will add some flavour to the background.
but i have refted whole sections of description out to avoid re-explaining/describing.
...so it is sparce. i will write some back in if you think it too bland. was worried because i tend to drone on a bit, falling in love with the rhythm of the words.
too many direct objects then?? i caught all the and's early on, but i missed those the's.
thankyou bowler!

Sorry, Jastius this one slipped past me. 1000 posts, eh? And then all the rest in the playrooms... :D

The Box

MacCaugh harrumphed, “Any sensible sorts would be afeared of a great and powerful wizard that had taken them in dislike." With a wrench that took the box entirely out of Davey’s grasp, he stomped off into the dark recesses of the cellar mutteringcomma "but ye would nae find any such creature around here, noooh! Here it be all 'Hey, MacCaugh, let's track us down us a wee night terror for a bit of exercise after supper! Then how’s about we can all knock up the doors of the wild hunt and have a bit of a run to round out the evening'! Barmy! The lot of them"... up the old groaning stairway he pounded, taking the light of the box with him. Leaving the children fidgeting in the gloom of the suddenly darkened cellar.

So, I get the accent (I hope it's Scottish and not Irish venacular because that's how it reads to me) but I think it's a little too much if it keeps going in such a strong vein. Also, I suspect wee Davey might be Wee Davey - the wee tends to form part of the name in that sort of instance.

"Hamish-"both Davey and Anna said in concert, though at wide variance in degree of amplification, but close enough to mimic the sound of the choral voice from the box, and make Hamish jump.
"One of you speaks at a time!" Hamish admonished them, as he shivered in remembered dread of the paralyzing enchantment of the box's voice. Anna nodded, once again serene as the travail of her idea’s birthing left her countenance.

I'm losing track a bit in this paragraph and think it could be a wee bit simpler.

“Hamish, the box called him, though it didn’t mean tocomma.” Anna interjected, before Davey could get into full howl. .extra full stop “It was calling something else. In.”
Anna went to say more but Davey had found his peeping roar, “Want MY box! HAMISH!!”

And with that last polyphonic syllable Mrs. MacCaugh wrenched open the cellar door, flooding the cellar with sunlight from the kitchen and the sounds of the radio and outside. They could hear MacCaugh ordering something indistinguishable in the background to Mrs. MacCaugh before slamming out the back door, with a nod. Turning to them with a frown, she scoldedcomma “Now you lot come up out of there! You’ll have your tea now or do without, mind!” She chivvied them from the cellar, grumblingfull stop (I think, it could arguably be a dialogue tag as well.) “Imagine leaving good food to grow cold on the table!” and bolted the door firmly shut behind them.

Actually, I think it might be a comma ie
She chivvied them from the cellar, grumbling, "Imagine leaving good food to grow cold on the table" and bolted the door shut behind them.

Once you use the ! you close the sentence, which then means you'd have to change the end to She bolted, and that loses the nice flow you have at the moment.

“Go and wash that dust off, and to the table right away!” shewho? I mean, I do know, but it took me out because we were with Hamish ordered with enough of the field marshal in her tone that they obeyed immediately.

Scurrying them along, Mrs. MacCaugh kept up a constant stream of words. Like a storm had broken through her previous taciturnity, crumbling that wall of silence. This sudden flood of words carried the children along in its wake with her, away from the cellar.

Mrs. MacCaugh tut-tutted their dusty condition. “Just imagine. City kids like you, all daft for playing in a dusty old cellar. Never understand why the professor went to buy that television set up for you. Well, it will be hot baths for the lot of you directly after you eat. I don’t want to be wiping that dusty mess off the furniture for the next fortnight.” This dialogue for me is fine, and has enough Scottishness in it to carry for me.

Scrambling into his chair, Davey was fully distracted from his lost treasure by the prospect of Mrs. MacCaugh’s cooking. Davey banged his fork, chanting, “Tea! Tea! Tea!” at his empty plate. Hamish started. There was no tea made, much less waiting on the table to grow cold. He watched Mrs. MacCaugh hastily removing mashed potatoes left over from last night from the skillet, slapping it on the plates and sliding a hurriedly fried egg on top, still runny and burnt around the edges. Well, that is tea. She has an egg - I might need the context of what Hamish considers to be tea - is it a cup of tea he was expecting, or a full dinner?

Anna and Davey wrestled over the catchupketchup bottle, Anna trying to prevent Davey from covering his plate with catchup he would muck about incomma then refuse to eat, insisting upon a new meal. Feeling a modicum of normalcy takeover as he took refuge from the catchup battle in his egg and mashed potato, or just mash, we wouldn't call it mashed, Hamish dared to look up at the painting that had started all this. His fork clanged on the floor as his hands went nerveless. With the pretense of reaching for his fork, Hamish peered up at the painting from underneath the nebulous protection of the lace cloth.

The box in the clearing was gone. The forest behind the clearing glowed as if it were on fire, except for one patch of darkness. Where two glowing yellow eyes swiveled in appraisal of the children. Then winked out.

===============
:eek: :D
[/QUOTE:eek:]

I liked it, although I got a bit lost in places. A few wee punctuation bits and pieces stood out, but nothing major. Characters were likeable. I think there are a few tricks you're missing to make it sound genuinely scottish (but I'm not sure if Hamish is), like calling ketchup tomato sauce, which is what most people I know refer to it as - ketchup is quite posh for these people, I think, and having mashed instead of mash which comes across as a little american to me.

===============
:eek: :D
[/QUOTE:eek:]

I liked it, although I got a bit lost in places. A few wee punctuation bits and pieces stood out, but nothing major. Characters were likeable. I think there are a few tricks you're missing to make it sound genuinely scottish (but I'm not sure if Hamish is), like calling ketchup tomato sauce, which is what most people I know refer to it as - ketchup is quite posh for these people, I think, and having mashed instead of mash which comes across as a little american to me.

Ketchup or sauce would work.

It would be mashed tattie for the potato.

Status
Not open for further replies.